Coming out on disc?

Cat_Gamer33Cat_Gamer33 Australia Join Date: 2017-03-14 Member: 228912Members
edited March 2017 in Subnautica on Consoles
Hi I would rely like to know if this cool game is coming to Xbox one on disc?, because I don't have that good internet to download it online plus it would take for ages. So I would to know if it also came to local game stores. Thanks.

EDIT: YES it worked FINNALY it took about 2 days, but it keeps saying I need Internet to play, Why?, I installed the trial version just to see the game if it all good, but now I need Internet to play, and buy it too. Does the full version need Internet to play offline? Too?

Comments

• SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be that difficult to just leave your xbox downloading the game for an afternoon. Plus, you can't lose an intangible copy of the game, whereas discs can be lost or broken. Plus they're hard to distribute but easy to copy and sell.
  • Cat_Gamer33Cat_Gamer33 Australia Join Date: 2017-03-14 Member: 228912Members
    edited March 2017
    So ur saying subnautica isn't comin to disc?
    my Internet speed is only 2mbs, and downloading GTA 5 online update was 12gb, that took 3 days! Ikr

• ShotoutShotout Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224576Members
    XB1S; The game will play without xb net connt, after it is installed. I have 60mbit downld, SN nearly 10GByt,
    installation takes 2hrs or longer?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2017
    So ur saying subnautica isn't comin to disc?

Retail (on diks) is way too expensive for a small company like UWE

Besides, the digital distribution is kinda key for development patches as well
    edited March 2017
    Thx, For info, So it ain't coming to disc then huh? So when it comes out may 2017 it gonna be more of a digital game?

I also saw subnautica on the XB1s store that it's only like $21 (WHY?) it's za abit cheap. And I heard it really lags and stuff
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2017
    Thx, I'm ok with buying expensive games on disc with out having to drain my internet on online to install them

So it ain't coming to disc then huh?

No, it's not that the price could rise to insane heights, like for example $109.99 or something crazy, just to cover the costs. There is something much bigger at work, it's just that retail is something only big developers can do. The creation, distribution fees and making sure you actually have the proper contacts and representatives to get it in all game stores across the planet or even just the US. The entire logistic systems behind that will cost an arm and a leg, something indie devs simply cannot afford or spend time or money on

This is a reason why one man developers and small teams, basically indie devs in general, use digital world wide distribution and a world wide store, which can also be be easily used for marketing. Alongside the usual review websites and famous YouTubers :)
    AAAAHHH now I get it, yeh ok, like how Terraria and other games on steam?
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Currently unlikely we will come out on Physical media.
    edited March 2017
    Terraria is another great example indeed. IIRC that was made by a two man team. Two guys without the financial resources, so they had to do the digital distribution as well. Terraria is a lot and I do mean A LOT smaller though in terms of Gigabytes (209Mb vs 12138Mb, local files on Steam)

Let's just say, the retail world is an archaic and outdated system. The world has gone digital a long time ago. But I can sympathize with people who have low internet speeds or data caps :(

Maybe you have a buddy who has Subnautica on Xbone, I guess you could transfer the files to your Xbone's HDD using at least a 16Gb quick USB stick/card reader or an external HDD... And you could probably turn off the patches, until the big content releases. I'm not sure how that works on MS's preview program. Heck maybe you can do the HDD run with a buddy again :tongue:
    So..... Thx you'all,

Would a 2mb speed internet connection work for Subnautica to install? My internet is very(XVERY) slow.
    edited March 2017
    On 2Mb internet it would take 14:08:30 for 12138Mb to download, if it is stable at the max speed of 2Mb

But then again, is Xbone a smaller file size due to lower texture resolution @Obraxis?

Nevermind I found it, it's 9.61Gb according to the Xbone Preview site

So that would mean 11:27:54 at 2Mb max speed, I'd say start the download at around 8 or 10 and let it download overnight :)
    Thx again, I haven't bought it yet.... Still thinking about, it, so for sure it's not coming to _disc_?, if not then yeh I'll get it
    Thx again, I haven't bought it yet.... Still thinking about, it, so for sure it's not coming to _disc_?, if not then yeh I'll get it

Obby here is one of developers for Subnautica, so if he says it's "currently unlikely". That's that, so to speak :)
    Ok thx again , all good
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    How would you like up to 1Gbps, at 25-35 ms ping? Might have to wait a few years, but if everything works out, this could be the end of rural ISP neglect:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/11/spacex-plans-worldwide-satellite-internet-with-low-latency-gigabit-speed/
    I got subnatica on Xbox one finally! I worked. Just took a long time, and I played it, lags abit and, it says I need to be connected to Internet to play??? Or is that BECUASE I'm not doing it right?
  • ShotoutShotout Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224576Members
    xb1s f, hour ago started sn not on web eveything ok including my bad saves. just now connected to see forum.
    have xblive membership, auto signin to xblive. can't think of anything else. may need connect for xblive save backup?
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    I have a 1.9mbps peak connection (damn you, Verizon) and I managed to download it. :) Like was suggested earlier: start the download one evening and let it cook overnight. Aaaaand the next morning. But it'll happen!