Any plans to add more land?

KantazoKantazo Join Date: 2017-03-21 Member: 229099Members
Right now land mass is very limited, any ideas if the devs plan to add more land mass?

Comments

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited March 2017
    The only thing we know is that the inclusion of Lilypad Islands is likely on account of some models already having been finished. It's not land, but it's surface mass.

A possibility, emphasis on possibility, is that an Arctic biome will one day be added. It's an older biome concept that maintains popularity, but at this time there's no solid on whether or not we can look forward to freezing to death.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Has it ever actually been confirmed that the planet is a 'Water World', or did we just happen to crash-land in the "Hawaiian Islands" of 4546B?

B)
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    Has it ever actually been confirmed that the planet is a 'Water World', or did we just happen to crash-land in the "Hawaiian Islands" of 4546B?

B)

I'm pretty sure it's a water world.

Also... this IS a game about the ocean. Islands may be part of some ocean games, but this is subnautica!
  • the_marinerthe_mariner US of A Join Date: 2016-12-29 Member: 225653Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    A possibility, emphasis on possibility, is that an Arctic biome will one day be added. It's an older biome concept that maintains popularity, but at this time there's no solid on whether or not we can look forward to freezing to death.
    I certainly hope so! Even if the devs added it in post-1.0, an Arctic biome would be AMAZING. Here's to freezing to death!

...okay, that came out a bit wrong.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    You could always call the Dutch to build you all the islands you need for your landlubber delights
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    Ralij wrote: »
    Plot twist: we're just in a large and very deep lake.

*shivers*

B)

Also... this IS a game about the ocean. Islands may be part of some ocean games, but this is subnautica!

Thing is though, the load screen shows a lot more land mass than we are actually seeing around Lifepod #5...

2dd43823d099fa0eb324743ccd2ae52b.jpg
    Which to me means we landed in the middle of a very large ocean, away from what ever continents there may be on the planet.
    B)
  • solar71solar71 usa Join Date: 2015-06-06 Member: 205276Members
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2017
    Do dinosaurs walk the lands? I want my Mother!*%^$!!@ T-Rextraterrestrial
    edited March 2017
    Those could just be clouds...?

Are we sure that many clouds can form, with just the star only heating up a planet's ocean(s)? I'm pretty sure you'd need landmass and at least a few mountains to get certain wind conditions and a wider range of tempertures. Just to be able to cool down the amount of water vapor you'd need, for the number of clouds shown in that picture. If they're all clouds that is :D
  • omegatauromegataur Spain Join Date: 2016-01-28 Member: 212240Members
    edited March 2017
    i want to explore more... a lot more... map is so tiny right now... it could be ... " endless " or at least, random gen... i dont know, this will suppose a lot of work to do

also... only 2 or 3 islands is not enough for a PLANET
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    omegataur wrote: »
    i want to explore more... a lot more... map is so tiny right now... it could be ... " endless " or at least, random gen... i dont know, this will suppose a lot of work to do

also... only 2 or 3 islands is not enough for a PLANET

We are only on a certain part of the planet, and for all our character knows right now it is an ocean planet.
    edited March 2017

B)

Thing is though, the load screen shows a lot more land mass than we are actually seeing around Lifepod #5...

Which to me means we landed in the middle of a very large ocean, away from what ever continents there may be on the planet.
    B)

If that's your interpretation, hey, cool by me. But, personally, I don't see land in that picture. I see thick cloudmass, but the only land I see is on the moon in the background.

Look again...

The light colored clouds are casting dark colored shadows on the brown colored landmasses' (as well as the water) below.

Also, look just above the nose of the Aurora, there is a peninsula that extends out from that particular land mass below.

B)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Look again...

The light colored clouds are casting dark colored shadows on the brown colored landmasses' (as well as the water) below.

Also, look just above the nose of the Aurora, there is a peninsula that extends out from that particular land mass below.

Sorry, Dave, but I can't agree with you there. It still looks like thick clouds to me, not land. I've seen orbital photos of clouds here on Earth over the oceans that look like that. When a cloud deck gets really thick and is being knocked around by winds on multiple levels (which won't be going the same way), they can get to looking like that.

Of course, we hardly see any clouds where we've landed, so that's a problem. ;)
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    2017-03-22_00001.jpg

Well, if you're going to be all evidenciary like that... ;)
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    I don't see land either. I think you're seeing what you want to see :D
    Yep, "uncharted ocean planet" is the description given in the lifepod status screen. Now do you wish to argue that white is black (and get yourself killed on a zebra crossing)? :D
    @0x6A7232 is a manual thumper!
    Myrm wrote: »
    I don't see land either. I think you're seeing what you want to see :D

Or... Maybe... You know... I don't wanna be that guy, but... Just sayin'... :tongue:
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited March 2017
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    If that's your interpretation, hey, cool by me. But, personally, I don't see land in that picture. I see thick cloudmass, but the only land I see is on the moon in the background.

OOOOOH, the moon!

Future Subnautica DLC: Alterra sends their cleanup crew to return to Planet 4546B, to "improve customer relations" (steal Precursor technology!) and they set up a base on the moon! The same gameplay and challenges remain (but it's in SPAAACE!), but perhaps the Precursors had bases on the moon in addition to the planet's ocean?!

I'd pay for that experience ! :love:
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »

OOOOOH, the moon!

Future Subnautica DLC: Alterra sends their cleanup crew to return to Planet 4546B, to "improve customer relations" (steal Precursor technology!) and they set up a base on the moon! The same gameplay and challenges remain (but it's in SPAAACE!), but perhaps the Precursors had bases on the moon in addition to the planet's ocean?!

Eh, I'd rather not see that.

Moving Subnautica to another, non-watery planet, it wouldn't be the same game anymore.

I could see it being a separate game entirely though.

Here's to hoping on impossibility. :)
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Skope wrote: »

OOOOOH, the moon!

Eh, I'd rather not see that.

Moving Subnautica to another, non-watery planet, it wouldn't be the same game anymore.

I could see it being a separate game entirely though.

Here's to hoping on impossibility. :)

That said, a teleporter to a moonbase (entrance can be broken to prevent exploration outside or perhaps the environment isn't kind on the health bar) with possibly some further info on the precursors and a shot at getting a moon data entry seems like a nice mid-to-late game surprise.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    edited March 2017
    Yep, "uncharted ocean planet" is the description given in the lifepod status screen. Now do you wish to argue that white is black (and get yourself killed on a zebra crossing)? :D

Bonus Awesome awarded to @Myrm for Terry Pratchett reference. :)
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited March 2017
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    That said, a teleporter to a moonbase (entrance can be broken to prevent exploration outside or perhaps the environment isn't kind on the health bar) with possibly some further info on the precursors and a shot at getting a moon data entry seems like a nice mid-to-late game surprise.

That was my train of thought, at present the story 'ends' when you launch the rocket launches you into space; and heck, the game begins because your spaceship gets blasted out of orbit. Exploring the moon would be very similar to exploring underwater: limited oxygen, mobility by vehicles (Exosuit, "Starmoth"), resource gathering and base building. If you throw in alien creatures and Precursor secrets, I think it would be a fun DLC or New Game+ story mode.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    That was my train of thought, at present the story 'ends' when you launch the rocket launches you into space; and heck, the game begins because your spaceship gets blasted out of orbit. Exploring the moon would be very similar to exploring underwater: limited oxygen, mobility by vehicles (Exosuit, "Starmoth"), resource gathering and base building. If you throw in alien creatures and Precursor secrets, I think it would be a fun DLC or New Game+ story mode.

Except not underwater. Which is like 99% of the point of Subnautica, and why I bought it. Getting rid of the oceans of the game is removing a good deal of the reason people like it.

Yes I know I don't have to buy it or play it but I'd rather see the developer resources put into making a better ocean exploration game than have those resources put into making a level/zone about a different planet that doesn't have any ocean and then stapling it onto Subnautica.

Bonus Awesome awarded to @Myrm for Terry Pratchett reference. :)

Terry Pratchett? I thought it was a Douglas Adams reference.