Development Updates

Comments

• MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    Personally, I don't want it too easy to find the resources for the more complicated/elaborate items, as the main premise of the game is Survival and one shouldn't really be able to create a computer chip or wiring kit at the drop of a hat.
    B)

Agreed. The devs need to find that balance of not allowing everything to be found within 10 minutes of starting the game, but at the same time they need to be able to ensure that people do not become too frustrated that they stop playing. Not an easy thing to do. :smile:
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Myrm wrote: »
    Personally, I don't want it too easy to find the resources for the more complicated/elaborate items, as the main premise of the game is Survival and one shouldn't really be able to create a computer chip or wiring kit at the drop of a hat.
    B)

Agreed. The devs need to find that balance of not allowing everything to be found within 10 minutes of starting the game, but at the same time they need to be able to ensure that people do not become too frustrated that they stop playing. Not an easy thing to do. :smile:

I agree completely.
  • Carl_BarCarl_Bar Join Date: 2017-02-03 Member: 227560Members
    kingkuma wrote: »
    B)

I agree completely.

This. The problem with silver being so rare at the moment is that it involves a lot of going into areas where, especially early on, it's tough to survive, (because super high stalker density). To be fair it's as bad or worse getting your first seed pods for a knife and then your first vine for flippers.

The game has this issue where right out the pod your faced with an outright difficulty cliff of EVE Online proportions. Then once you get the basic seabase, personal gear, and seaglide out the way the game becomes, i don't want to say easy, but your not fighting desperately just to get by, then later on as you run out the wrecks you once again slam into a massive difficulty cliff as you have to enter reaper infested areas to progress, and then shortly after that you should at normal progression get the cyclops, which (by all accounts), suddenly turns the rest of the game into a trivial experiance. The curve need those extreme peaks taking out IMO.
  • nocommonsensenocommonsense Join Date: 2016-08-16 Member: 221427Members
    I had a game glitch with not just one but two reapers hanging out in the safe shallows in view from my lifepod (happened right after visiting the aurora in a seamoth). Having only one plum the depths near the mountain and one near the aurora is worth a jump scare for newbies but hardly an actual barrier to progress (and the dunes doesn't have much for progression).
  • AladortheDragonAladortheDragon Kansas Join Date: 2017-02-12 Member: 227831Members
    Hello Subnautica, I understand that it can take time, months or even longer to create large detailed structures but I do have some ideas so please hear me out! OK so to get started I think that we can all say that the submarines in the game are awesome! Others may not be so fond of them but to my perspective (and others) I think I can figure out that we would like some more vehicles, even though we have the Cyclops, Seamoth, and the Prawn Suit; but what if there were more vehicles, one's a little more interesting! So at this point I believe that you have heard of the 3 concept art submarines with the names being Manta, Draconis, and Shark <---(Not Official), so here is where this get's interesting so as you know we have the Cyclops which is not exactly made for the conditions of the Lava Biome, so since the Draconis is a very armored submarine it could serve some purpose there or even for encountering other powerful creatures such as the Sea Dragon, Sea Emperor, and even the Reaper Leviathan. http://i.imgur.com/iCszsQs.png <--- (Draconis Image Link)

Next up we have the Manta! Now if you look at the image the size looks Massive!; but in fact that is still not the biggest submarine that I am covering but we will get to that eventually! So the Manta is a very big submarine and in my perspective couldn't really be used as a usable exploring submarine, instead it could be used as a sub-base (Submarine Base), I say this because it has very large expanding sides which looks as if it could provide enough for 4 people considering that the living space is almost like a rounded out square. Now this would be a great submarine for those that can't build a base at certain depth and there main base (or other bases) are too far away so the manta could be used for an emergency base that would be big enough to provide enough living space to provide a Bedroom, Food supply room (Fish tanks and ETC), Storage room, and even possibly a room to be used for constructing! I believe that this would be a great idea since we can't always build a base but to my perspective the Manta still looks to be big enough to house the Cyclops with the Cyclops housing the Seamoth or Prawn Suit! http://i.imgur.com/S4gWnYo.png <--- (Manta Image Link)

For the third and final of my suggestions we have the one and only submarine, Shark! Now this submarine for sure looks capable enough to house the Draconis housing the Cyclops housing either the Seamoth or Prawn Suit (assuming the Draconis can house the Cyclops)! Now the shark would be great because even though if the other two submarines were to be implemented, they would still not be foreseeable to withstand the Sea Emperor. However Assuming that the Manta or Draconis can withhold the Sea Emperor it would still be a very nice submarine to have considering that you could be the king of the sea. Along with the implantation these submarines could be new technology to make them! Also another thing the Shark would be great for those who want to explore the Subnautica in deep depths that the Seamoth and Prawn Suit somehow would not be able to handle. Even though that the Shark is the biggest submarine by far it would be great for fending of those fierce Reaper Leviathans! The Shark would also be a great way to explore the depths of the Aurora or even Pre Cursor locations! Finally along with the Sharks Enormous size it could be used as a base just like the Manta except more practical for moving to locations. http://i.imgur.com/6O9Lze6.png <--- (Shark Image Link)

Anyways thanks for reading this Subnautica and I hope that you can take these submarines into consideration and possibly think of implementing them into the PC game whenever possible! I believe that it would an amazing improvement and update if these submarines were to be implemented into the game! Anyway's until then I will be watching closely for more updates to subnautica (PC)! Thank's. P.S. If you could, please send me details of any info that you think of these submarines!
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Hello Subnautica, I understand that it can take time, months or even longer to create large detailed structures but I do have some ideas so please hear me out! OK so to get started I think that we can all say that the submarines in the game are awesome! Others may not be so fond of them but to my perspective (and others) I think I can figure out that we would like some more vehicles, even though we have the Cyclops, Seamoth, and the Prawn Suit; but what if there were more vehicles, one's a little more interesting! So at this point I believe that you have heard of the 3 concept art submarines with the names being Manta, Draconis, and Shark <---(Not Official), so here is where this get's interesting so as you know we have the Cyclops which is not exactly made for the conditions of the Lava Biome, so since the Draconis is a very armored submarine it could serve some purpose there or even for encountering other powerful creatures such as the Sea Dragon, Sea Emperor, and even the Reaper Leviathan. http://i.imgur.com/iCszsQs.png <--- (Draconis Image Link)

Next up we have the Manta! Now if you look at the image the size looks Massive!; but in fact that is still not the biggest submarine that I am covering but we will get to that eventually! So the Manta is a very big submarine and in my perspective couldn't really be used as a usable exploring submarine, instead it could be used as a sub-base (Submarine Base), I say this because it has very large expanding sides which looks as if it could provide enough for 4 people considering that the living space is almost like a rounded out square. Now this would be a great submarine for those that can't build a base at certain depth and there main base (or other bases) are too far away so the manta could be used for an emergency base that would be big enough to provide enough living space to provide a Bedroom, Food supply room (Fish tanks and ETC), Storage room, and even possibly a room to be used for constructing! I believe that this would be a great idea since we can't always build a base but to my perspective the Manta still looks to be big enough to house the Cyclops with the Cyclops housing the Seamoth or Prawn Suit! http://i.imgur.com/S4gWnYo.png <--- (Manta Image Link)

For the third and final of my suggestions we have the one and only submarine, Shark! Now this submarine for sure looks capable enough to house the Draconis housing the Cyclops housing either the Seamoth or Prawn Suit (assuming the Draconis can house the Cyclops)! Now the shark would be great because even though if the other two submarines were to be implemented, they would still not be foreseeable to withstand the Sea Emperor. However Assuming that the Manta or Draconis can withhold the Sea Emperor it would still be a very nice submarine to have considering that you could be the king of the sea. Along with the implantation these submarines could be new technology to make them! Also another thing the Shark would be great for those who want to explore the Subnautica in deep depths that the Seamoth and Prawn Suit somehow would not be able to handle. Even though that the Shark is the biggest submarine by far it would be great for fending of those fierce Reaper Leviathans! The Shark would also be a great way to explore the depths of the Aurora or even Pre Cursor locations! Finally along with the Sharks Enormous size it could be used as a base just like the Manta except more practical for moving to locations. http://i.imgur.com/6O9Lze6.png <--- (Shark Image Link)

Anyways thanks for reading this Subnautica and I hope that you can take these submarines into consideration and possibly think of implementing them into the PC game whenever possible! I believe that it would an amazing improvement and update if these submarines were to be implemented into the game! Anyway's until then I will be watching closely for more updates to subnautica (PC)! Thank's. P.S. If you could, please send me details of any info that you think of these submarines!

Trust me, if it were practical (or even possible) we would have had these subs a long time ago.

But these subs would have to be bigger than the Cyclops, which is already difficult to drive if you're not in 200+ meter deep water.

And the devs already have their hands full with just getting out what they have planned, and fixing the bugs that plague the games of Subnautica players all over.

Including their recent frame rate problems.

Besides, they seem set upon not adding another sub. At least until after v1.0.

From what I can see, if it's not on the Trello roadmap, it's not happening right now. Give or take a few things.

Sadly, these subs seem to be doomed to being only concept art for the foreseeable future.
  • WarzouzWarzouz Join Date: 2016-11-05 Member: 223674Members
    I don't find additional subs useful. Cyclops is already too powerful. With it, you nearly don't need any base. You can grow you food in it (especially those OP melons) and exploration becomes very easy.

I would prefer improving the Seamoth (better visibility) and more interesting cyclops (sonar ?, less OP, maybe harder to build = without batteries)
  • AladortheDragonAladortheDragon Kansas Join Date: 2017-02-12 Member: 227831Members
    Skope wrote: »

Trust me, if it were practical (or even possible) we would have had these subs a long time ago.

But these subs would have to be bigger than the Cyclops, which is already difficult to drive if you're not in 200+ meter deep water.

And the devs already have their hands full with just getting out what they have planned, and fixing the bugs that plague the games of Subnautica players all over.

Including their recent frame rate problems.

Besides, they seem set upon not adding another sub. At least until after v1.0.

From what I can see, if it's not on the Trello roadmap, it's not happening right now. Give or take a few things.

Sadly, these subs seem to be doomed to being only concept art for the foreseeable future.

I know this but it would bring an interesting update and the subs could even be able to be Alien technology and add on to the story after 1.0! Also these are just some of my ideas brought by concept art. It would be really nice to see these subs added in the future!
    edited February 2017
    Warzouz wrote: »
    I don't find additional subs useful. Cyclops is already too powerful. With it, you nearly don't need any base. You can grow you food in it (especially those OP melons) and exploration becomes very easy.

I would prefer improving the Seamoth (better visibility) and more interesting cyclops (sonar ?, less OP, maybe harder to build = without batteries)

I Understand this as well but their really is not much that you can do with the Cyclops considering that you can't put an Upgrading module for the Seamoth or Prawn Suit in the Cyclops and most power sources are not allowed in the Cyclops either.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited February 2017
    The new Ion Power Cells that one can make from Precursor Tech, will most likely diminish the need to recharge the Cyclops as often.

And in case you don't know, if you mount a Power Cell Charger Unit in the Cyclops (at the moment), you can recharge them as often as you like with a minimal loss of capability.

Which means you can explore the sea four hours and hours and hours...

B)

• ArcticWarriorArcticWarrior Join Date: 2017-01-27 Member: 227305Members
    edited February 2017
    thebiga00 wrote: »
    New member here.I personally would love to see an update where they add human survivor npcs and you find them on wrecked ships and you bring them back to your base on a sort of carrier ship and you have to build rooms for them and build relationships

So here's my idea relating to that:
    (SPOILER alert at the end)

For me at least, having you meet other people would ruin it. I think that you should get a message from other survivors saying to meet at the rendezvous point (probably the floating island). On your way to the island, when you are approaching, you see the small silhouette s of the other people. You are not close enough to them to talk or anything, just close enough to see them. Suddenly you notice a tail in the water. It's a reaper! The reaper jumps up into the air and grabs one of the survivors, as well as knocking the others into the water. Their screams are silenced. The ocean is tinted red, but neither the reaper or the survivors can be found.

I think this would truly give a sense of isolation, similar to when the sunbeam is shot down.
  • El_HadschiEl_Hadschi Join Date: 2016-11-28 Member: 224316Members
    Is there a date for the next stable update?
    Probably sometime during the week of Feb 21st.
    B)
  • YoruYoru Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228345Members
    Was the recent update for xbox one only or will there be an update for pc as well soon. The only things I've seen so far are for xbox one and i havent heard anything so far for a pc update. I had also read somewhere on the forums that the next update would include the inside textures and would add more to the lost river precursor base, is there any truth in that? Just wondering to help clear up some confusion on my end.
    edited February 2017
    There was a tentative update planned for the PC last Tuesday the 21st, but it got bumped to possibly be released tomorrow the 28th.
    We'll just have to wait and see if it occurs.

As far as what will be included, we have a lot of guesses and many of them will probably be correct, but we never really know what exactly will be in the updates till they actually get released.
    B)
  • YoruYoru Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228345Members
    Alright, good to know! Thanks!
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
  • TheBaneOfStalkersTheBaneOfStalkers Texas Join Date: 2017-03-01 Member: 228451Members
    Fourth bunch of ideas :
    • Naming the cyclops is really cool; why not do the same with the life pod and the seamoth ?
    • The map needs a sort of polar biome with ice caves, creatures and resources only found near ice
    • Whenever the seamoth, cyclops, escape pod or a base is almost out of power, white light all around could be replaced by dark red light to add more drama (for Awesomecrunch : https://youtube.com/watch?v=B1epB_KLO5U)
    • Depending on which biome a creature can be found, different creatures should see only certain colours of light (so for instance, creatures living in the kelp biome are very sensitive to green light, creatures living on the grassy plateaus have a sense of sight similar to ours, creatures living deep can't see red light...)
    • Following the last idea, the flashlight and headlight on the seaglide could be upgraded using the workbench so that they produce a certain colour, depending on where the player is planning to go
    • I've heard that the developers are working on a sort of plantation that can be grown on reefbacks. That is an EXCELLENT idea, but remember that reefbacks move, so it'd be difficult to find the plantation again. The only way to easily find an area is to place a beacon close by, but beacons don't move; they just float in mid-water. So here's my idea : beacons can be upgraded using the workbench so that they actually stick to the belly of a reefback or other large animal. That way the player would never loose his/her plantations.

yes we need planations floating randomly around on reefbacks, or maybe just sticky beacons u put it on it then u can track it down and get the stuff, also they have little plants growing on it already
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Planet Explorers made a few weird choices. The scanner made sense, though. You got more scanning ability as you went along in the plot line, and roughly as much as you got new blueprints.

If there was more/better scanning, and it was upgraded several times to find deeper/different resources, that would give a way to soft-gate player progression. You could still find stuff, but as you went along, you could find more of the stuff more easily with better scanners.

Also: Cyclops still needs a scanner bay. Maybe not so much a camera drone, but at least a mobile scanner. Then, put in some upgrade slots to fill with precursor toys to make the scanner better, and... done?
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    Planet Explorers made a few weird choices. The scanner made sense, though. You got more scanning ability as you went along in the plot line, and roughly as much as you got new blueprints.

If there was more/better scanning, and it was upgraded several times to find deeper/different resources, that would give a way to soft-gate player progression. You could still find stuff, but as you went along, you could find more of the stuff more easily with better scanners.

Also: Cyclops still needs a scanner bay. Maybe not so much a camera drone, but at least a mobile scanner. Then, put in some upgrade slots to fill with precursor toys to make the scanner better, and... done?

A reason to revisit or recolonise more/earlier biomes?
    Oh for goodness sake! Another delay on the update. Another week to wait!!! Grrrrrrr!!!!! :#

Yes, yes, I know, it's best to wait until the bugs are ironed out before the release. It's just that I look so forward to it! :D:)
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Oh for goodness sake! Another delay on the update. Another week to wait!!! Grrrrrrr!!!!! :#

Yes, yes, I know, it's best to wait until the bugs are ironed out before the release. It's just that I look so forward to it! :D:)

Where did you see "another week"? Watching the daily check-ins with new features and such, I would be surprised if the next "stable" build occurred before September. :)
    One of the Dev's posted a day ago, that it would probably be next week sometime.
    B)
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    One of the Dev's posted a day ago, that it would probably be next week sometime.
    B)

The Subnautica developers are absolutely brilliant. I hope they can meet do that. But even if they can't, they are still awesome.

• happysyckohappysycko Join Date: 2017-01-21 Member: 227053Members
    Dear Badass Developers:

I think that i have played more than a handful of early access games, and never have i ever seen such support from the development team like this game has received. I wish i could meet you guys in person and shake your hands, because i love gaming and have a huge passion for being part of its community. If i see their names on anything i am sure to instantly look into whatever it may be. Keep up the great work and i hope this game leads to great opportunities in the future!

Sincerely

Your Friendly Neighborhood happysycko
    garath wrote: »

Where did you see "another week"? Watching the daily check-ins with new features and such, I would be surprised if the next "stable" build occurred before September. :)

On the Subnautica Trello Roadmap page. Date went from 20 April to 28th. That's just about one week in my book.
    So, it was supposed to be released today (26th), but lo and behold ... yes, another delay, albeit by one day. <sigh> B)
    Have They ever actually released an update on a Wednesday?
    B)
    Have They ever actually released an update on a Wednesday?
    B)

No, but that won't prevent me from locking myself naked to their office doors in protest (and even possible conduct a dirty protest) if they don't release it today. :D