BALANCE DISCUSSION!

2»

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Mephilles wrote: »
    Isn't the balancing for skill a mechanic issue, on how easy it is to execute for example? Also I will honestly say I have no idea how well the tech paths are balanced in between each other in vanilla ns2. I can say that compmod is basically reduced to one valid techpath (with minor variations), especially for marines.

You could make balancing for skill a non-issue by reducing the skill curve drastically via mechanics. I am not sure everyone, including myself, is on board with that.

I am of the opinion that the validity of techpaths is incredibly limited. NS2 is filled with these non-choices whether most of the player base realizes it or not. The tech path options are incredibly limited in their effectiveness. A1/W1 arms lab start is the go to because it is so generally effective, while other options are not. Marines are incredibly limited in their tech paths. Aliens have a little more flexibility, but still have very few effective tech paths.

I would think comp, maybe without compmod, has more tech path options because they have the teamwork to actually capitalize on another tech path.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited April 2017
    Currently is a2 before w1 also very viable since you have higher chances surviving against fades with a2 than with a1/w1.. especially if you're a bit behind
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Handschuh wrote: »
    Currently is a2 before w1 also very viable since you have higher chances surviving against fades with a2 than with a1/w1.. especially if you're a bit behind

I agree. What I meant was starting with arms lab, as opposed to other tech paths.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    PGs first or Robo first is a very rare sight