[POLL] Debate (healthy) in the Dev team! Can we help?

Comments

• Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    HYBRID1313 wrote: »
    Hugh wrote: »
    @HYBRID1313 @Obraxis

I assure you that while my day-to-day computing now happens on a Mac, my X99 custom-water-cooled beast is still in charge :)

Well now I'm just conflicted. :lol:

Well, now I'm hungry...

I'm having a MAC Attack!
    B)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqS7fliaBtVcK9qbH-fMmhoz3erM78qmgWgOoUB6agkLvMlBANew
  • WinterholdKnightWinterholdKnight Join Date: 2017-01-10 Member: 226503Members
    There isn't much on the Cyclops to sustain fire. Aside from the furniture we add. Makes more sense to have breaches and flood, but the Cyclops shouldn't be be fragile either.
    Later on some fire and smoke effects could be added, but flood and sink seems like the right choice.
  • HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members
    There isn't much on the Cyclops to sustain fire. Aside from the furniture we add. Makes more sense to have breaches and flood, but the Cyclops shouldn't be be fragile either.
    Later on some fire and smoke effects could be added, but flood and sink seems like the right choice.

I don't think the Cyclops will be fragile; it will have a health bar. Well, I hope so haha - I'm not the best pilot at times.
    Also, yeah, that's what I thought. It'd be hard for metal and plastics to catch on fire with ease.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited February 2017
    So, as of recent, Charlie and Hugh (two UWE peeps) made a few tweets about how there is a debate*, if you will, amongst the team about planned features. The features are whether the Cyclops should catch fire when damaged and sink, or if it should flood and then sink.
    A poll was made by Hugh.

In addition, there's a string of tweets discussing these features and what not:
    Charlie and Hugh seem to really want this, with Hugh's reasoning being this comment's summary of what it could be:
    Why don't they add it themselves? Because that's up to and only possible by the Coders, such as Scott, an UWE coder who would prefer to implement the fire version of Cyclops damage, as coding the flooding could quite easily become a nightmare.
    Now, in reply to a fan's comment, Hugh says that they're trying to persuade peeps like Scott within the team for the flooding sequence. Perhaps we can help?
    Which would you guys prefer? Answer below! It might act as a good persuasion card :tongue:
    - Cheers,
    Hybrid

* - Edited

@ApoNono EDIT: Also wondered if you could shed any light on subs being metal and 'non-flammable' (if you want)?
    edited February 2017
    Made a mess and had to bump up a mistake of mine, so now I'm bumping this up to overtake that error. What a mess I made, sorry everyone haha

Just mention @ Foxy in the other thread (like this: @HYBRID1313 ) and ask for merge / delete

EDIT: And, @MicroMacXPX figured you would enjoy the Mac banter in page 1. ;)
  • awesomeguy101awesomeguy101 Join Date: 2016-06-21 Member: 218886Members
    Flood above fire. I do think it would be cool if it was a mixture of the two (if a large predator like the sea dragon rammed the Cyclops is could cause flooding as well as an engine fire) would be cool. It would add to the risks of areas with large predators. The way I see it the engine fire would cause smoke which would drain your oxygen. Once the engine room was submerged in the case the sub was tilted back it would continue to smoke. The only way to save yourself would be to fix the engine fire and THEN seal the leaks.
  • cy4ncy4n The Kingdom of Reginald Join Date: 2016-09-14 Member: 222316Members
    We need more fires. Once the lifepod is put out, the fire extinguisher is useless!
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    cy4n wrote: »
    We need more fires. Once the lifepod is put out, the fire extinguisher is useless!

What about the giant pile o' fire that is the Aurora?
  • BossblasterBossblaster None Join Date: 2017-02-17 Member: 228004Members
    cy4n wrote: »

What about the giant pile o' fire that is the Aurora?

Also why would you be able to build a fire extinguisher if you only used it once?
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    edited March 2017
    When talking about high performance computers, it was impossible for a long time to have a Mac versus PC argument largely because Apple refuses to make a Macintosh with a high-end GPU.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/4/11159700/oculus-rift-mac-support-apple

This isn't quite as true as it was:

https://9to5mac.com/2017/02/13/vr-desktop-macos-oculus-rift-vive-htc/

• NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    I think it could smoke on the inside but it flooding is much mroe realistic and would be much scarier
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    ApoNono wrote: »
    I was unlucky enough to experience 1 true flooding emergency on the boat. We were... deep down and were running drills with our 3 inch countermeasure tube. The safety failed and we ended up with a 3 inch hole open to the full pressure of the ocean trying to get in. The speed at which that small hole filled the bilges was insane.

Holy crap. :open_mouth: Glad you're still among us, Apo. How in the hell did you guys manage to seal a leak like that? Go shallow and put a temporary patch outside until you could pump out enough to close the tube?
    From a fire standpoint, yes fire sucks on a boat BUT it is easier to handle. Fire alone will not sink a boat (it can incapacitate it though). It does something else, it forces you to the surface to vent the smoke out while you work to contain the situation. The fire can destroy the boat from an electrical / mechanical perspective but from a terror perspective flooding is the monster in the closet waiting to strike when you least expect it.

Hey, @ApoNono, maybe you could settle a question I've had for a while. Do you really need to actively fight a fire in a non-critical compartment? Couldn't you just seal the bulkheads and ventilation for the affected compartment (the mess, say, or a berthing compartment) and just let the fire suffocate? Or would that cause too much damage to be a good idea?
  • ApoNonoApoNono United States Join Date: 2017-02-26 Member: 228282Members
    edited March 2017
    Holy crap. :open_mouth: Glad you're still among us, Apo. How in the hell did you guys manage to seal a leak like that? Go shallow and put a temporary patch outside until you could pump out enough to close the tube?

We did a rapid rise to the surface, had to turn on the bilge pumps to pumped the water into empty tanks and several of the crew fought against the water to get to the manual override and cranked the countermeasure tube interior door closed. It was about 10 minutes of terror followed by days of stories.
    Hey, @ApoNono, maybe you could settle a question I've had for a while. Do you really need to actively fight a fire in a non-critical compartment? Couldn't you just seal the bulkheads and ventilation for the affected compartment (the mess, say, or a berthing compartment) and just let the fire suffocate? Or would that cause too much damage to be a good idea?

Yes, there isn't a such thing as a 'non-critical compartment'. The type of boat I was on, SSBN's, are separated into 3 core compartments 1) forward (torpedo room, sonar, navigation, bridge, and such) 2) Sherwood Forest (missile silos, crews quarters, galley, and such) 3) Engine (reactor, other mechanical). To isolate a fire would be sacrificing an entire compartment. Wires and mechanical run all along the bulkheads and a fire in any area has the potential to damage other areas so the ideal case is to put it out quick before the ship is crippled in a non-recoverable way.

Hope that answered the question for you :smiley:
    Hey everyone! I am new to the community but thought I would add my 2 cents as a former submariner for the US Navy.

Out of everything we experienced while I was on the boat, be it a drill or an actual emergency, the most terrifying thing I ever experience on a sub was flooding. You are X number of meters under the surface of the ocean and a hole opens up in the boat... and you start to take on water. If you do not react quick enough to stop the flooding you will lose entire compartments. As compartments are lost your ability to get the boat to the surface is greatly reduced, even if you made it to the surface at the initial sign of flooding your ability to keep it there is greatly reduced.

I was unlucky enough to experience 1 true flooding emergency on the boat. We were... deep down and were running drills with our 3 inch countermeasure tube. The safety failed and we ended up with a 3 inch hole open to the full pressure of the ocean trying to get in. The speed at which that small hole filled the bilges was insane.

I have experienced the flooding currently in the game when I built a base in the Grand Reef without looking at my hull integrity. It was a bad situation but luckily I had my Cyclops with me AND luckily the cyclops can't take damage because I may or may not have hit my base with it. :) That whole situation was great and the auto draining after I corrected the problems was great.

The Cyclops already has hatches built into the main bulkheads separating the engine compartment from the vehicle hanger from the control room. The player could shut the doors to limit the flooding while they got the boat to a safe place. X% of flooding would limit the climb back to the surface. Or if the engine compartment flooded it would power the boat down and turn off O2 production. Maybe it even destroys the power cells? It would even be cool if it wasn't 100% repairable with the repair tool and required the crafting of some new material to patch the hull. (Sorry I am getting into WAY too much wishful thinking)

From a fire standpoint, yes fire sucks on a boat BUT it is easier to handle. Fire alone will not sink a boat (it can incapacitate it though). It does something else, it forces you to the surface to vent the smoke out while you work to contain the situation. The fire can destroy the boat from an electrical / mechanical perspective but from a terror perspective flooding is the monster in the closet waiting to strike when you least expect it.

To be down in the Lost River in my Cyclops and be taking on water would be a true panic situation. Did I prepare enough to have the needed material to repair damage? Was I able to shut compartments down so that the boat didn't sink to the bottom? Did I bring my seamoth or prawn with me to be able to extract myself back to base for supplies? Did I fail at slowing the leak and my Cyclops is now on the bottom of the ocean, blocking my seamoth/prawn from exiting and I am faced with the reality that I am going to die.

Sorry this is so long, in closing I would be 100% behind having to deal with flooding over fire from a true terror standpoint that your safe place in the middle of the ocean is no longer safe and requires a quick response time to ensure you can get out of the situation alive and with your Cyclops intact.

Thanks

This was a fantastic read. Thank you very much for your own 2 cents, it's awesome to hear about it from someone who unfortunately had first hand experience - good you got out okay though.
    Thanks everyone else for your opinions, now we play the waiting game and see which was the Devs take the game for now :)
    Cheers,
    Hybrid
    This was a fantastic read. Thank you very much for your own 2 cents, it's awesome to hear about it from someone who unfortunately had first hand experience - good you got out okay though.
    Thanks everyone else for your opinions, now we play the waiting game and see which was the Devs take the game for now :)
    Cheers,
    Hybrid

Did we wait long enough yet!?
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    I was in the navy too (skimmer) and having a flood onboard a warship was scary enough; can't imagine how more frightening it would have been on a boat! :o
    Myrm wrote: »
    I was in the navy too (skimmer) and having a flood onboard a warship was scary enough; can't imagine how more frightening it would have been on a boat! :o

Not to go too off topic but it was not fun to say the least lol. Flooding out in the middle of the ocean somewhere is never a fun experience
  • Mr_EndarMr_Endar Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213859Members
    Oops, I mistakenly voted for catches fire!
    My bad, it should have been flooded.

There are very few ways how damaged equipment can start fire, since Cyclops doesn't have flammable fuel.
    So fire could only be started by:
    1) wiring short circuit (due to accident or bad design or some other failure) if Cyclops is built from flammable material (highly unlikely because even today we try not to use such materials);
    2) battery overheating and catching flame;
    3) reactor overheating to the point when temperature around it is so hot that flammable materials ignite.

All of these are highly unlikely scenarios.

Structural damage, hull breach and eventual sinking are 100 times more likely accidents.
  • Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
    The fire on the Cyclops seems cool. I've seen a video of smoke increasing inside the sub and I liked what I saw. And as smoke increases, oxygen decreases. It's an interesting mechanic.

But in spite of Game Logic, being on a submarine, hull breaches and flooding seem more realistic. Life support already fails when you run out of power. So I vote flooding.
    edited March 2017
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Hugh wrote: »
    Well, except when @Obraxis and I disagree about what the best PC specs are for our workstations. Then there's turmoil!

He's a Mac User now. His opinions are invalid. <./joke.>

<font color="green">Razer</font>MasterRace

Omg @Hugh , why?
    The only use macs have for gaming is this XD

2z8onsp.jpg

EDIT: goddamnit, any pic I try to upload to this thread won't load. @Foxy could you please delete this comment?

Hmm. Weird. I re-uploaded it to tinypic (which I know works here) and the image still won't load. Link for the curious: http://i65.tinypic.com/2z8onsp.jpg
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Hmm. Weird. I re-uploaded it to tinypic (which I know works here) and the image still won't load. Link for the curious: http://i65.tinypic.com/2z8onsp.jpg

lol, I am laughing at that image from my mac... but I only use it to edit videos and for work at the moment.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    edited March 2017
    Just saw an Cyclops explosion video.
    <iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_4fYyIQMq_Y&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Seems like we get fire & explosion.

Let's just hope the devs will use flooding too.

Not that I hate the fire & explosions. But simply because I think flooding has to be inside in any case.
    zetachron wrote: »
    <iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_4fYyIQMq_Y&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not that I hate the fire & explosions. But simply because I think flooding has to be inside in any case.

Yeah, seems as though fire has been chosen :(
    To be honest, having the cyclops flood and sink is WAY cooler! When I think of the disasters that could happen to a submarine, the first and most interesting thing that comes to mine is that it slowly floods with water until it sinks. That's awesome!

If it just caught fire and sunk... well... that's kinda lame. Why would it even sink in the first place?

With a fire it's just that you have to get an extinguisher or whatnot and put out the fire, but with flooding you actually have to run around your ship looking for leaks before it floods, welding up the various holes.

Imagine if you, for what ever reason, don't have a repair tool with you. You could shut the doors to isolate the flooding to a single compartment and limp your way home to get a tool. Or if it sunk completely you would have to do dives to repair it. The one thing I am really looking forward to is if it is destroyed and having pieces of the Cyclops all over the ocean floor.

If they do this I hope they support maintaining the storages that we build in our Cyclops so that we can retrieve any items we had stored in it or built into it. Maybe X% loss but be able to recover the majority of our items / equipment back.
    zetachron wrote: »

Yeah, seems as though fire has been chosen :(

I saw a video from another YouTuber where they did console commands to show flooding as well. It had the typical breaches on the inside and water filling up. So maybe we are getting both? (I hope we are any ways)

Best of both worlds: Sea Dragon shoots your Cyclops, or you bump into a rocky outcrop, causing breaches and a short that leads to a fire. Smarty-mcsmartpants player, closes off the section of the ship to let the flooding put out the fire. Only problem? It was the draining system. Or even better, the O2 system. Or the silent running system. Or the propulsion system, or the steering pump jets.

If they go with fire, they should really make the fire extinguisher points reusable (so you can hang extinguishers back up with charged ones).
    Hmmmm... I hope the devs raised the points that we spoke about in this post at their little retreat :)
    Doubt it, but it's a cool thought haha :tongue:
    Thanks for all the great replies everyone; it's been cool to see all the different ideas/views :P
    Hmmmm... I hope the devs raised the points that we spoke about in this post at their little retreat :)
    Doubt it, but it's a cool thought haha :tongue:
    Thanks for all the great replies everyone; it's been cool to see all the different ideas/views :P

Thanks for creating the opportunity for us all to reply on this topic :smile: