ns2_co_Bloomfield v.01 is up on WORKSHOP!!!

jstoiajstoia Join Date: 2009-12-15 Member: 69667Members
edited August 2013 in Mapping
Im messing around with a map. for combat mod. here are just 2 rooms. I know i should box it out but.. i cant do that. i get bored. what do you think?
71BO4nH.jpg

Comments

• jstoiajstoia Join Date: 2009-12-15 Member: 69667Members
    pictures coming soon. steam is being slow :(
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    The room looks great, very clean and detailed. My only criticism is that the lighting might be too bright and bland. Some contrast in lighting is good - there is a brief discussion here. Also try to focus on using the lighting to create depth inside the room - some spots already do this better than others.

Creating a room to get used to the editor and understand the tools is perfectly fine. I would just highly suggest you graybox out the rest of the map so that you know you can fill in a layout that is good for combat gameplay. We'll happily playtest the graybox and give you feedback, so that when you detail you don't have to re-detail due to layout change.

I suppose at this point I'm kind of the unofficial combat mapping guru. Feel free to reach out to me here or via PM if you have any questions about the editor or combat mapping in general. I don't have all the answers but can at least point you in the right direction.
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    looks realy interesting, you could work on ceiling, and stairs on first pictures looks to "simple"...
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I like where you're going with this, though I hve to echo @CarNagE1's sentiment that The stairs and ceiling in that room could use some work, and would suggest some additional detailing of the floor.

You could perhaps extrude some more interesting geometry up into the ceiling, then trim what needs trimming and add appropriate props where neccessary. Add some depth up there.

The stair props look flimsy compared to the rest of the architecture. If you keep that prop, I would at least build a more solid trim around it, make it seem a little beefier.

The floor is currently one large surface with very little going on. You could add paths of some sort, gratings exposing things underneath, or encircle the device in the middle of the room to give tht some additional weight.

Keep at it! :)
    here is the reworked floor. as well as the other side of the room. I still am working on making the roof seem... heavy and more interesting.. this curved stuff makes my eyes bleed. I hope they come up with a tool to make it ez.

gQ6LhEn.jpg
    k5CQDvJ.jpg
    glS25sR.jpg
    thKgFyS.jpg
    xxGFABt.jpg
    ryh8MNI.jpg
    FkmYB45.jpg
    kG1pyHS.jpg
    BdsZavo.jpg
  • QwiXXeRQwiXXeR Join Date: 2004-11-05 Member: 32640Members
  • WhiteDevilWhiteDevil Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The lack of grey textures is disturbing. Good stuff.
    lol ty. what do u mean about the grey textures
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    jstoia wrote: »
    lol ty. what do u mean about the grey textures
    It's his odd way of saying "DAMN THAT LOOKS GOOD" :P
    im one of those guys who never likes what he does.. i love feedback. any more yall could give me would be awesome.
  • QwiXXeRQwiXXeR Join Date: 2004-11-05 Member: 32640Members
    edited July 2013
    The maps weve made are full of flat grey textures :P hehe
    im one of those guys who never likes what he does.. i love feedback. any more yall could give me would be awesome.

We still aren't kidding - graybox out the rest of the map. These guys spend months without getting to your level of detail in a map! Please see what I originally posted.
    DarkSeraph wrote: »
    Creating a room to get used to the editor and understand the tools is perfectly fine. I would just highly suggest you graybox out the rest of the map so that you know you can fill in a layout that is good for combat gameplay. We'll happily playtest the graybox and give you feedback, so that when you detail you don't have to re-detail due to layout change.

If you aren't sure what we mean about graybox there are several good examples on the workshop. ns2_Grendel is an example of an early gray box. NS2_caged is a good example of a late stage gray box.
    i know what u mean. and redoing sections of my map is ez. i hAVE a very good layer system. dont worry about it. ty tho.
    Here is a proto type of my cave system. Very little detail here. just a little bit.
    0Hck6jZ.jpg
    jNe3S4X.jpg
    JqBr7G3.jpg
    I was wondering how small i could make the map. I wanted to make a small and fast paced map. no down time. think that could work? i will release the greybox soon. Ill make it known I never played CO on ns2. only ns1. So i am building on theory not experience.
    No answer? or ideas?
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2013
    My suggestion is play some NS2 Combat maps to get a feel for the right size. :P

EDIT: forgot to type a rather pivotal word.
    edited August 2013
    Here is the rough Layout of the map. and some key rooms I will build out ALOT

2yhqIR3.jpg
    71BO4nH.jpg
    pNkJe8O.jpg

Marine spawn
    JSKQuJ6.jpg

Want to build a cool reactor room
    wdRhvJZ.jpg
    edited August 2013
    Running around the map it took me around 24 seconds of sprinting to get from one base to the other. so i guess its around 12-14 seconds til teams meet and fight.. I would like some ideas on what I should do to alter the map routes.
    Running around the map it took me around 24 seconds of sprinting to get from one base to the other. so i guess its around 12-14 seconds til teams meet and fight.. I would like some ideas on what I should do to alter the map routes.

Hmm I usually measure marine walk times instead of sprinting. I know that most combat maps are around 20-24 seconds of walking between tech points - but there is some slight variation beyond that.

I think the smallest combat map right now is likely still faceoff, so check how long it takes you MS to Hive on that map. It's basically what I did for skylight (since I kinda copied the flow). On the larger side I think there is rockdown and descent, just to compare.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Screenshots look so good. Really like the elevated pathway in the L corridor.
    what entity do i need to have this as a g. box for a CO map?

hbs5ckx.jpg
    OjKJVkI.jpg
    3T72Ypm.jpg
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Some areas look like they favor aliens, because they are cramped, but other than that it looks pretty good.
    Bloomfield looks good at first glance. I look forward to doing some testing soon!
  • jstoia2jstoia2 Join Date: 2017-03-18 Member: 229027Members
    SO I AM BACK after LOL 7 years!!!!! And I wanted to start work on my map again but I lost file NNOT sure how to get it back...
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    jstoia2 wrote: »
    SO I AM BACK after LOL 7 years!!!!! And I wanted to start work on my map again but I lost file NNOT sure how to get it back...

Is the file still on the workshop? You could download the mod and get your map back that way.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    jstoia2 wrote: »

Also, just as a side note... your map was intended for combat mod, which is no longer being worked on as far as i'm aware. I'm not sure if that would change anything or not though.