Let's satisfy 2 types of players, easily.

MR_SubnauticaMR_Subnautica SoCal Join Date: 2016-11-27 Member: 224300Members
I've thought of a way to satisfy both the hardcore gamers and still make the crazy expensive investment of the Cyclops not be lost in the event of its death.

Instead of having the sub become destroyed completely by it's implosion, why not have it sink and need repairs? Make the repairs not cost quite as much as a new cyclops, but still expensive.

I personally like the idea of not having an invulnerable cyclops, but the cost is very high considering a few small sharks can kill it so easily.

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I think it should depend on how much damage it takes. If it's only killed by a little bit past its health, let it sink and be recoverable. If it's being blasted by a Sea Dragon Leviathan again and again even as it sinks (100s / 1000s past its full hitpoints), then let it explode.
  • DracobombaDracobomba Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215502Members
    The problem is that once it's repaired it will sink again because it could be below depth limit. If you're above that depth limit, sure, but a cyclops killed by pressure would be irretrievable, so it would be difficult to make a repair function possible.
  • MR_SubnauticaMR_Subnautica SoCal Join Date: 2016-11-27 Member: 224300Members
    edited April 2017
    What about a specific type of repair recipe that makes ballast balloons to lift it up to either the surface or to specific depths to facilitate proper repairs?
  • Gunbone_CLGunbone_CL Wisconsin Rapids Wisconsin Join Date: 2016-09-15 Member: 222348Members
    I like the new cyclops, its a big sag you cant take anywhere, and it adds a WAY more imma DIE vibe to the game!
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    What about a specific type of repair recipe that makes ballast balloons to lift it up to either the surface or to specific depths to facilitate proper repairs?

Agreed! I've often thought Subnautica needs lift bags.
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    the changes to the sub were for the best because it made veteran players care about the sub again.
  • DarthOmnisDarthOmnis United States Join Date: 2016-12-15 Member: 224970Members
    edited April 2017

Agreed! I've often thought Subnautica needs lift bags.

If I'm not mistaken, that's the function of floaters. If anything, being able to repair a damaged cyclops would give them more of a function than just boulder removal.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    What if there was a cloaking device that drained power like crazy but could be unseeable to animal life.
  • DarthOmnisDarthOmnis United States Join Date: 2016-12-15 Member: 224970Members
    ShuttleBug wrote: »
    What if there was a cloaking device that drained power like crazy but could be unseeable to animal life.

Essentially, that is what the Silent Running mode is for. Yes, you can still be attacked however it will be much harder for the territorial critters to detect you. I believe that the devs did say they were going to retool the shield module a bit to allow for longer use at the cost of additional power and that it would dislodge the lava larva form the hull.
    DarthOmnis wrote: »

Essentially, that is what the Silent Running mode is for. Yes, you can still be attacked however it will be much harder for the territorial critters to detect you. I believe that the devs did say they were going to retool the shield module a bit to allow for longer use at the cost of additional power and that it would dislodge the lava larva form the hull.

I'm sorry. Did not realize this feature was already in development :)

I should have prefaced that it was in Experimental Mode that's my fault.

But yes, there will be an update to the Cyclops that adds a few different traversal modes that go from fast and loud to slow and quiet. Also, the Cyclops will no longer be indestructible; it will have health and if damaged, will slowly catch fire until repaired. The biggest complaint so far in the community is that the Cyclops is too fragile now and the fires occur too often and can spread quickly.

I believe that the devs have acknowledged this and are going to tweak it a bit before it's released to the stable build.

I should have prefaced that it was in Experimental Mode that's my fault.

But yes, there will be an update to the Cyclops that adds a few different traversal modes that go from fast and loud to slow and quiet. Also, the Cyclops will no longer be indestructible; it will have health and if damaged, will slowly catch fire until repaired. The biggest complaint so far in the community is that the Cyclops is too fragile now and the fires occur too often and can spread quickly.

I believe that the devs have acknowledged this and are going to tweak it a bit before it's released to the stable build.

I know about the cyclops updates but I usually play in stable and have only played in creative mode recently :)
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    I really like the idea of being able to repair the Cyclops. But I just had a thought... We don't really have a repair mechanism anywhere in the game. Similarly, we don't have any other "damaged" items that require repair. So, making it so you can repair the Cyclops means the developers have to come up with a whole new game concept, etc, etc.
    garath wrote: »
    I really like the idea of being able to repair the Cyclops. But I just had a thought... We don't really have a repair mechanism anywhere in the game. Similarly, we don't have any other "damaged" items that require repair. So, making it so you can repair the Cyclops means the developers have to come up with a whole new game concept, etc, etc.

Technically there is already a repair mechanic in the game, the simplistic repair tool. :p I do realize what you are wanting to convey, being able to rebuild a vehicle from a wreckage or similarly perform a large patch job from you last run in with Reaper McGee over there would add a nice divergence from the mostly linear progression of the game. It would be cool to have the choice of either building from scratch a guaranteed vehicle, or risk it and finding an pre-existing albeit badly damaged vehicle costing less resources but only if you can even locate one in the first place.

And to bring this whole conversation full circle, these wreckages could only be found below the minimum crush depth, requiring you to utilize the floaters to even be able to salvage the vehicle.