Update 314 Now Live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

2»

Comments

• KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    edited March 2017
    So you guys are aware you screwed up the newcomer tournament badges with your fix to newcomer badges in this update?
    I didn't see any note of this, but thought I'd wait

Edit: I was wrong, it was the server I was on for that period of time
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Kalabalana wrote: »
    are you guys aware that the the newcomer tournament badges are now screwed up with the fix to newcomer badges in this update?
    I didn't see any note of this, but thought I'd wait

ftfy ;)
  • KeatsKeats United States Join Date: 2014-11-04 Member: 199413Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Handschuh wrote: »
    Autopickup feels really bad right now.
    Thanks for the detailed report. UWE already knows about this, and the fix is ready to go for the next update.
  • NotPaLaGiNotPaLaGi Join Date: 2014-05-29 Member: 196291Members
    Glad autopickup problem are being addressed. Holy crap they are frustrating right now!
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    Autopickup bug is fixed via Omega extension and will be in B315, apologies for the frustration folks!
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    The amount of smurfs went through the roof recently, it's really a big problem. People dont want to improve they want to have the illusion they improve even if the illusion ruins the fun of others, it's fucking pathetic.
  • EbichuEbichu Japan Join Date: 2014-12-09 Member: 199999Members
    I think lobby must be a a server with only waiting room. Where people can have live microphone chat. They can decide to seed certain empty server together.

• RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    i am curious when they release the 64bit update. i thought they would do with build 314.......
  • Sany_CZSany_CZ Join Date: 2017-03-11 Member: 228851Members
    This new "Play Now" update really f*ck my favorite servers. They are now full of players that cannot kill anybody in 30 minutes. Not only inexperienced, but just annoying. They do not build and just walk and do nothing. It made the game impossible to play, as one side got about 30% of these. It is no longer balanced. You can see who will win in first 4 minutes. At this point, it is so frustrating, that I cannot enjoy it any more.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2017
    Added the “All” tab back to the Server Browser and introduced a new server ranking system for the default sorting
    Buuuuuuhhhhh, that bullsh*t ns2large-server-who-also-a-name-of-some-derp at the top again when sorting for player count. Noone cares for some broken (!) default sorting. Remove that All tab asap!
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    do somethin about the smurfs. pleeeaaaaaase
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    Yeah they fubar'd the browser.

Now I have to click favorites every time I open it. Even better it puts EU servers at the top of the list every time.

Having a 250+ ping EU server show to a west coast US player as #1 in the list is just plain broken no matter how you look at it.
  • measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    MoFo1 wrote: »

Now I have to click favorites every time I open it. Even better it puts EU servers at the top of the list every time.

Having a 250+ ping EU server show to a west coast US player as #1 in the list is just plain broken no matter how you look at it.

That shouldn't happen. Ping is the primary ranking factor among servers with players. Screenshot?
    edited March 2017
    moultano wrote: »

That shouldn't happen. Ping is the primary ranking factor among servers with players. Screenshot?

Well it does. Open game, click server browser, and this is what I get.
    hbu8r3rnuq54.jpg

So two EU servers and a siege server, listed above favorited servers, for a west coast US player who hates siege mode...

*slow clap

Even in adding back the "all" tab I don't understand why you guys felt the need to tweak with how servers are sorted? It was working fine before.

Though if you'll also notice those worthless ping bars make it look like the US servers are equal in ping to the EU servers, which they are not. So there's another prime example of a bad change that made things worse.

40-100ms in US vs 180-250+ in EU = Both appear the same with ping bars.

• dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2017
    Since 314 the game is not saving some options wich are stored in ..\steam\userdata directory anymore.
    Even if i write protect the options.xml i have a new options.xml.stmp and all my key bindings and NS2+ settings are lost.

I have to setup all these options again after every PC reboot. Its kinda annoying.
    Deleting the 4920 Folder didnt helped to solve the issue.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2017

Well it does. Open game, click server browser, and this is what I get.
    hbu8r3rnuq54.jpg

So two EU servers and a siege server, listed above favorited servers, for a west coast US player who hates siege mode...

*slow clap

Even in adding back the "all" tab I don't understand why you guys felt the need to tweak with how servers are sorted? It was working fine before.

Though if you'll also notice those worthless ping bars make it look like the US servers are equal in ping to the EU servers, which they are not. So there's another prime example of a bad change that made things worse.

Is there something flaky about your internet? It looks like the server browser thinks all of those servers have the same terrible ping. Since the ping looks equally terrible, it's sorting the populated servers on top. (That's what it would have done before this change too.)

It seems like people pretty consistently want favorites to be a bigger factor, so we can change that.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2017

1 bar means that you have a latency higher than 250 ms to given servers which is under all circumstances not good and you should avoid playing on those servers. Basically your connection is not really allowing to favor any non empty server based on latency. Hence the ranking sorts EU servers with significant more players to the top. Given that 8bit is located in the UK you may actually have a better connection to it than to some east coast servers due to better routing.

I would suggest to you to enable displaying empty servers again to see local servers and start to seed them. Assuming you don't live in some very rural region you shouldn't be the only one facing this issue.
    edited March 2017
    The thing is, my ping to the US servers is way way waaaaaaay below 250ms (in fact even to the east coast it's almost always under 100ms!) and they still show as 1 bar.... It's definitely not my connection, my internet is fine.

It's also worth noting that back when we had the numbers in the browser, I never once saw a US server higher than 150ms, while EU servers always showed above 200ms.

• BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    The thing is, my ping to the US servers is way way waaaaaaay below 250ms (in fact even to the east coast it's almost always under 100ms!) and they still show as 1 bar.... It's definitely not my connection, my internet is fine.

It's also worth noting that back when we had the numbers in the browser, I never once saw a US server higher than 150ms, while EU servers always showed above 200ms.

Similar issue I've noticed. Don't know the underlying cause. Either way I prefer the numbers to the bar, although it's a minor issue to me.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah what's up with the ping bars... are we so dumb that we won't be able to understand hard numbers?
  • EbichuEbichu Japan Join Date: 2014-12-09 Member: 199999Members
    When I play on US servers from Russia, Moscow, my ping is about 125-150.
    On UK servers ~ 80
    What I am doing wrong?
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ebichu wrote: »
    On UK servers ~ 80
    What I am doing wrong?

Proof that Trump has been hacked by russians
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    prob routing you via east coast instead of west?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2017
    On UK servers ~ 80
    What I am doing wrong?

Hopping around the world wide digital network can be weird

I used to have a ~250-300ms ping on the PT server in the UWE office [The Netherlands <-> San Francisco]
    To another PT server in the mid west I got 140-170MS

Now here's the odd thing... Due to me connecting through the Atlantic pipes, I got close to a direct hop into the server as soon as I hit the American South-East coast, which is physically a much greater distance compared to the following dude...

Another PT from the East coast (I dunno, NY? :D ), got the same ping on the PT server in SanFran and a higher ping on that mid west server, hopping around the USA like Daffy Duck

Me from the Netherlands
    250-300ms & 140-170ms

My "NY" dude (dammit I forgot your name)
    250-300ms & 180-200ms

Enjoy the oddball router hopping, now TBH the USA's internal network router hopping is a mess, with all those companies competing with each other instead of coorperating like the EU...

Hmm... Strange, EU can't work together but the network is superb. USA is kinda "one country" but your network is antagonistic! :D
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2017
    I am on the west coast. I get about a 40 ping to California, 100 ping to New York, 150 ping to the UK, and 200 ping to Las Vegas. One of these is not like the others.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2017
    WTF @Nordic, how are you hopping around man. That is kinda taking a trip around the block, to get to your front yard!
  • KarpmanKarpman Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172488Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    On UK servers ~ 80
    What I am doing wrong?

Hopping around the world wide digital network can be weird

I used to have a ~250-300ms ping on the PT server in the UWE office [The Netherlands <-> San Francisco]
    To another PT server in the mid west I got 140-170MS

Now here's the odd thing... Due to me connecting through the Atlantic pipes, I got close to a direct hop into the server as soon as I hit the American South-East coast, which is physically a much greater distance compared to the following dude...

Another PT from the East coast (I dunno, NY? :D ), got the same ping on the PT server in SanFran and a higher ping on that mid west server, hopping around the USA like Daffy Duck

Me from the Netherlands
    250-300ms & 140-170ms

My "NY" dude (dammit I forgot your name)
    250-300ms & 180-200ms

Enjoy the oddball router hopping, now TBH the USA's internal network router hopping is a mess, with all those companies competing with each other instead of coorperating like the EU...

Hmm... Strange, EU can't work together but the network is superb. USA is kinda "one country" but your network is antagonistic! :D

America! Our innovation is matched only by our incompetence.