Not Enough Patches

awesomeguy101awesomeguy101 Join Date: 2016-06-21 Member: 218886Members
With Subnautica an update is released, we enjoy the content and wit for the next update. What we (almost) never get is an occasional bug fix in-between updates. There have been some bugs that need to be fixed and features that can be improved now. The new HUD is almost done for example. It could be added in a patch. New features can be added in-between big updates but they never are. I think Subnautica needs more patches in-between updates.

Comments

• NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    @awesomeguy101 Its a early access game, its not really worth their time at the moment to release smaller patches.
  • NorrinRaddNorrinRadd Deutschland Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223811Members
    With Subnautica an update is released, we enjoy the content and wit for the next update. What we (almost) never get is an occasional bug fix in-between updates. There have been some bugs that need to be fixed and features that can be improved now. The new HUD is almost done for example. It could be added in a patch. New features can be added in-between big updates but they never are. I think Subnautica needs more patches in-between updates.

Agree!
    I mean not really big patches.
    But minipatches for obvious bugs that strongly influence the game but do not need so many changes.

For Example after the last update:
    - Seamoth depthupgrade doesnt save the status. after loading a game depth is at 200m. You must plug out and plug in. then the upgrade works.
    - After some playing time the center position of the camera shifts in the World.
    The position of the mouse pointer is no longer correct and you can not use anything.

These are Bugs which mostly only depend on one algorithm or function.
    Therefore, little has to be changed in the code and the updates would be manageable.

LG
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Then people would be complaining about bugs even more.

This is the nature of early access. Assets are apparently "complete," even though they've just been finished. They need testing and balancing to ensure they're not going to break even more stuff when they're put in. From the standpoint of development, it makes more sense to put together a bunch of resources, ensure they work, then send them out in one big push rather than five hundred little pushes.

Post-release, little patches to squash bugs make sense. But in early access, this is still part of the development process.

If you want more updates at the possible expense of a greater quantity and severity of bugs, then switch to experimental build mode.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • awesomeguy101awesomeguy101 Join Date: 2016-06-21 Member: 218886Members
    Then people would be complaining about bugs even more.

This is the nature of early access. Assets are apparently "complete," even though they've just been finished. They need testing and balancing to ensure they're not going to break even more stuff when they're put in. From the standpoint of development, it makes more sense to put together a bunch of resources, ensure they work, then send them out in one big push rather than five hundred little pushes.

Post-release, little patches to squash bugs make sense. But in early access, this is still part of the development process.

If you want more updates at the possible expense of a greater quantity and severity of bugs, then switch to experimental build mode.

When I say patches I mean small bug fixes and minor features. I know Subnautica is early access which is one of the cool thing about it. I just would like it if they could release small bug fixes before every major update fixing the problems with the current update before another update is pumped out.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members

LOL. ROFLMAO. The game is already being updated once a month. ONCE A MONTH is insanely often. If you are complaining it isn't patched often enough, then either go play experimental.
  • awesomeguy101awesomeguy101 Join Date: 2016-06-21 Member: 218886Members
    garath wrote: »

LOL. ROFLMAO. The game is already being updated once a month. ONCE A MONTH is insanely often. If you are complaining it isn't patched often enough, then either go play experimental.

They release BIG UPDATES once a month. They DONT release small bug fixes every so often. The bugs of the previous update are taken care of a month later with the next big update, but that update has bugs. I would like it if they could fix more bugs before the next update.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2017
    It seems you don't fully understand what goes into releasing a patch... I hope you realize how much work goes into actually releasing a patch, one that is stable enough for public consumption. If they had to do this "final release playtest" on a weekly release schedule, that would unnecessarily add more work to their workload, with more playtesting, which is damn time consuming in itself.

The big patches as you call them are the quickest and most efficient iteration, especially if you compare it to most other game design studios in terms of frequency. Also as many have suggested, if your want super quick daily patching, experimental is you thing. But that comes without that time consuming quality control -> which is quite buggy, as expected...
  • SP_KennySP_Kenny Southpark Join Date: 2017-01-22 Member: 227115Members
    It is hard too please people - on the flip side there is ARK where some times they might release 2+ patches in a day or patch every other day - people gripe that they are getting updates every time the launch steam and have to wait before they can play. I was running a private server for fam. and friends and would update the server only to see there was another one 5 min after I just updated the server. I always did it manually to insure it was good to go

So 1 update a month is not too bad as long as they don't leave it in a completely broken state for to long
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Honestly, my belief is that the frequency of patches is too high and it likely slows development. Also note that every patch is a chance for bugs to appear.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited March 2017
    Patience my young Sub-na-ti-wan, someday soon v1.0 will be here, and then you'll probably have Several Other Things to pizz & moan about.

And updates will most likely come much less than Once A Month...

That'll really put a crimp in yer knickers.
    B)