Warpers Don't feel as interesting as they should.

Goldscale001Goldscale001 Ohio, United States Join Date: 2017-03-22 Member: 229109Members
edited March 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions
I know that they were built by the Aliens to contain the disease, but I feel like they don't feel like that in game. I didn't even know until looking up online where the message from Warpers you can receive come from. Perhaps a cut scene where you witness a life pod being ripped apart by a couple of them would help. Just right now it seems a little nondescript and they seem like just regular wildlife with freaky powers. Until you do more digging it's not made clear. I know part of the game is supposed to be digging for information and learning, but the Warpers are supposed be to special. Designed by the aliens and their one purpose is to kill you. But until you go digging they seem like just aggressive wildlife like an average stalker. And after you know, they still just feel like regular wildlife, just with some back story. Just some things added to they to really make their threat more clear. Maybe even change their behavior a bit. Perhaps they cold trap fish/players like mesmers and scan them with a flash of light and if the disease has spread enough the Warper kills them, but if not it let's them go and moves on. And perhaps they target humans especially is because of their technology and the Warpers are programmed to kill off worlders so they don't leave and spread the disease. Maybe they could even sometimes find and scan the player's base(s) and attack them, forcing the player to try to hide and constantly maintain their base(s). I don't know just after leaning more about the Warpers I was both made excited and disappointed because they just don't feel as special as I would think they should considering their purpose and back story. Maybe it's just me but yea

Comments

• SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    I mean... the purpose is made obvious when you go to the Disease Research Facility. The warpers exist to protect the universe from the Carar virus which has infected planet 4546B.
  • Goldscale001Goldscale001 Ohio, United States Join Date: 2017-03-22 Member: 229109Members
    edited March 2017
    As I said, until you learn they just feel like normal wildlife. And after wildlife with a back story. My main point was they don't feel as interesting as they should.

But fair enough I guess the title is misleading, I'll improve it.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    But I think that's how it's supposed to feel, Goldscale. You have these creatures which look weird, behave oddly, but otherwise don't seem to stand out much. Okay, this is an alien planet - maybe they're just an evolutionary anomaly. Then as you dig a little deeper, you find out that they're not natural at all, and suddenly everything takes a very ominous turn, in part because what you thought you knew was just upended. It feels more like a narrative choice than an oversight. My two cents' worth. :)
  • Goldscale001Goldscale001 Ohio, United States Join Date: 2017-03-22 Member: 229109Members
    But I think that's how it's supposed to feel, Goldscale. You have these creatures which look weird, behave oddly, but otherwise don't seem to stand out much. Okay, this is an alien planet - maybe they're just an evolutionary anomaly. Then as you dig a little deeper, you find out that they're not natural at all, and suddenly everything takes a very ominous turn, in part because what you thought you knew was just upended. It feels more like a narrative choice than an oversight. My two cents' worth. :)

Wells I guess that makes sense but as I said it hardly changes the game. With how the game machinics work with how they behave they still feel the same after you learn their origins. As I said:"wildlife with a back story". Perhaps after getting to the research base the disease starts to spread and that trigers them to act differently. Cause they just don't act like the deadly hunters they're supposed to be, especially with one's built by advanced aliens.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    I know that they were built by the Aliens to contain the disease, but I feel like they don't feel like that in game. I didn't even know until looking up online where the message from Warpers you can receive come from. Perhaps a cut scene where you witness a life pod being ripped apart by a couple of them would help. Just right now it seems a little nondescript and they seem like just regular wildlife with freaky powers. Until you do more digging it's not made clear. I know part of the game is supposed to be digging for information and learning, but the Warpers are supposed be to special. Designed by the aliens and their one purpose is to kill you. But until you go digging they seem like just aggressive wildlife like an average stalker. And after you know, they still just feel like regular wildlife, just with some back story. Just some things added to they to really make their threat more clear. Maybe even change their behavior a bit. Perhaps they cold trap fish/players like mesmers and scan them with a flash of light and if the disease has spread enough the Warper kills them, but if not it let's them go and moves on. And perhaps they target humans especially is because of their technology and the Warpers are programmed to kill off worlders so they don't leave and spread the disease. Maybe they could even sometimes find and scan the player's base(s) and attack them, forcing the player to try to hide and constantly maintain their base(s). I don't know just after leaning more about the Warpers I was both made excited and disappointed because they just don't feel as special as I would think they should considering their purpose and back story. Maybe it's just me but yea

Well... if you were a curious survivor than you would scan the warper. I'm pretty sure the scan info explains that more info is needed.
    ShuttleBug wrote: »

Well... if you were a curious survivor than you would scan the warper. I'm pretty sure the scan info explains that more info is needed.

1: hard to do that when every time I approach one it warps away or spawns an enemy.

2: that's not the point of my post