Why can't we crouch?

JolianJolian Join Date: 2007-05-23 Member: 60995Members, Constellation
What's up with the no crouch key?

I keep wanting to crouch so I can see better through the porthole windows in my early base. Is there a Stalker out there? A Sandshark? :|

Comments

• awesomeguy101awesomeguy101 Join Date: 2016-06-21 Member: 218886Members
    I'm pretty shure I saw a post like this before. If I remember correctly the devs want to free up keyboard space for other features. I myself think a crouch would only be valuable if there were important spots that require it. At the moment there is not much use for a crouch button.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Cause there's no toilet in the game??

:*
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2017
    Hmm, dunno about that... There are FPS games with loads more keys than Subnautica ever would require, which have CTRL or C as crouch :D

NS/NS2 are in that group :D

My guess is, the focus is on 90% swimming, so that 10% walkybit seems outclassed (or they forgot)
  • JolianJolian Join Date: 2007-05-23 Member: 60995Members, Constellation
    @everyone, no doubt. Just seems like it would be ridiculously simple to implement.
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    Crouch would be kinda cool, I can think of some use (like getting under my base [idk why]), but otherwise what is the overall point?
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Crouch would be kinda cool, I can think of some use (like getting under my base [idk why]), but otherwise what is the overall point?

Exactly.... Crouching as well as lying down are typically used in first person shooters so that you present a smaller target to your opponent. There isn't any point in needing to do either in a single player game--and one that is primarily about swimming in the ocean. There just isn't any point to adding it.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    The "you can't crouch while swimming; almost all of the game is swimming" argument is pretty much bulletproof, but I would like to add a bit of external perspective as well.

Ever try crouching in a wetsuit? Let's just say it puts a hard squeeze on bits that ought not be - and it doesn't matter if you're male or female. Crouching in a wetsuit is not a pleasant experience. I'm wagering our character made the mistake of doing that once and just won't repeat the error. ;)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2017
    Hehe as funny as it sounds, that actually makes a lot of sense :D

Reviews

Subnautica "Ever tried crouching in a wetsuit?" -scifiwriterguy
  • JolianJolian Join Date: 2007-05-23 Member: 60995Members, Constellation
    For everyone saying there's no point, as the first post says, it would be nice to be able to see out the windows in a base. They're mid-height, and I can't get down to see out of them very well. The only window that works really well is the end-cap one that goes at the end of a tube, and that's only half a sphere.
    Jolian wrote: »
    For everyone saying there's no point, as the first post says, it would be nice to be able to see out the windows in a base. They're mid-height, and I can't get down to see out of them very well. The only window that works really well is the end-cap one that goes at the end of a tube, and that's only half a sphere.

There's a simple answer to that problem...

Go out and look at what you want to see.

B)
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »

Good point. We demand that our character is able to poop! It happens in Ark Survival. >.<
    Myrm wrote: »
    DaveyNY wrote: »

Good point. We demand that our character is able to poop! It happens in Ark Survival. >.<

You can poop, your assorted wetsuits have a trapdoor in the back that automatically opens upon the detection of feces.

That's why every once in a while it feels a little drafty back there.
    B)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Jolian wrote: »

Build a chair by the window and sit in it. ;)