What one of Aurora crew are we?

13»

Comments

• scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    A ranking engineer, has to be. In the 'wake up' animation after being knocked out; just the way the character hits those buttons, and with absolute assertiveness punches down on to the panel (clearly over familiar with these things, a bit like a guitarist picking up a guitar compared to a non guitar player.. it just looks and feels like they know what they're doing). So coupled with the familiarity of tech, and the innate ability to pilot the subs, and the competence fixing the Aurora's engine room parts.. I think this guy is pretty up the ladder on the ships technology tree. The ability to jury rig stuff goes way beyond any other class.

I love the intrigue though.

"Familiar?" I didn't realize punching a control panel indicated familiarity. If so...hell, I'm one of the world's leading experts on Comcast boxes...
  • awesomeguy101awesomeguy101 Join Date: 2016-06-21 Member: 218886Members
    Tribeofone wrote: »
    Another Question why are we in a diving suit to start? Could be an answer.
    The suit was probably put on in an emergency locker or something. It makes sense that in our rush to put that thing on we didn't have time to grab any other supplies.

• margifishmargifish North Carolina Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216796Members
    My head canon is that my character is an exozoologist...hence why she (and yes I know the current model is a guy, but in my head it's the eventual female option :P ) is spending so much time and effort cataloging the life forms in the ocean instead of more relevant survival things like building machines lol
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    IMHO engineer or support. Picked engineer, cause, you know, Selkirk.
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    He's a janitor, I remember one of the text messages at the bottom of the screen once referenced to that being what your job was on the aurora
  • robotflyrobotfly Virginia Join Date: 2015-07-16 Member: 206185Members
    I found something a little while ago if I find it I'll edit this post but I saw something that referenced us as an engineer. I think it may have been the readme file at the beginning of the game in the PDA.
  • RedMallieRedMallie America Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214355Members
    Support crew. My character is a cook with very little experience. S/he is called CC Cook. Yes, absolutely unimaginative, but that's what it is, hahaha.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    Tribeofone wrote: »
    Another Question why are we in a diving suit to start? Could be an answer.

I believe the diving suit is actually just one of the regular uniforms.
  • sabin77sabin77 edmonton Join Date: 2015-08-12 Member: 207081Members
  • the_marinerthe_mariner US of A Join Date: 2016-12-29 Member: 225653Members
    @robotfly, is this what you were referring to?
    Lifepods 1 - 27 launched OK at time
    T+0hrs prior to Aurora planetfall
    Lifepod survival rate: 40% approximate
    Emergency bouncebacks received from 7 lifepods on planet surface
    Human lifesigns detected over long range at T+8hrs: 1
    Personnel unaccounted for: Non-Essential
    Systems Maintenance Chief Ryley
    Continuing to monitor
    Monitoring equipment failed at T+9hrs

Systems Maintenance Chief Ryley. Call it a hunch, but I'm guessing that's our cyan-haired extraterrestrial scuba diver.

Even if it isn't, my guess is still that you're some sort of engineer. Your character seems pretty skilled at operating all the gear the Aurora had onboard: they don't appear to have any trouble with Cyclops and PRAWN Suit, which, I remind you, are high-tech industrial monstrosities. And if that's not enough to convince you, just take a look at the complexity of the bases you build; that's got to take at least some mechanical know-how.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    @robotfly, is this what you were referring to?
    Lifepods 1 - 27 launched OK at time
    T+0hrs prior to Aurora planetfall
    Lifepod survival rate: 40% approximate
    Emergency bouncebacks received from 7 lifepods on planet surface
    Human lifesigns detected over long range at T+8hrs: 1
    Personnel unaccounted for: Non-Essential
    Systems Maintenance Chief Ryley
    Continuing to monitor
    Monitoring equipment failed at T+9hrs

Systems Maintenance Chief Ryley. Call it a hunch, but I'm guessing that's our cyan-haired extraterrestrial scuba diver.

Even if it isn't, my guess is still that you're some sort of engineer. Your character seems pretty skilled at operating all the gear the Aurora had onboard: they don't appear to have any trouble with Cyclops and PRAWN Suit, which, I remind you, are high-tech industrial monstrosities. And if that's not enough to convince you, just take a look at the complexity of the bases you build; that's got to take at least some mechanical know-how.

So basically, our character is kinda-sorta like a Male version of Ripley.

aliens_convention_2.jpg

B)

• narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    In addition to the feats listed above, the player repairs the drive core, which is not recommended for untrained personnel.

I've seen a few arguments against being an engineer, but they can be explained. Repairs may seem automatic with the repair tool, but fixing our lifepod includes wires bending back in place. Our "first use" look at a tool is not unfamiliarity, but inspecting a tool to verify quality and make sure there are no differences from what is expected. A "survival mode" builder tool might have different buttons from one the crew normally use. We may be completely reliant on blueprints and technology, but that is probably normal in a high-tech society - how many can make a fire from scratch, no matches?
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    edited March 2017
    narfblat wrote: »
    how many can make a fire from scratch, no matches?

I can. It's actually not that hard with a flint and steel, and possible, if difficult, with other rocks and any piece of iron. Using friction is very hard, but if I worked at it, I think I could do it.

I still maintain that our character is not an engineer, or at least not a good one, because they have ZERO capability to create anything new. There is not one single thing we build in the game that is not a pre-programed blueprint. I can think of any number of items, however, that even I, as someone with no formal survival or engineering training, could construct by hand, with the materials available, that would be quite useful. Not the least among them is a bloody SPEAR.
    edited March 2017
    My guess is that the time period our toon comes from, is so far advanced and reliant on Technology (as compared to now), that what we call an "Engineer" is something totally different by that time.

They don't consider making a spear out of 'sticks and stones' to be 'engineering'...

B)
    sayerulz wrote: »
    how many can make a fire from scratch, no matches?

I can. It's actually not that hard with a flint and steel, and possible, if difficult, with other rocks and any piece of iron. Using friction is very hard, but if I worked at it, I think I could do it.

I still maintain that our character is not an engineer, or at least not a good one, because they have ZERO capability to create anything new. There is not one single thing we build in the game that is not a pre-programed blueprint. I can think of any number of items, however, that even I, as someone with no formal survival or engineering training, could construct by hand, with the materials available, that would be quite useful. Not the least among them is a bloody SPEAR.
    Got to go with @DaveyNY on this one. Being an engineer doesn't necessarily translate to creative ability - our character could be a maintenance technician, or a drone operator. In the future, "mechanical prowess" may very well still mean "capable of building and operating complex machinery", just not by hand.
    Then I pity the braindead sheeple of the future who can't do anything without a machine to do it for them.
    Then I pity the braindead sheeple of the future who can't do anything without a machine to do it for them.

Consider the Fabricator, it's practically the same thing as the Replicator from Star Trek.

Put in raw material and tell the machine what to make, the Engineering aspect would be keeping the unit operating not actually figuring out the formulas.

That would be dependent on a Software Operator/Creator to input the data.
    B)
    DaveyNY wrote: »

Consider the Fabricator, it's practically the same thing as the Replicator from Star Trek.

Put in raw material and tell the machine what to make, the Engineering aspect would be keeping the unit operating not actually figuring out the formulas.

this annoys me for some reason ---> B)

Well, the fabricator does not seem to need to be maintained in any way, and anyway, my point is we shouldn't need to fabricator. People talk about our character being resourceful, but he seems to me to be incredibly un-resourceful. I mean come on, what is one resourceful thing that you can make or do in this game?
    edited March 2017
    DaveyNY wrote: »

this annoys me for some reason ---> B)

Well, the fabricator does not seem to need to be maintained in any way, and anyway, my point is we shouldn't need to fabricator. People talk about our character being resourceful, but he seems to me to be incredibly un-resourceful. I mean come on, what is one resourceful thing that you can make or do in this game?
    <ul>
    <li>Stay Alive till the Rescue-ship is Built

<li>Gather the Resources in 'Deadly Creature Infested Waters', to Use in the Fabricator.

<li>Decide Wisely, where to build a Safe base of operations.

<li>Catch Fish for H20 and Food in Survival Mode.</li></ul>

B) <--- (apparently, my psyche lives to annoy people)
    @DaveyNY You forgot to mention:
    - Manages to gather comprehensive data on dozens of lifeforms (if you're so inclined), some of which can swallow you in a single gulp
    - Repairs the Aurora's leaky, radioactive drive core with a welder while immersed in water that's crawling with blood-sucking parasites
    - When they learn they're infected with a bacteria that will kill them in five weeks, instead of giving up, figures out how to get down to 1700m in order to find the one thing capable of curing them
    - Sea Emperor eggs are in the wrong environment? Create a cocktail composed of plants from all the biomes they've visited, and use that to hatch the eggs
    - Ship sent to rescue them gets shot down? NOT A PROBLEM. Build your own rocket using duct tape, scrap metal, and alien technology.
    How's that for resourceful?
    Doesn't the PDA computer tell you to do all of those things?
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    edited March 2017
    Doesn't the PDA computer tell you to do all of those things?

Yep. Our dear cyan-headed character isn't resourceful as much as he is a very capable errand boy who occasionally squanders resources on things like chairs and beds. (Seriously, dude, just sleep on the floor.)

The PDA, on the other hand, is downright brilliant. Is able to make highly detailed deductions based on incomplete evidence, interfaces seamlessly with other devices, waterproof to over 1700m, and never crashes. Clearly not a Surface. (Pun semi-intended.)
    In addition to the feats listed above, the player repairs the drive core, which is not recommended for untrained personnel. ?

Oh, do come on. A Xerox machine warns you that unjamming certain parts should be left to "trained personnel," but most of us will just yank the paper out, training be damned. Besides, we didn't do squat in fixing the Aurora's drive core. We didn't fix anything. We welded some holes shut and didn't even need a scrap of welding training to do it:
    1. Aim repair tool at hole
    2. Pull trigger
    If hole is not gone, repeat steps 1 and 2. NOTE: If hand catches fire, hold repair tool from other end.
    I believe the diving suit is actually just one of the regular uniforms

Absolutely. In fact, it could even make a serviceable spacesuit. Current research along those lines is proving very fruitful. Google "compression spacesuit" if you're so inclined. :)
  • John124John124 Join Date: 2018-03-31 Member: 239673Members
    Non-Essential Systems Maintenance Chief Ryley Robinson. Found it on the Aurora Black Box Data.
    edited March 2018
    John124 wrote: »
    Non-Essential Systems Maintenance Chief Ryley Robinson. Found it on the Aurora Black Box Data.

This thread is over a year old. Please avoid necroposting for this very reason.

@Foxy, could you shut down this thread, por favor?
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Well, it does have some value in that we can see what people guessed before the canon...

Are you just miffed we aren't a member of the support crew? ;)
  • AmadeoneAmadeone YES Join Date: 2017-05-02 Member: 230194Members
    I think that we're an engineer, that just joined the company. He was teached how to use all the vehicles in case of a problem, but has never used some tools, because he had no occasion. That's why there are all these first use animation are from. Or maybe he just want to play a little bit. Everyone has that child inside
  • Aurora_SurvivorAurora_Survivor Naperville Illinois Join Date: 2018-01-04 Member: 234809Members
    You are non essential systems chief Ryley Robinson. It says so in the unaccounted personnel section of the Aurora black box data download.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    I honestly don't care about cannon in this situation. I'm much more happy to have my personal character. In my game, I image my character as a Passenger. While they are resourceful, it doesn't always mean they're on a special team. I think of my survivor as a passenger who was going to the phasegate to get money for his family back home. When he crashed, he wanted to go home to his family. Soon, he had went home. He struck a deal to sell the planet to Alterra and he went back to his family with an extra million credits.

Also, if you say "No, his name is Ryley Robinson, not your guy!" It' my own guy. C'mon fam, lemme be my own thing.