extend gameplay

fallennight1986fallennight1986 texas Join Date: 2016-12-21 Member: 225320Members
i saw someone post somthing ive been wanting to suggest only slightly different so your main goal is shut off gun build rocket escape planet but it doesnt have to end there why not after 1.0 add this after you escape your presumably a long way from civilization so on the way you probly have to hit other plants for food or some kind of fuel source, so make a dlc for after 1.0 where you land on another alien planet to find supplys like fuel or food or both so you can make it home, but when you land you find carar has infested the planet more new bases creatures and alien blueprints but a twist this time your not th only one alive there u as u progress fing a research base with 1 actual living precurser trying to cure the planet and you must find an alien blueprint for a alien language translator so you can comunicate with it it says it will give you enough fuel to make it to the neerest human settlment, if you help him/her capture a creature deep in the depths of the planets ocean one like the emperor immunity wise to the carar but more agressive fast and hard to catch cause its the size of a reaper leviathan and deep down in an ocean surrounded by monsters big and small but each with even more unique abilitys one example camo, just fill in more of the story line and items as you want but good idea devs right?

Comments

• SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    Honestly this just brings the scope of the game too far. No support.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited February 2017
    How bout we don't suggest DLC until after 1.0 has been out for around 4 months. This is so the devs can add dlc if they want and the dlc will be what the majority fans want (I.e maybe a terraforming dlc that is for people who have computers that can withstand terraforming)
    Or maybe a DLC that adds in something else that is cool
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    I'd rather have one well-done planet than jump to several same-y planets, personally.
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    Lets not remake No Man's Sky.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members

• scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members

Aw, why? It was such a colossal disappointment and so many people resented their preorder payments so much that they...

...nevermind; answered my own question.
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
  • fallennight1986fallennight1986 texas Join Date: 2016-12-21 Member: 225320Members
    i said 1 planet and there ud get enough suupplys to get to a human settlment
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    You may disagree with me also @fallennight1986 but the way I see it a whole new planet is way more then a single DLC could fill IMO. With DLC you add a nice questline or other stuff to the existing game and not almost a whole new game. Your idea would rather fit into a Subnautica Part 2 or something alike...
    And by the way, how should the Carar have gotten to another planet? I mean they dedicated a frickin huge gun (maybe more to cover the whole planet) to prevent anything form leaving the planet. Carar was created on this planet by the Precursors and then it infected pretty much the whole planet. Even the Precursors themself have not left the planet or did they? So I see no good story twist how it could have gotten offworld just to infect another planet.

It would be nice if they would add the possibility to find a living precursor that still searches for a cure on 4546B or something alike IF they ever make a DLC.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Here's the thing though. It would take years. Coding isn't easy. Look how long subanutica has been in development. Adding a new planet for dlc would most likely take the same amount of time. It would be better to stay with one planet. Also this would most likely lag people who don't have a super computer like mine. Also dlc should be something that can be added in a couple days to 2 months. The devs ask what dlc should be added. Then after about 2 months the devs can add them. Like a terrafomer dlc for people who can handle the lag. More base parts. New biomes. More craftable items. Etc.
  • fallennight1986fallennight1986 texas Join Date: 2016-12-21 Member: 225320Members
    it was origonaly. a part 2 idea but people just bashed the idea
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Being a REAL MAN, my opinion is the only one that counts :D

Yes, more planets in the future!!! :)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    So we're gonna try and find more water worlds? Or are we just going for the usual open world space exploration with planets :o

Alright, let's just break it down...

What, narratively, does this add to the game?

Nothing. It adds nothing but time and filler. It's basically "That ending you earned? Just kidding. Jump through hoops and do it all again for Victory Animation Take 2". The sense of satisfaction that comes from saying "I did it... I lived, I conquered, I got off this water-ball!" is now jerked out of your hands until you dance, monkey, DANCE.

It would actively reduce the story experience of the overall planned arc of the game.
    Kyman201 wrote: »

Nothing. It adds nothing but time and filler. It's basically "That ending you earned? Just kidding. Jump through hoops and do it all again for Victory Animation Take 2". The sense of satisfaction that comes from saying "I did it... I lived, I conquered, I got off this water-ball!" is now jerked out of your hands until you dance, monkey, DANCE.

It would actively reduce the story experience of the overall planned arc of the game.

look in all honesty im standing by my ideas and those of what others had that i thought were good cause to be honest and not tryin to be mean to anyone on forums but someone is always gonna knock down or bash ur ideas weather its 1 or several so from now on regardless i stand by my ideas and the ideas of anyone else actualy giving ideas or creative add ons.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    It's is one thing to stand behind your ideas but the way I see it, it's another thing to be "resistant to arguments" so to speak. As long as you put your ideas in a forum thread you should be open for constructive criticism. As long as people bring you fair and good arguments you should pick them up instead of ignoring them. At least that is what I see as the main use for putting ideas up on a forum. :wink:

This is not meant to insult you or anything but maybe your ideas are sometimes not so well thought through if you mainly get back rather negative feedback for them. Or maybe many users here (including me) are all just a bunch of very critic happy Subnautica fans...

I think both could be the case here to some degree.

So stay open for criticism as long as it is fair and not mean. Some basic ideas are really getting great feedback here and kinda "mature" into great ideas with thoughts from many minds, which is (at least for me) a good thing.
  • BossblasterBossblaster None Join Date: 2017-02-17 Member: 228004Members

I see what you are saying, but wouldn't it be optional? If not I am an idiot who doesn't pay attention.
    im not ignoring them but hearing the exact same thing on multiple threads gets irritating these r the exact same argument from my idea about a part 2 just from different people but what they dont think about is a. its unlikly ur rocket would make it to a human settlement or ship on what little fuel and supplys ud most likly have. b. the only realistic way for a part 2 or more story after ur escape would be some other planet. my ideas for such things were not based around another purely water planet but rather 1 similiar to say a mars but with more earth like qualitys or about half say more land then water but deeper waters then subnautica with strange and some more violent creature on land and in water deeper water still leave a possibility of big horrifying creatures dark caves ect. but the massivly increased land then subnautica gives a chance for new and more land creatures even some giant in size with some having genetic advantages say camo or others and it gives a chance for new fragments and equipment alot even maybe being alien. along with alien structers even maybe a deserted alien city. or a oldish damaged alien city with now primative agressive versions of a precurser civalization that was cut off after what happebd on subnautica those 1000 years ago say maybe they survived living off local species but reverted to almost caveman like intellegents and agression. theres tons of possibilitys but agian most requier another planet or a ship half the size of a death star at least so you see why it gets irritating for the same argument about some people not wanting another planet for either a part 2 or more story after ur escape were do people expext iether of those to take place then.
    ive just come to realise that people are just knocking ideas for the sake of just wanting people to get upset or just to argue or hate on idea im not saying everyone but ive literaly heard this exact same argument over another planet in my idea for a part 2 so agian were do people expect to take place i mean only 1 person who criticized at least had there own idea they suggested alterra sends u back to 4546b to salvage the alien tech to have for them selves witch does make sence theyd try that they seem the type but were r others ideas then if they wanna throw the same argument around then ok prove ur not just criticizing to knock peoples idea cause u just wanna hate on them give me ur ideas then id love to hear them at least have ideas if ur gonna criticize someone elses i mean u dont want a planet then ok suggest a ship in space u stumble upon or some cause the way it seems is these people dont want a 2 or more game play not that they have a genuine idea of thier own. so just cause they dont want it they criticize instead of giving or having an idea.
    There are stargates that were used to get the Aurora to the planet. Multiple stargates so chances are the rocket will make it
    edited March 2017
    look in all honesty im standing by my ideas and those of what others had that i thought were good cause to be honest and not tryin to be mean to anyone on forums but someone is always gonna knock down or bash ur ideas weather its 1 or several so from now on regardless i stand by my ideas and the ideas of anyone else actualy giving ideas or creative add ons.

It's basic theorycrafting. Don't just stand by your idea, defend it! Give reasons for it to exist! Get passionate, think more, explain WHY you think the game will be better with your idea in place!

And if I propose an idea on a public forum then by all means, pick at it! Debate the merits! Go back and forth, offer ideas to make it better. That's what these threads are for!

So the reason I was poking at your idea is because, well... Let's say that someone on the dev team decided to do this. This would be time, money, and manpower spent designing this section of the game that, in my mind, would be time, money, and manpower that COULD have been spent implementing a new biome and new creatures into the base game.

And I, personally, speaking for myself and nobody else, would rather the devs put more effort into making the singular base water world we're on a better world than adding a Part 2 after you take off in the rocket. The rocket, IMO, is the endpiece. The ultimate sign of triumph. You beating the odds, and getting back to civilization through your own efforts. And if you want something else to do or explore in the game, it would probably make more sense to put that section before the ending.

Now going to other planets might be a spin-off or something, or grounds for a sequel (though my idea of a sequel for Subnautica would be a survey team going to investigate the planet on a larger scale, thus justifying other larger biomes, new tools, and possibly the presence of Multiplayer/Coop) but as a tacked-on part of the base game? It doesn't quite 'feel' right to me.

Edit:
    i mean only 1 person who criticized at least had there own idea they suggested alterra sends u back to 4546b to salvage the alien tech to have for them selves witch does make sence theyd try that they seem the type

... I think that was me who said that.

It's basic theorycrafting. Don't just stand by your idea, defend it! Give reasons for it to exist! Get passionate, think more, explain WHY you think the game will be better with your idea in place!

And if I propose an idea on a public forum then by all means, pick at it! Debate the merits! Go back and forth, offer ideas to make it better. That's what these threads are for!

So the reason I was poking at your idea is because, well... Let's say that someone on the dev team decided to do this. This would be time, money, and manpower spent designing this section of the game that, in my mind, would be time, money, and manpower that COULD have been spent implementing a new biome and new creatures into the base game.

And I, personally, speaking for myself and nobody else, would rather the devs put more effort into making the singular base water world we're on a better world than adding a Part 2 after you take off in the rocket. The rocket, IMO, is the endpiece. The ultimate sign of triumph. You beating the odds, and getting back to civilization through your own efforts. And if you want something else to do or explore in the game, it would probably make more sense to put that section before the ending.

Now going to other planets might be a spin-off or something, or grounds for a sequel (though my idea of a sequel for Subnautica would be a survey team going to investigate the planet on a larger scale, thus justifying other larger biomes, new tools, and possibly the presence of Multiplayer/Coop) but as a tacked-on part of the base game? It doesn't quite 'feel' right to me.

Edit:
    i mean only 1 person who criticized at least had there own idea they suggested alterra sends u back to 4546b to salvage the alien tech to have for them selves witch does make sence theyd try that they seem the type

... I think that was me who said that.

see now this is better u give ur own ideas not just an empty criticize ur putting something behind it and u wernt targetted specificaly so many other criticize but dont bother having real reason or thier own ideas to throw into it.
    see thats what i want real idea or feedback not empty attacks on ideas from people who cant or dont have any ideas or suggestions of thier own n see that ideas a good 1 like ur other to go back because of alterra or for a large scale investigation idea or feedback or criticize with purpose behind it not empty attacks witch happens to alot of people who have the courage to post thier idea.
    Dude, nobody's attacked you.

THIS is an attack: "This idea is stupid and you are stupid for thinking of it"

This is NOT an attack: "I don't think that this idea fits with the theme of the game"

One is an expression of opinion, the other is deliberately designed to be unhelpful and insulting. So things like my comment of "I would personally rather see the developers make one well-crafted planet than multiple planets that less effort was put into" are not, in fact, meant as attacks, they're meant as expressions of disagreement, sure, but they're not 'attacks'. Someone disagreeing with you is not an attack.
    @fallennight1986 Maybe you are reacting a bit too sensitive on our feedback. If you put your ideas out you have to get along with feedback even if it does not support your idea. If you don't want us to give feedback, then why put up your idea in the first place? And please don't use that "If you have no better idea then mine is ok and you should not dicuss it or comment on it." - argument. YOU put your idea up to show it...so please accept that it is your idea we are talking/writing about.

My two points against your idea for a 2nd planet as a DLC where imo very valid points, that you so far did not pick up.

First point
    A whole new planet would be way too much work for just a DLC to "extend" the game. You'd have to make a whole new game for this. My idea or suggestion would be to put this idea up again for a part 2.
    Now comes a point just based on my personal taste: I would rather like to see the old planet again in a second part or another one with mostly water on it, because SN is a underwarter survival game and if they would try to add a way bigger land/island part with land creatures and so on it would (at least for me) loose a big part of its uniqueness and charm.
    We already have a great number of land based survival games and some of them even feature underwater creatures and loot and caves and resources and so on. Subnautica is better then all of them imo when it comes to the underwater part but the "on land" or mabye even "in the air" part is not a big strenght of the game. That is another reason why I see a new planet with way more land mass as a bad thing.

Second point
    You mentioned that the 2nd planet could also be Carar infested. To that I said, that you would have to have some very good reasons how that could have happend because afaik no Precursor made it off the planet. That is why they build their huge alien space gun that shoots down each spaceship that comes too close to or tries to escape the planet. Since we seem to be the first living thing that escapes the planet for over 1.000 years, we could only have carried the Carar on our ship off the planet in something else then ourselfes. Because the player has to be free from the infection to get off the planet. But then again, untill that point we also have a cure right? (Don't know exactly how the cure works cause I have not played so far yet to be honest). So even if we somehow manage to carry the bacteria off the planet we should be able to cure it IF we infect something else.

I gave you credit for the living Precursor idea and I see that as a really good extension of the existing gameplay. Maybe pick up that idea intstead and flesh it out a bit? That would fit good into what we already have and would be a nice alternative ending maybe or the prelude to the next game maybe?

I don't write all this text just to bash your ideas...I do this as a try to improve them or show things that I see as rather bad for the game form my point of view. If you can't stand that we don't pad your back for every idea you write here instead of beeing honest about them, then maybe don't put em up here? This is a forum after all not just a virtual wall where you write things and just let them stand there. If you want no direct feedback maybe write just an E-mail to the devs?

well i do have to point out people well most post for the devs to see to give them ideas or suggestions not really for others to judge maybe to encourage others to give ideas as well but its all for the devs so they can see our ideas
    other wise how else r we supose to communicate with them i for 1 dont have thier emails or anything nor a youtube channel the can see my ideas on
    @fallennight1986 Maybe you are reacting a bit too sensitive on our feedback. If you put your ideas out you have to get along with feedback even if it does not support your idea. If you don't want us to give feedback, then why put up your idea in the first place? And please don't use that "If you have no better idea then mine is ok and you should not dicuss it or comment on it." - argument. YOU put your idea up to show it...so please accept that it is your idea we are talking/writing about.

My two points against your idea for a 2nd planet as a DLC where imo very valid points, that you so far did not pick up.

First point
    A whole new planet would be way too much work for just a DLC to "extend" the game. You'd have to make a whole new game for this. My idea or suggestion would be to put this idea up again for a part 2.
    Now comes a point just based on my personal taste: I would rather like to see the old planet again in a second part or another one with mostly water on it, because SN is a underwarter survival game and if they would try to add a way bigger land/island part with land creatures and so on it would (at least for me) loose a big part of its uniqueness and charm.
    We already have a great number of land based survival games and some of them even feature underwater creatures and loot and caves and resources and so on. Subnautica is better then all of them imo when it comes to the underwater part but the "on land" or mabye even "in the air" part is not a big strenght of the game. That is another reason why I see a new planet with way more land mass as a bad thing.

Second point
    You mentioned that the 2nd planet could also be Carar infested. To that I said, that you would have to have some very good reasons how that could have happend because afaik no Precursor made it off the planet. That is why they build their huge alien space gun that shoots down each spaceship that comes too close to or tries to escape the planet. Since we seem to be the first living thing that escapes the planet for over 1.000 years, we could only have carried the Carar on our ship off the planet in something else then ourselfes. Because the player has to be free from the infection to get off the planet. But then again, untill that point we also have a cure right? (Don't know exactly how the cure works cause I have not played so far yet to be honest). So even if we somehow manage to carry the bacteria off the planet we should be able to cure it IF we infect something else.

I gave you credit for the living Precursor idea and I see that as a really good extension of the existing gameplay. Maybe pick up that idea intstead and flesh it out a bit? That would fit good into what we already have and would be a nice alternative ending maybe or the prelude to the next game maybe?

I don't write all this text just to bash your ideas...I do this as a try to improve them or show things that I see as rather bad for the game form my point of view. If you can't stand that we don't pad your back for every idea you write here instead of beeing honest about them, then maybe don't put em up here? This is a forum after all not just a virtual wall where you write things and just let them stand there. If you want no direct feedback maybe write just an E-mail to the devs?

i already put it up first before this post was made as a part 2 idea but people didnt like the thought of another planet 1 but gave no suggestions of thier own
    Dude, nobody's attacked you.

THIS is an attack: "This idea is stupid and you are stupid for thinking of it"

This is NOT an attack: "I don't think that this idea fits with the theme of the game"

One is an expression of opinion, the other is deliberately designed to be unhelpful and insulting. So things like my comment of "I would personally rather see the developers make one well-crafted planet than multiple planets that less effort was put into" are not, in fact, meant as attacks, they're meant as expressions of disagreement, sure, but they're not 'attacks'. Someone disagreeing with you is not an attack.

didnt say u did i generalized didnt say u or say ur name when i had posted it as a part 2 idea i was insulted "dude that dumb y another planet its a waste of time"
    edited March 2017
    i already put it up first before this post was made as a part 2 idea but people didnt like the thought of another planet 1 but gave no suggestions of thier own

Alright, here's some 'gameplay extension' alternatives to your idea of another planet:
    • Make this planet larger. Extend the borders, put in more biomes, maybe use those potential warpgates to go to that Arctic Biome that the devs seem to want to put in somehow.
    • Add deeper caves that lead to unique environments.
    • Add maybe a meteor impact zone in the Dunes that has new upgrades or story goodies.

But if you post an idea, and someone gives their opinion on your idea, an acceptable response is not, in fact, "Well I don't see YOU coming up with anything better"

Dude, nobody's going to coddle your ideas. They're going to give feedback. Put on your Big Kid pants and accept it, or don't post these online at all if you don't want people to give their opinions.