Not able to pick up an item full inventory

AsubaAsuba FRANCE Join Date: 2016-04-16 Member: 215835Members
Good evening,

If there is a "simple" modification that would have to be made to the game, it would be to not be able to pick up objects, when our inventory is full.

Objects (for example: "Fruit lantern"), which as it is irremediably lost and therefore destroyed.

Problem also encountered with: "Kits of care" or "Blood oil", to name but three examples.

There is no death of man in itself, but it is still very painful. :/

PS: Sorry for my English, I had to translate my post via Google Translator. :)

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    @Asuba the "Kits of care" (medkits) do not get destroyed. They get pushed through the wall behind the medkit fabricator. You can usually find them if you look outside opposite of where the medkit fabricator is located on your base / lifepod.
  • AsubaAsuba FRANCE Join Date: 2016-04-16 Member: 215835Members
    I did not know. But good it is still wobbly if it is necessary to leave its base and pick up the kit outside ... :/

And then this is not valid for other items such as fruit lantern or Blood oil.

Anyway thanks for the info. :wink:
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    I haven't personally run into anything getting destroyed because I had no inventory space. When harvesting the Creepvine Pods, for instance, when I ran out of room in my inventory it simply wouldn't let me pick more. I don't know if this is the same with other items, personally.
  • Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
    edited March 2017
    Kyman201 wrote: »
    I haven't personally run into anything getting destroyed because I had no inventory space. When harvesting the Creepvine Pods, for instance, when I ran out of room in my inventory it simply wouldn't let me pick more. I don't know if this is the same with other items, personally.

Trying to harvest Creepvine Samples (using a knife) with a full inventory results in the item being destroyed; anything else obtainable by hand isn't even picked up.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    Phoenix223 wrote: »
    Trying to harvest Creepvine Samples (using a knife) with a full inventory results in the item being destroyed; anything else obtainable by hand isn't even picked up.

Well the thing with harvesting Creepvine Samples is that it kinda takes more than one whack to destroy the creepvine. Is there a notification in the HUD about your inventory being full? Then you should be able to stop before you destroy the entire stalk.
  • Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
    Kyman201 wrote: »
    Phoenix223 wrote: »

Well the thing with harvesting Creepvine Samples is that it kinda takes more than one whack to destroy the creepvine. Is there a notification in the HUD about your inventory being full? Then you should be able to stop before you destroy the entire stalk.

Of course, it doesn't destroy the entity itself in one shot, but the point is that you still lose the item. By the time you get that notification and it even registers with the player, you've already sent one or two Vine Samples into oblivion.

And before you say anything, I know you can plant Creepvine Seeds; I do it whenever I can to prevent losing renewable resources. But worst case scenario: what if this happens with something that ISN'T renewable?
  • undefilerundefiler Join Date: 2017-03-02 Member: 228496Members
    edited March 2017
    For the record, I largely agree with the original post.

That said, this generally isn't a huge problem since most resources are renewable in this game and the unrenewable ones aren't pickable with a full inventory (eg scrap and metals etc).

There is only one situation in which this is a major issue and that's with crafting. I saw a story on reddit about one poor sod who crafted a stasis rifle with a full inventory and had it go poof on him :D This is possible with a number of recipes, but quite a bit less likely with the Seaglide and O2 tank since you generally make those very early on.

On the other hand, there are times when I have been glad extra items just get destroyed, for example once I was trying to clear a number of kelp plants around my base and had to chop down ~10 of them. You can do that easily by just chopping now, but if it had stopped me every time my inventory was full that would have been really annoying. I suppose dropping the kelp chunks would be acceptable?
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    edited March 2017
    undefiler wrote: »
    There is only one situation in which this is a major issue and that's with crafting. I saw a story on reddit about one poor sod who crafted a stasis rifle with a full inventory and had it go poof on him :D This is possible with a number of recipes, but quite a bit less likely with the Seaglide and O2 tank since you generally make those very early on.
    I think the devs already took care of that. Now when you fabricate something with a full inventory it just stays on the fabricator for you to pick up. At least it does for me on the latest stable version. Have not tested it with all recipes though. I think you can try to simulate this by stepping away from the fabricator while it is working. Should have the same effect.