How will NS2 run on Ryzen?

2»

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    edited March 2017
    HOW WILL NS2 RUN ON RYZEN?

Like everywhere else, like ass
  • G_LockG_Lock Playtester_ FL Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184624Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

That's a lie, i run an Intel 4790k at 4.4Ghz no OC with a gtx980ti hybrid and 32gigs of ram at 1866Mhz on windows 10 and i hold a steady 170-195 with full entities on a map but i cap in game /w maxfps cmd at 135fps so i don't break the 144hz max on my screen because i run g sync with out Vsync on in NVCP and dont want it to disengage g sync when it cross's the screens 144 Hz threshold. Game runs like butter if you don't have garbage hardware.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Im sorry @Kouji_San .
    I didnt came up with how it works, im just repeating. :D

So uhm yeh.. Ryzen.. So anyone actually had the chance to try?
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    G_Lock wrote: »

That's a lie, i run an Intel 4790k at 4.4Ghz no OC with a gtx980ti hybrid and 32gigs of ram at 1866Mhz on windows 10 and i hold a steady 170-195 with full entities on a map but i cap in game /w maxfps cmd at 135fps so i don't break the 144hz max on my screen because i run g sync with out Vsync on in NVCP and dont want it to disengage g sync when it cross's the screens 144 Hz threshold. Game runs like butter if you don't have garbage hardware.

At what settings?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2017
    Im sorry @Kouji_San .
    I didnt came up with how it works, im just repeating. :D

So uhm yeh.. Ryzen.. So anyone actually had the chance to try?

Them fancy new engines should stop changing the time honoured and traditional terms man, it gets confusing fast with all these different rates and their meaning already. At this rate we might lose the control... rate :D
  • G_LockG_Lock Playtester_ FL Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184624Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2017
    The settings i usually use. http://imgur.com/a/yfZmK

For shits and giggles i turned on everything to high or on, average end game fps with full entities was about 110-170, but i don't play high speed twitch shooters for visual fidelity, if i wanted to do that i'd play Witcher 3 or something.

If you don't like large frame jumps, g sync or free sync completely negates the stuttering from that.

• RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members

then ur eyes are probably full of shit
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    The game can run like butter just fine.
    I aint saying this is true for all, and im also not convinced its totally just a hardware issue. Ive seen great hardware run the game not great, and ive seen less great hardware running the game smooth as ever.

Havent figured out a common cause yet. /lack of data
    edited March 2017

then ur eyes are probably full of shit

Yea ok buddy lol
    Your like a negative/opposite yes man disagreeing with everything that's said, not sure its even worth reading your posts anymore.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue

Sounds like someone spent £100 on a PC and is crying because games won't run on it.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I aint saying this is true for all, and im also not convinced its totally just a hardware issue. Ive seen great hardware run the game not great, and ive seen less great hardware running the game smooth as ever.

I personally find g_locks numbers to be unrealistic. I have very comparable hardware and I often struggle to keep 120fps in busy scenes or on certain maps. I usually don't get too much below 120fps, but in the worst case scenario I drop to about 80fps. My settings are a low-rise level. I typically play 8v8. Things may have improved more recently than my memory provides.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    To be honest: NS2 runs like crap.
    Its a combination of horrible alien animations and a netcode that cant handle fast moving targets.
    Especial the skulk and the lerk animations looking like animation states are missing wich can end up in really strange looking movement.

The engine itself is running ok, beside some occlusion culling issues.
    Example:
    Im alone on a fresh startet server on tram and fps going down from 200 to 150 if i standing in hub in front of ET and view in warehouse direction (the huge red box).
    Ontop:
    130fps in ns2 feels more like 90 or less in other games.

I played Battlefield4 for 6 month and its really hard for me to enjoy NS2 after that again.
    BF feels so more responsive while playing on the same capped 130fps.

2 years ago i had rockstable 180fps on a 18 slot server with my i5 2500k @ 4,8ghz in NS2.
    Now it can go down to 90 in endgame.
    So client perfomance got worse within the last 2 years.
    edited March 2017
    Nordic wrote: »

I personally find g_locks numbers to be unrealistic. I have very comparable hardware and I often struggle to keep 120fps in busy scenes or on certain maps. I usually don't get too much below 120fps, but in the worst case scenario I drop to about 80fps. My settings are a low-rise level. I typically play 8v8. Things may have improved more recently than my memory provides.

I have to point out that i also play with everything on minimum or turned off in NVCP.
    Yea it looks like trash but this is coming from someone who's favorite game is system shock 1.
  • argentumargentum Join Date: 2010-04-09 Member: 71234Members
    Hey guys. So I've owned a 1700x, a 1800!, a 2700 and 3600x, a 3900x and a 5600x and now a 5900x.

Each generation saw IPC uplift but none more so than the 3000 series and then another whopping 19% plus some frequency for the 5000 over the 3000 series.

The 5000 series saw an increase of 50-60% average fps over 3000 series. My fps on 3000 was 180-220/240 depending on the scenario. My GPU is a 5700xt. My fps now is almost always over 300-400 and a few times here and there it dips to the 200x or over 500!.

Here's a video of my current setup:

Fps is at the top left.

Ns2 benefits from IPC, period. The more instructions per clock your CPU architecture does, the better.

The massive increase from 3000 to 5000 was due to the change from 4 cores chiplets to 8 cores chiplets so they would have a unified L3 cache access. There are general efficiency improvements in addition.

AMD claimed that most games saw a 20% something percent increase degeneration over generation but there was one game in particular CSGO that saw a 40+% improvement and that's because it's a massively single threaded game, just like ns2.

Given that suspicion I was convinced that going Ryzen 5000 would be massively impactful and I was right; I was able to get an extra 100-200 fps higher regularly with the same GPU.

Most of the logic for both the server and the client is run on a primary thread and if you select the option on the client to do "physics multithreadibg" it will offload some of the logic so up to 3 other cheats.

Want to verify? Set the CPU affinity in take manager for all applications to a set of cores and then set ns2 to its own set of cores. Process lasso can make this easy.

I'll be testing the new RadEon 6800xt soon and I'm confident I'll see massive gains. The size of the die is roughly double over the 5700xt and the performance per watt is 50% greater. Add to that the massive increase in shades and massive clock frequency uplift, and I may be looking at one of the best performing systems we've ever had for ns2.

Keep an eye out for YouTube videos with the new 6800xt + 5900x combo in the coming weeks.