Nuclear reactor doesn't always work.

LAZYNOOB2017LAZYNOOB2017 United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-12-31 Member: 225824Members
edited April 2017 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
What I don't get is how everything is fine at first in terms of power but then it all falls apart for no apparent reason. How is it that 4-5 thermal reactors in an area at 28°C, a bio reactor and a nuclear reactor with 4 rods in it can't keep up with one water filtration machine? I mean c'mon! And no the rods aren't depleted.

Comments

• GlassDeviantGlassDeviant Terra Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228342Members
    No idea about the nuclear reactor, I have never built one as I've never needed one.

This might be a problem with your particular save file, I have three thermal reactors around a geyser/thermal vent (whatever it is) powering my base (plus a bioreactor but I rarely fuel it), and it can handle two water purifiers while recharging a seamoth and a PRAWN and running the fabricator through some fairly lengthy production.

The...whatever it is...is located in the starting area (safe shallows) at around -67, -27, -427 and is over 40 degrees, perhaps your thermal reactors need more heat than 28 degrees. Are they connected via Power Transmitters? I am pretty sure you need at least one.
  • LAZYNOOB2017LAZYNOOB2017 United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-12-31 Member: 225824Members
    No idea about the nuclear reactor, I have never built one as I've never needed one.

This might be a problem with your particular save file, I have three thermal reactors around a geyser/thermal vent (whatever it is) powering my base (plus a bioreactor but I rarely fuel it), and it can handle two water purifiers while recharging a seamoth and a PRAWN and running the fabricator through some fairly lengthy production.

The...whatever it is...is located in the starting area (safe shallows) at around -67, -27, -427 and is over 40 degrees, perhaps your thermal reactors need more heat than 28 degrees. Are they connected via Power Transmitters? I am pretty sure you need at least one.

I wouldn't have though that I'd need to use the vents because the description of the thermal reactor says that it can turn 15° into 50 energy /m. So about 4 of them together is like 200 energy /m. Good tip though, also I already new where the vent was because that's where I get most of my silver. Also, besides advanced wiring kits, what's the point of gold?
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    edited April 2017
    In my experience, those thermal plants need hot water, description notwithstanding. So either deep-water black smokers or the "geysers" you find in shallower water - and when using geysers as your heat source, it's best to locate the plant as close to the bottom as possible without putting it right in the eruption column (they'll break).
  • LAZYNOOB2017LAZYNOOB2017 United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-12-31 Member: 225824Members
    In my experience, those thermal plants need hot water, description notwithstanding. So either deep-water black smokers or the "geysers" you find in shallower water - and when using geysers as your heat source, it's best to locate the plant as close to the bottom as possible without putting it right in the eruption column (they'll break).

But that still doesn't explain why it suddenly is overtaken by the filtration machine long after they've managed to keep up with it. I don't understand how one reactor is taking way more energy than the others. One thermal power plant is at 0 charge and all the others are at 50 causing the UI to freak out in the base.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    edited April 2017

From what I've seen, the Moon Pool fully recharges a vehicle when you first dock it. So, if you want to talk about how much power your base has versus vehicles in a Moon Pool, the only fair way to do it is to say:

1. Undocked seamoth had how much power?
    2. Undocked exosuit had how much power?
    3. How quickly did you dock the seamoth and then swim to the exosuit and dock it?

Otherwise, a fully charged vehicle in a Moon Pool doesn't appear to consume any power.

Similarly, the water filtration system seems to only uses power when it is active, and it is very often *INACTIVE* because it is full. Until you collect the water/salt, it isn't using any power.

I think you typically want around 300 power if you plan to dock a vehicle with 0% in the Moon Pool and still want power for oxygen.

• garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members

I wouldn't have though that I'd need to use the vents because the description of the thermal reactor says that it can turn 15° into 50 energy /m. So about 4 of them together is like 200 energy /m. Good tip though, also I already new where the vent was because that's where I get most of my silver. Also, besides advanced wiring kits, what's the point of gold?

Gold isn't really used for much. Off the top of my head:

Adv. Wiring Kit
    Polyaniline (or maybe one of the ingredients of it.) ((Seamoth Perimeter Defense System)
    Power Transmitter
    Scanner Room HUD chip?

Other than that, gold is WAY too plentiful for as few uses as it seems to have. For a precious substance, I routinely drop it because I don't need it.

Gold isn't really used for much. Off the top of my head:

Adv. Wiring Kit
    Polyaniline (or maybe one of the ingredients of it.) ((Seamoth Perimeter Defense System)
    Power Transmitter
    Scanner Room HUD chip?

Other than that, gold is WAY too plentiful for as few uses as it seems to have. For a precious substance, I routinely drop it because I don't need it.

Yeah, thought so, why does something as useless (not completely) as gold have 3 possible sources when you want other things like diamond and silver and lithium.
  • GlassDeviantGlassDeviant Terra Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228342Members
    edited April 2017
    garath wrote: »
    From what I've seen, the Moon Pool fully recharges a vehicle when you first dock it.

hmm...that's not my experience, but I haven't really put any effort into any sort of testing.

In any case, I just try to have so much power going into my base that I don't have to worry about it. Of course it takes time to build up to that point, but once you get there it becomes a non-issue.

From what I've seen, the Moon Pool fully recharges a vehicle when you first dock it.

hmm...that's not my experience, but I haven't really put any effort into any sort of testing.

In any case, I just try to have so much power going into my base that I don't have to worry about it. Of course it takes time to build up to that point, but once you get there it becomes a non-issue.

Yes it does, if it doesn't then your game may be glitched. Also I'm an idiot. I tried to get my thermal plants from the geyser to power my base and the foundation was taking the power which I obviously didn't want, so I went to deconstruct it and it discarded all of my power plants... ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff****************************************************(2000 years later)******************ck. I dun goofed.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members

Yes it does, if it doesn't then your game may be glitched. Also I'm an idiot. I tried to get my thermal plants from the geyser to power my base and the foundation was taking the power which I obviously didn't want, so I went to deconstruct it and it discarded all of my power plants... ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff****************************************************(2000 years later)******************ck. I dun goofed.

Ouch. Time to break out the console and use
    resourcesfor thermalplant

edited April 2017

[/quote]
    I'm on Xbox. Also I seem to be experiencing Reaper Leviathans despawns where I can see them disappear, has that been reported yet?

Why does quote thing keep messing up?
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

I'm on Xbox. Also I seem to be experiencing Reaper Leviathans despawns where I can see them disappear, has that been reported yet?

Why does quote thing keep messing up?

Quotes must be equal and in order, just like formatting tags such as bold and italic.

Also, on Xbox, console is LB + RB + A (might have to hit it twice).