Coop or multiplayer in Subnautica? I'm afraid not.

Comments

• KrayZSamuraiKrayZSamurai Canada Join Date: 2017-02-16 Member: 227975Members
    As much as I am disappointed that there won't be multiplayer in this game, I think that's a good thing.

This game is revolving around survival and adventure. It's also revolving around solving the mystery of the planet in which you're surviving on. You are (unless there's something I've missed in the game cuz I didn't get that far) the only survivor of the Aurora, to have multiplayer would kinda ruin that aspect.

Also, if you had co-op/multiplayer, it would make the game way too easy! Supplies would be easier to get as you can split jobs and find lifepods and find fragments while finding lifepods while another searches the Aurora and finds other fragments. That ruins the survival aspect of the game.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Apparently a certain player on Xbox thinks they know waaay more about the game than the Dev's do...

https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/148445/subnautica-multiplier-confirmed#latest

Perhaps he's from the future...

< eye-roll >
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    It's possible, in theory, the devs release a multiplayer version of Subnautica if the original game sells well enough. I mean, look at the game Don't Starve. The coop version came only some time after the original. But, I'm just speculating.
  • GlassDeviantGlassDeviant Terra Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228342Members
    It would be nice to have enough people to fully utilize the Cyclops, even if it can be piloted by a lone individual. Plenty of other MP things would be nice, like co-op base building, assigning tasks to other players (X gathers quartz, Y gathers silver [my big pain to find resource], Z gathers massive quantities of titanium). However, compared to finishing the single-player game, getting as many bugs squashed as possible, eliminating lag and getting the game out of Early Access and released all put together will take much less time than going MP so it's definitely a back-burner/DLC/sequel item.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited March 2017
    I'm kind of afraid at this point, if they make a multiplayer Subnautica 2 or whatever, that people will just grab their pitchforks again, and scream that they're being ripped off as they were promised multiplayer in Subnautica and the devs are thieves waa waa waa (as if by making a big enough fool of themselves, they'll get what they want, like the way they do at McDonald's: raise a big enough stink, and the mangers pay you your hush money so you don't disturb other patrons).
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    I'm kind of afraid at this point, if they make a multiplayer Subnautica 2 or whatever, that people will just grab their pitchforks again, and scream that they're being ripped off as they were promised multiplayer in Subnautica and the devs are thieves waa waa waa (as if by making a big enough fool of themselves, they'll get what they want, like the way they do at McDonald's: raise a big enough stink, and the mangers pay you your hush money so you don't disturb other patrons).

The devs can do as Don't Starve did. Subnautica: Coop edition. Another version of the same game, launched at a later date.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Casual if that were to happen it would take years. Because to add mutliplayer to subnautica thy had to recode the game from scratch!
    So, let them take years. Insisting on a multiplayer version with the current code, if released, will only end in tears. I'm not in a hurry.
    edited March 2017
    I still don't get how folks can believe that a purposely created SOLE SURVIVOR GAME, can become anything but what it is...

A FIRST PERSON, SINGLE PLAYER GAME.

If ya add Multiplayer/Co-Op, it ain't the same game anymore.

If one can't get that through ones head, then SUBNAUTICA is NOT the game for you...

Go play "DON'T STARVE" !!

smh
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    I still don't get how folks can believe that a purposely created SOLE SURVIVOR GAME, can become anything but what it is...

If one can't get that through ones head, then SUBNAUTICA is NOT the game for you...

smh

Yes, we heard you the first time. You, however, remember when the devs said Subnautica started with coop in mind, thing that changed drammaticaly during the development to single-player only. I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing: it just happened.

What I'm trying to say, mr., is:

IF the devs consider multiplayer now, it will be postponed to another launch, similar to Don't Starve. If that happens.

IF
  • NolrovosNolrovos Join Date: 2017-03-04 Member: 228569Members
    edited March 2017
    Two of the main reasons I bought this game: Underwater exploration. I had never seen a game like it, as far as I'm concerned, it is the first and only "sandbox" style game to ever take place in an ocean, let alone an alien ocean. And second, Devs, or at least I think it was the devs, were really hyping up the future multiplayer. Don't get me wrong I don't regret getting it, however the whole "multiplayer" goal at the time, and the possibility of playing it with my sister and boyfriend is what really sold me on it. Now it's been canned and it's really pretty upsetting, as now I feel as if I don't really have anything left to look forwards to in it. I don't even bother building bases or using decorative items, cause what's the point? Outside of building something small to farm fish and use a moonpool.

It gets pretty boring honestly. Right now as it stands it's become the same thing over and over. Collect some stuff, build objects to scan objects, so you can collect more stuff to build newly scanned objects, so you can explore deeper to collect and scan even more objects. By the time I build the cyclops and screw around a bit, it's time to start over. Even starting new has become a frustrating chore, because the "safe shallows" isn't even safe anymore. Why is it filled with sandsharks?

I also find it humorous how all these people have been saying, "multiplayer will ruin the game and immersion for all us single players!" How so? Please explain. Multiplayer doesn't automatically mean MMO. Does don't starve together ruin it for single players? Does running a minecraft server or lan party interfere with single players? Point being is that it's completely possible for a game to have single and co op options. Considering the fact that most games do.

I'm just really hoping above all, that if it's going to remain single player, that I have alot more to look forwards to. If all that's left to be implemented is the emperor and spine eel, I'm going to be pretty sad. I don't have much bad to say about the game itself, it's far from shit, it was worth the money. It could have been worse, and ended up like no mans sky. Though if they are going to implement multiplayer as a separate "DLC" or game, which I hope they do, I think it would be super cool if
    It could take place 1000 years prior. When the precursors first landed, before this virus supposedly wiped over half the planet.
    Added spoiler because not everyone reads the wiki.

More or less, sadly I agree. Now the game is quite the thriller for me (I made a forum post about how it's done some hella good for me) but the long run was in all honesty, what I was aiming for. Worth the money for me definitely, but I can't say I'll go around recommending this game now.

It's definitely fine, and I use that word strictly, but it's replay-ability is low. Some people tried to compare this game to Skyrim, hahaha. Well, it's most certainly not. In Skyrim I've only done a fraction of what the game has to offer, and that's not including mods, and I'm scoring hundreds of hours. To be fair, the game does cost more, making it even more different. In Subnautica however, the only thing I'm missing is the PRAWN and Cyclops, and I have 45 hours into the game. The only reason I don't have them yet is because I'm taking my time - a lot of my time, sitting there thinking about how I could make my base more efficient.

But I'm basically the best I'm going to be concerning that. The biggest thing this game has done is help me overcome my fears, to which not everyone shares. (or the joy in facing them head on) It's a beautiful thing. From the current stuff they're going to add it isn't going to anywhere near match my expectations. Co-op would've added double my hours at least. I suppose I got my money's worth... I just wished it would have gone further. Been the game I would stick with for a long time.

Thanks for the game anyways, Unknown Worlds, this changes nothing I've said in my previous post. I still love this game, and I'll look back thinking how great it was, even if I so dearly wished it would've lasted longer. Because although it is merely my opinion, for me, they would have to add a few times the content they currently have to make up for multiplayer. I can't see them realistically adding that much more based on past, present, and what they've mentioned about future patches concerning content.
    edited March 2017

smh

Yes, we heard you the first time. You, however, remember when the devs said Subnautica started with coop in mind, thing that changed drammaticaly during the development to single-player only. I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing: it just happened.

IF the devs consider multiplayer now, it will be postponed to another launch, similar to Don't Starve. If that happens.

IF

And that's the rub, there is no IF.

They said NO, PERIOD

SO, going on and on about IF, is rather counter productive and does nothing but continue the Whining in a dead topic.
    B)
    edited March 2017

smh

IF

And that's the rub, there is no IF.

They said NO, PERIOD

SO, going on and on about IF, is rather counter productive and does nothing but continue the Whining in a dead topic.
    B)

Yes, because someone speaking of a possibility is anathema. Possibilities can happen or not. Speaking about the possibility of multiplayer is wrong because someone who's not even one of the devs and apparently knows the future doesn't like it.

Possibilities aren't certainties. They are probabilities of something that can or cannot happen. Someone discussing this possibility isn't contradicting what is the official say of the devs. Discussing an "if" scenario doesn't imply there will be a multiplayer version of the game.

Yes, the devs said "no multiplayer". That's why the "if". If happens, however unlikely (no multiplayer) it would happen as a future release. "However unlikely" because that's a possibility, no matter what you think of it. I don't know the future, that's why I said "IF". I'm not insisting on multiplayer. Never will. I simply said what would be the most probable way for a multiplayer version of Subnautica. If there's one.

IF.

WHINE

No. You are doing that job good enough for the both of ia. Except I never did that, as what I've written can attest.

You may continue with your whinning and temper tantrum now. I allow you.

B)
    edited March 2017
    WHINE

No. You are doing that job good enough for the both of ia. Except I never did that, as what I've written can attest.

B)

Every time somebody posts in what is essentially a Dead Thread, about a topic that has already been stated by the Game Developers on multiple occasions, without question, is NOT going to happen, is just whining.

You can continue on now with the whining about unrealistic expectations, I'll not interrupt the bellyaching again.

Have a lovely day.
    B)
    WHINE

B)

Every time somebody posts in what is essentially a Dead Thread about a topic that has already been stated by the Game Developers on multiple occasions without question, is NOT going to happen, is just whining.

You can continue on now with the whining about unrealistic expectations, I'll not interrupt the bellyaching again.

Have a lovely day.
    B)

Oh I hit a nerve there! Must be because finally you realised you were arguing because you didn't even understand what I was saying. My belly is fine, thank you. I can't say the same of your reasoning or reading comprehension though. If this is a dead thread, why are you spending time here? That's a good question.

Have a nice day too

B)

• jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    People are stilling posting here. Wow. I would like multiplayer like a lot of people. But I can see that it would take forever. So I would rather wait and see if the devs will make a 2nd game then delaying the 1st. It's just better. Also I can see a lot of people like thinking problems can mod multiplayer. It isn't easy. There is no magic wand that will make multiplayer appear. So stop being butt hurt.
  • RyanCRRyanCR Join Date: 2017-03-06 Member: 228657Members
    I'm Dissapointed.... :( But Hey the Game is not Bad :D
  • RyanCRRyanCR Join Date: 2017-03-06 Member: 228657Members
    But still needs Creative Multiplayer at least....
    ಠ_ಠ ^ above comment. Also why does it say this is closed when it isn't
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    edited March 2017
    @jamintheinfinite_1 That's because you see it from the Ideas & Suggestion place. It says closed because Foxy jumbled with it a bit to make it show in the Ideas & Suggestions. But it's not closed in the General Discussion.
  • SlimestormSlimestorm Join Date: 2017-03-16 Member: 228989Members
    you add multiplayer or i and i die along with all of the players that came saying "i can't wait till multiplayer comes out!" just a not so friendly warning.
    edited March 2017
    Slimestorm wrote: »
    you add multiplayer or i and i die along with all of the players that came saying "i can't wait till multiplayer comes out!" just a not so friendly warning.

I hope you've got your last will & testament up to date then.

Personally, I'd ask for a burial at sea, since apparently this game means so much more to you than your existence.

Oh, also...
    The Dev's are on vacation in Florida this week, so I'd hold of on your plans of self-demise till they get back.

smh
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    Slimestorm wrote: »

I want to know who exactly came subnautica for multiplayer. I highly doubt these people have been with development since the beginning. I can somewhat understand if people thought multiplayer would be added through user tags, but that's only one source.

I just don't get it... :(
  • skipster777skipster777 Nj Join Date: 2017-03-17 Member: 229011Members
    I only really exclusively play games for online multiplayer. I never play the campaigns except for this one. How the hell would online multiplayer work?? You'd need the same people on every time to continue progress. It just seems less enjoyable than if you were actually surviving by yourself than having people do work for you. Maybe their can be some crazy survival mode with limited resources and last one to survive wins?
  • KostriktorKostriktor Switzerland Join Date: 2017-01-08 Member: 226342Members
    edited March 2017
    Guys try to understand. once this early access is out, they can start to work on the real subnautica (subnautica2). which will obviously (welcome to the 3rd millennium) future multiplayer, no lags, high fps and as its usual for UW; gorgeous graphics and intense story.
    edited March 2017
    Kostriktor wrote: »
    Guys try to understand. once this early access is out, they can start to work on the real subnautica (subnautica2). which will obviously (welcome to the 3rd millennium) future multiplayer, no lags, high fps and as its usual for UW; gorgeous graphics and intense story.

You forgot the...

/sarcasm

B)

Is it possible @foxy can lock this for ideas and suggestions also. So people can stop saying add multiplayer or I else I stop playing subnautica in the comment section. Because people are dumb and still think coding is simple as flipping a switch.
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is it possible @foxy can lock this for ideas and suggestions also. So people can stop saying add multiplayer or I else I stop playing subnautica in the comment section. Because people are dumb and still think coding is simple as flipping a switch.

I agree but would defer to @Obraxis for judgement. If he gives the nod I can take a few minutes and split out the replies to the thread and leave just Charlie's post in here and lock it to further replies ensuring people will always see the actual message when reading this thread and not the #latest posts.