So recent NMS update....

NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
Yes this is related to the game. So for you you didn't hear... or don't care which I don't blame you NMS updated and added (among other things) land vehicles. Including a very small one that hovers and can drive quickly over land and water. This got me thinking why don't we have something like that. A boat or hovercraft that could be used for quick transport above water and could be driven on land as well (for as little of it as we have). It could be a interesting new way of getting around.

(Picture of NMS hover thing)
deovgilksxew.png

Comments

• KingPhantomKingPhantom Switzerland Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228351Members
    just tested it 10 minutes or so but it seems to be funny. for subnautica: i don't know. youd be nice to have but i think i would love to have a submarine explorer between cyclopse and seamoth more than a hovercraft
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Just downloading the Pathfinder update on my PS5 (yes, PS5, I like to have bigger and better than everybody else :D )
  • NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    Myrm wrote: »
    Just downloading the Pathfinder update on my PS5 (yes, PS5, I like to have bigger and better than everybody else :D )

PS5? Soooooo your PC basically.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    I don't think the dry land terrain of SN is suitable for a vehicle. Too thin paths, too much flora. Truth be told, I'd prefer a surface vehicle with more storage/basic base capacity a la the Cyclops, although I do really like the thought and design behind that hovercraft. If updates like these keep coming, I might purchase NMS not that far in the future.
  • BossblasterBossblaster None Join Date: 2017-02-17 Member: 228004Members
    I think someone already came up with the idea with only the surface, but they never said land
    I think it was called "The Tide Skipper"
    I'm thinking mainly of a quicker/safer way to traveling between the islands and Aurora.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Be kinda cool if They just gave the Seamoth a hovercraft upgrade we could build.

Nothing extravagant, just a way to skim on the surface that's a bit faster than plowing through the water.
    B)
    NerdyEric wrote: »

PS5? Soooooo your PC basically.

No, my PS4. I was kidding with the PS5 :D
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    NMS seems to be ripping off a bit of Mass Effect: Andromeda terminology with the Pathfinder update and Nomad vehicle (vehicle pictured in OP). The Nomad is the best vehicle for fun especially if the planet has a ton of water and mountains. With the Roamer on a planet with a ton of water and mountains, it is worse than using the Mako in Mass Effect. Any other planet is almost as good as what we expect for Mass Effect: Andromeda. The Colossus is just far too slow to be useful for anything, but resource gathering. Deconstructing the Colossus Geopad (Parking Spot that summons vehicle), flying to the appropriate resource, constructing the Geopad, and summoning the Colossus is the only reasonable way to deal with the Colossus.

NMS also introduced Base Sharing and Time Trial Races which hopefully becomes a thing in Subnautica. Although, Base Sharing would be far more interesting than Time Trial Races in Subnautica due to having to deal with a fixed map.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members

PS5? Soooooo your mid-range year old PC basically.

FTFY :trollface:
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    I refunded NMS before, maybe I'll pick it up again at some point. :p

GOG did a me a solid on that one. I think in a few more months they should have a game worth releasing. They made some bad design decisions, though- if they have rovers, spaceships should have more limited landing options, to make the rovers important. But if they add that NOW, it's a large change and large changes disturb playerbases.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    I refunded NMS before, maybe I'll pick it up again at some point. :p

GOG did a me a solid on that one. I think in a few more months they should have a game worth releasing. They made some bad design decisions, though- if they have rovers, spaceships should have more limited landing options, to make the rovers important. But if they add that NOW, it's a large change and large changes disturb playerbases.

It is a slight pain to use the Exocraft (Rover/Vehicle) on other planets since it is limited to one Geopad of a particular type in the entire game. If you forget where you placed where your Geopad is, then it might require creating a new base unless you don't mind not using that particular vehicle ever again.

Relying on fixed landing options would ruin the exploration fun of the game. It would be great if you could store the vehicle on the starship and not rely on Geopads to summon the vehicle.

As I said before in a previous NMS thread, No Man's Sky is a great Early Access game.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    A few more updates like the last 2 and a slight price drop and NMS is what it should have been.

Of course the water glider is good, but NMS has a fantastic map space due to being procedural. Unfortunately in Subnautica you would be at the map edges in no man's time. And being only relevant on the surface and nowhere else it's not much of use. Considering the time to program it, that would be madness.

It would be more easy to give the Seamoth a hover upgrade module. Big usability and not much programming extra.
    Slight price drop? You can get it for a lot cheaper now. Currently 40% on Steam, and you can get it from Amazon for PS4 for £19.99, which is less than half the original price.
  • GlassDeviantGlassDeviant Terra Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228342Members
    When it's in the $10 bargain bin, I'll consider it. Till then I have Empyrion, Eden Star, Planet Nomads and Subnautica.
    I just got Horizon Zero Dawn for my PS6, because I am so manly :D
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members

So what you're saying, is that you're a time traveler?

Is the PS6 nice? Does it have the 3D hologram capabilities that I've heard about? Does it have 3080p and 540fps?

Come on, give me details! :D
    *Announcement of the PS6*
    Random Sony Exec: THE PS6 HAS THE ABILITY TO DO 4K, 3D, VR, AMAZING GRAPHICS, ITS ALSO A PORTABLE AS WELL AS A HOME CONSOLE, ALL AT THE SAME TIME AT A 100% STEADY 144 FPS....... still no full-on mod support.

PC: Lol, we have all that and full mod support, and with the evolution of more things like Kickstarter you have no more exclusives due to games budgets being done by donations now....

Random Sony Exec: GOSH DANGIT
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    I think someone already came up with the idea with only the surface, but they never said land
    I think it was called "The Tide Skipper"
    That was me. :3

Heres the link to it anyways.
    edited March 2017
    Skope wrote: »

So what you're saying, is that you're a time traveler?

I am. I have an iPhone 14+ to prove it.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited March 2017
    People are still playing NMS? Weird.
    The stats are actually really interesting.

NMS had an average of 1,074 players (at any given time) over the last 30 days. With a peak of 7,023. Probably when the update hit. But in the months before it struggled to reach an average of 1,000.

Compare this with Subnautica, which had an average of 2,854 over the last 30 days, with a peak of 6,242. Since January 2016 it's average has rarely fallen below 1,500, and it's maximum was in January 2017 with 4,007.

NMS also had the 5th highest peak player count when it released in August, with 212,321. Now it has so few people playing it, it's really embarrassing.

Behold how far it has fallen.

(Edit; it's important to note this is only Steam copies of the game. NMS probably sold a lot more console copies, but who's counting those peasants?)
    Hey, why can't I play a male character in Horizon Zero dawn!!! This is so sexist!!! :o
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    I see no need for another amphibious vehicle when the PRAWN gets the job done just fine. Besides, there's not exactly a lot of land to explore.
    I see no need for another amphibious vehicle when the PRAWN gets the job done just fine. Besides, there's not exactly a lot of land to explore.

I agree!
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited March 2017

Floating Island, Mountain Island, Aurora, technically the land on the right of the Aurora even if at present there's nothing to do there, and looking at the possibilities of post-V1.0: Lilypad Islands and Arctic. Add to that a currently dormant plan to implement floating loot (I believe UWE specified floating loot boxes) and we've got some room.

Not saying that SN lacks a boat/surface amphibious vehicle (or, for that matter, a jetpack), but it also didn't lack the PRAWN before the implementation of large resource deposits and the Lava Zones. At least, that's my stance. I presume anyone else asking for one does implicitly also ask for fitting gameplay.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited March 2017
    I think there may be a slightly better chance of Subnautica getting a Hovercraft, than there is of it getting a Multiplayer mode.

a0Qbk.gif

:*
    Hey, why can't I play a male character in Horizon Zero dawn!!! This is so sexist!!! :o

Finally someone points out this glaring problem in today's society.

Finally someone points out this glaring problem in today's society.

:D