Splash Down (A Subnautica Story)

Comments

• TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    "If those small fish feel safe enough to swim near that thing, maybe it's not dangerous."

He clearly hasn't heard of the symbiosis between sharks and remora. ;)
  • ThunderShock27ThunderShock27 America Join Date: 2017-02-13 Member: 227880Members
    edited March 2017
    "If those small fish feel safe enough to swim near that thing, maybe it's not dangerous."

He clearly hasn't heard of the symbiosis between sharks and remora. ;)

Well being an engineer, I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't as knowledgeable of ocean biology. Luckily for him, it was a safe assumption. Let's just hope he doesn't make assumptions like that when it comes to the sea dragon or reaper. ;)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    The pragmatic part of me would have marked the cargo position and speed for later pick up, in case there were no survivors (or only a very few) -- might be able to salvage something on the way back, right? Although you would hope to not have any room, if there's no (or only one or two) survivors, you might want to be able to salvage some of your original mission on the way back.

I imagine there was an in-universe reason for this, though (cargo was dumped at FTL speeds, destroying or permanently losing it?)
  • ThunderShock27ThunderShock27 America Join Date: 2017-02-13 Member: 227880Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    The pragmatic part of me would have marked the cargo position and speed for later pick up, in case there were no survivors (or only a very few) -- might be able to salvage something on the way back, right? Although you would hope to not have any room, if there's no (or only one or two) survivors, you might want to be able to salvage some of your original mission on the way back.

I imagine there was an in-universe reason for this, though (cargo was dumped at FTL speeds, destroying or permanently losing it?)

I wanted there to be some high steaks for the Sunbeam crew to show how sacrificial they were for the sake of anyone on 4546B and so jettisoning 4 years worth of work is what I came up with. I was also having trouble logicing out a reason why they wouldn't be able to keep their cargo and I think I have the solution. Since their company is mainly concerned with profit rather than employee well-being, the sunbeam was only equipped with enough fuel to complete its mission, there and back, plus a little extra for unforeseen issues. The Sunbeam only has enough extra fuel to stop by and check for survivors and if there are some, pick them up and immediately continue back home. They wouldn't be able to backtrack to get the cargo. If they dropped the cargo off on the planet, they wouldn't be able to come back to get it for another several years and who knows what condition that cargo would be in by then? So either way, dropping it off on the planet, or leaving it in space, the cargo would be lost or severely damaged. Especially if some of their cargo is perishable or susceptible to water or the vacuum of space. I'll try and incorporate this plot-hole filler in the coming chapters.
    Chapter 11: Auxiliary Mission

The sun had set and Jeff had a very restless sleep as the pod gently sloshed up and down and side to side on the small waves. The pod didn't have any bedding so Jeff was forced to sleep on the floor. Uncomfortable, Jeff was unable to get more than two to three hours of sleep. At the crack of dawn, Jeff headed out in search of other life pods and salvage. He had gotten life-pod 17's signal and upon investigation found several fragments of a vehicle known as the 'seamoth'. Seeing as how the Aurora's mission directive had never mentioned anything about sending anyone planet-side, Jeff found this quite odd. Having found all the materials he needed to create his own seamoth, Jeff began heading back when he came across some wreckage he hadn't noticed before that was in the area of the 'safe shallows' as he had come to call it.

"Huh, might as well take a peek while I'm heading this direction."

He swam down to the wreck and looked for an opening or a door to open. After a few moments, he found a shattered section of an air vent that lead into the wreck and squeezed his way inside. The wreck didn't have much in terms of anything useful. It was part of a locker room. Disintegrating paper and personal belongings of all kinds were strewn about on the floor and floating aimlessly. After a quick look around, Jeff was just about to leave when he noticed an abandoned PDA on the ground slightly hidden under an overturned bench. He snatched it up and read the first log.

- Search & Rescue
    - Crew of the Mongolian vessel 'Degasi'
    - Ariadne Arm
    - Contact: Emissary Jochi Khasar, Aurora Passenger Quarters, Room 4

Mission brief:
    A Mongolian vessel, the 'Degasi', disappeared almost a decade ago. Corporate insurance has purchased passage aboard the Aurora for Emissary Khasar, and your orders are to afford them every reasonable facility to locate and, if appropriate, retrieve the Degasi crewmembers, without compromising the primary mission.

The Aurora is due to perform a gravity slingshot maneuver around planet 4546B approximately 13 months post-launch. This will bring the ship within range of the Degasi's last known position.

Degasi crew manifesto has been distributed to senior employees in a separate data package.

The log then listed names and information about high priority missing persons related to the Degasi ship.

Paul Torgal

Margureit Maida

Bart Torgal

Jeff was stunned.

"Wha-... So the Aurora had a secret Auxilary mission? A search and rescue for a lost ship that went down on this planet long ago..."

He tried to take it all in.

"Well that explains all the aquatic supplies I've been running into like the seamoth... But... why was this kept a secret?"

Sally interupted his thoughts. "Thirty seconds."

Jeff dropped the PDA and left out the way he came. As he closed the remaining distance to the pod, he continued to ponder what this meant.

"I wonder what happened to the Degasi... I don't see any remnants of any ship other than the Aurora. Is it possible that any of the Degasi crew are still alive?"

As Jeff climbed up the side of the pod, he decided to push those thoughts to the back of his mind and focus on the task at hand. Build a seamoth and heading to the Aurora. With the rad suit he had gotten he would be able to brave the contaminated waters that were slowly spreading out of the ship. Jeff's brain told him that the Aurora's quantum detonation would have killed anyone still alive within a 1 kilometer range, but his heart told him to hold on to the hope that some one was still alive on the Aurora. He had to find out and the supplies he could get by searching the Aurora would be quite helpful as well. After crafting a portable vehicle bay at the fabricator and drinking some fresh water he had salvaged from a creature he had found that filtered water in its body, Jeff dove once more into the ocean and deployed the vehicle platform. He hoisted himself up onto it and interacted with the small console. He had the materials he needed and the blueprints for a seamoth and he began construction. Four small fabrication drones flew out of the portable vehicle bay platform and began fabricating a seamoth. Once complete, the seamoth lit up and began running an automatic diagnostics. Jeff dropped into the water and swam to the seamoth, getting inside as the computer finished its system check.

"-stems online. Welcome aboard captain." Said the robotic voice of the seamoth's computer.

Jeff checked his inventory. He had been stockpiling water and still had two whole nutrient blocks.

"Ok, we're a go. Let's do this."

Jeff firmly gripped the seamoth's steering wheel and put the sub into drive sending it flying through the water at a great speed. Instantly Jeff felt safer than he ever had before and the biggest smile he had ever had since last seeing Palmer appeared on his face. Suddenly, the thought of Palmer shattered his smile and his face returned to a grim seriousness as he regained focus on his objective. The Aurora. Through the surface of the water above, Jeff could make out the Aurora as he drew closer, and all around him the water was getting deeper and even more sinister than it had seemed before.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Here comes the Reaper Leviathan!
  • LordArmageddonLordArmageddon Join Date: 2017-03-07 Member: 228713Members
    This is a great story, definitely on the same level as Bugzapper's!

I'm fairly new to the Subnautica forums so I hadn't read any of bugzapper's content, but I just recently started reading his 'Borealis Rising' story and holy heck words! His writing is phenomenal and filled with a level of detail and intellect far better than anything I've ever read! I've been encapsulated by that story for the majority of today in fact. I'm certainly not on his level, but thanks for the compliment! :blush:
    edited March 2017

I'm fairly new to the Subnautica forums so I hadn't read any of bugzapper's content, but I just recently started reading his 'Borealis Rising' story and holy heck words! His writing is phenomenal and filled with a level of detail and intellect far better than anything I've ever read! I've been encapsulated by that story for the majority of today in fact. I'm certainly not on his level, but thanks for the compliment! :blush:

Did you start with Aurora Falls, the prequel story? :)
    Great update by the way.
    edited March 2017

Did you start with Aurora Falls, the prequel story? :)
    Great update by the way.

I haven't read the Aurora Falls yet. I honestly didn't know it existed until a while ago but in the reading of the Borealis I had suspected that he had done a previous story. I will certainly try to go back and read that after I catch up on the Borealis Rising.
  • ApoNonoApoNono United States Join Date: 2017-02-26 Member: 228282Members
    what!? no more? I have sat here reading every chapter while I drink my saturday morning pot of coffee. Great story work @ThunderShock27! Do you plan to continue?
    ApoNono wrote: »
    what!? no more? I have sat here reading every chapter while I drink my saturday morning pot of coffee. Great story work @ThunderShock27! Do you plan to continue?

Yeah! I plan to continue all the way through the story of Subnautica. Please forgive me if I skip a lot of the grindy stuff though. As you may have noticed Jeff tends to just kinda have all the materials he needs because I typically mention that he does the material grinding between chapters. I figured material grinding is the kinda thing you do in the real game and would be best left out for the sake of the story. Don't worry, this story is going all the way until Jeff either gets off the planet, or dies trying. You'll just have to wait for each installment to find out! :wink:
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    ApoNono wrote: »

Yeah! I plan to continue all the way through the story of Subnautica. Please forgive me if I skip a lot of the grindy stuff though. As you may have noticed Jeff tends to just kinda have all the materials he needs because I typically mention that he does the material grinding between chapters. I figured material grinding is the kinda thing you do in the real game and would be best left out for the sake of the story. Don't worry, this story is going all the way until Jeff either gets off the planet, or dies trying. You'll just have to wait for each installment to find out! :wink:

I think it's better that way. A story where you have to collect a ton of materials would be boring.

I can just imagine it.

"Jeff searched for quartz in the Safe Shallows. He couldn't find any, so he moved on.

Jeff continued his search, but it was in vain. He couldn't find anymore quartz. So Jeff decided to go to a different biome.

Then Jeff saw some, so he swam over and grabbed some. He still needed more. Jeff saw some other pieces of quartz across the sand. So he swam over and grabbed them.

Now Jeff had all the quartz he needed."

THE END
    You see what I mean? Boring.
    edited March 2017
  • LordArmageddonLordArmageddon Join Date: 2017-03-07 Member: 228713Members

Well. If not the same level only two or three under him. I used to mess around on other game forums and some of those stories were horrible!
    edited March 2017

That's the sequel, you might want to read Aurora Falls first. EDIT I see that's been mentioned. Sorry, please disregard.
    edited March 2017
    Chapter 14: Pressing On

There was so much... So much blood. No sign of any human remains, just blood, blood everywhere, splattered on the wall and pooling on the ground. The floor was crawling with strange four legged crab creatures Jeff had noticed on the outside of the ship earlier on. His stomach churned and his sanity quivered for a moment.

"Oh my God... Holy... Aghh, I can't... I..."

It was horrific. No doubt these strange crab creatures had been feasting on whatever remained of the Aurora's crew. Anyone who HAD survived were likely too wounded to fight back and were consumed by these horrible creatures as well. Every place where blood stained the ground or wall was likely where a body had once been. Jeff's mind couldn't handle it. He had never been able to handle horror movies and had always despised gore. Seeing so much blood caused his imagination to run wild and he couldn't control it. He grabbed his head in his hands and tried to bring himself back to reality. After a tense moment of Jeff's sanity wavering on the brink, He slowly began to calm down.

"I... I can do this... I... I've got to press on... J-Just don't... don't think about it..."

As he stepped down the stairs to the floor of the bay, he used his extinguisher to deter any crab creatures that got to close. Luckily, the creatures seemed irritated by the chemicals in the extinguisher mist and it was likely due to the strange eye-like bulge on the tops of their heads. He made his way to the cargo lift that would take him down further into the ship gathering supplies from various crates along the way. The lift was broken and stuck at the bottom of the shaft. The loading bay at the bottom was partially underwater.

"Oh great, more ocean. Just when I thought I could get away from it for a while."

Jeff carefully made his way down the sloped shaft of the lift and jumped into the waist-high water. A doorway on the other side of the room lead into a hallway with another pair of directional signs. 'SUBMERSIBLE BAY' to the right and 'DRIVE ROOM' to the left. Jeff waded his way over to the Sub bay door. The terminal had been fried and all the wires were hanging out. Taking out his welder, he began repairing the wires he knew were essential to reactivating the door.

"Thank God I'm an Engineer."

The door flew open into a massive bay where in Seamoths were dangling from their hangers that connected them to the roof. At the very end of the bay were the fragments of two Cyclopses being held up by large metal ship braces. One of them was completely shattered and the other was broken in two.

"I guess this was the place where they kept all the stuff needed for the retrieval of the Degassi. I had always wondered why that door had had a level 9 clearance."

Jeff searched around scanning the severely damaged pieces of the cyclopses and finding a pressure compensator for a seamoth. He exited the bay and was passing the drive room entrance to continue on to the locker room when sally piped up.

"Though the drive core is no longer repairable, the automatic high energy particle containment field can be repaired to neutralize radiation levels in the area. Suggest repairing the H.E.P.C.F. by sealing any breaches."

He stopped for a second, "I guess that would probably be a good idea for the long term."

He waded down the drive room hall as the water got shallower and shallower until he was on dry floor again. Rounding a corner, he came to another pile of debris falling in from the ceiling covered in flames. After a quick blast from the fire extinguisher, Jeff hoisted himself over the rubble and walked through the doorway into the drive room. Four large particle accelerators rose up from the ground below. Jeff was standing on a large catwalk that ran along the perimeter of the square room.

"Commencing diagnostic scan." Sally said.

After a moment, she continued, "Particle accelerator cores have 10 confirmed breaches. If these breaches are sealed,
    automatic particle containment will begin."

"Sounds easy enough..."

Jeff jumped into the water flooding the lower level of the room and began searching for breaches. He found the first one and took out his welder and began sealing the breach. Then, he heard a strange noise. A faint noise barely noticeable but certainly not mechanical. He glanced around as he continued welding. The water seemed completely empty. Suddenly, he felt a pain in is left arm as if some one had stabbed a jagged piece of glass through his arm. Jeff let out a scream and jerked his arm up from his side to reveal a small, bulbous creature latched onto his arm. He shifted his welder from the breach to the creature. Instantly the flesh of the creature melted away and it reflexively detached from his arm only to become a lifeless bag of tissue in the water as Jeff's own blood leaked out of the creature's body.

"Arhhg! Just what I needed, big, fat, aquatic, squid-lookin versions of mosquitoes."

Jeff continued sealing the breaches being more cautious and keeping a more weary eye out for those small light-bulb looking creatures. Every once in a while, one would come near and a quick burst from the welder would reduce the creature to melted tissue. Finally, Jeff completed sealing the final breach.

"High energy particle containment field restored. Auto decontamination sequence initiated. Aquatic radiation levels are estimated to return to safe levels in T-minus 3 days, 10 hours."

Jeff swam back up to the catwalk ladder and hoisted himself back onto it. Then, Sally began again.

"Communications relay receiving incoming message from Sunbeam. Relaying message to PDA."
    Love the horrific atmosphere you set up in the Aurora.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Wait, wait, wait, wait, hold up.

What?

Palmer survived!?

Dang, I was not expecting that twist, well done @ThunderShock27.
    For a moment there I thought you were going to have them rescue Palmer to make the Sunbeam ending hit closer to home for Jeff. Had me worried, because Jeff isn't the only one who would have been hit close to home. :'(
    edited March 2017
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    For a moment there I thought you were going to have them rescue Palmer to make the Sunbeam ending hit closer to home for Jeff. Had me worried, because Jeff isn't the only one who would have been hit close to home. :'(

Your heart has been somewhat spared my friend ;) ... For now.
    Wow, and I thought Jeff had it bad. Floating in the void in tiny, cramped quarters like that in near darkness, surrounded by (Probably) human remains would be one of my worst nightmares.
  • Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
    "Sally" huh? I take it that's a JackSepticEye reference?
    Phoenix223 wrote: »
    "Sally" huh? I take it that's a JackSepticEye reference?

Wh- ah- bwa- I'm- Wa- I would nev- of- cou- Yes. XD