Tremulous/NS/Gloom

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    @RevanCorana

It's not the same, but it's quite similar: Tremulous (Open-source, completely free, and I suspect NS2 may have been inspired by it)
    Install v1.1, then GPP (v1.2), and then unzip the SVN backport to the Tremulous folder (\Program Files (x86)\Tremulous\ by default, and the downoad's in the box at the right on that page)

This will give you v1.1, modified to be able to accept the newer maps & some patches, as well as the v1.2 (a bit different gameplay)

It's pretty cool, check it out!

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2017
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    (Open-source, completely free, and I suspect NS2 may have been inspired by it)
    [/spoiler]

NS, the game before NS2, predates tremulous by a few years.

@MicroMacXPX, I hope you continue playing the game. I think many here would be interested in a brief addition and or revision of your thoughts in 6 months, or a year if you don't play much.

edited February 2017
    Nordic wrote: »
    [/spoiler]

@MicroMacXPX, I hope you continue playing the game. I think many here would be interested in a brief addition and or revision of your thoughts in 6 months, or a year if you don't play much.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_Selection_(video_game)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremulous#Development

Hmm. Interesting. I wonder if they were both based on Gloom?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have heard NS was inspired by gloom in some ways. I am not an old NS player. Others might be able to say more.
  • G_of_the_JG_of_the_J Join Date: 2013-08-12 Member: 186764Members
    edited February 2017
    OFFTOPIC

Gloom public beta came late -98. Played it from the start. Sadly it died around 2010.

It was developed by Team Reaction.
    http://www.quakewiki.net/archives/teamreaction/about.shtml
    http://www.quakewiki.net/archives/teamreaction/gloom/news.htm
    http://mankovic.tripod.com/news.html
    Nov 15, 1998---Tonight, the much anticipated Public Beta version of Gloom is to be released at 6pm during the IRC release party. So get there early and grab you a seat..join "irc.3dnet.net" channel #gloom....see you there..:)

There is much of similarities. Like breeder - Gorge
    breeder.jpg
    176px-Gorge_Render_01.jpg

Drone - Fade
    drone.jpg
    111px-NS2-Closed-Beta-Fade_render.jpg

Mech - Exo
    Mechg.jpg
    Exo_spawn.gif

And other stuff, but gameplay was very different compared to ns.

/OFFTOPIC
    edited February 2017
    I see the similarity between mech and exo, but in NS1 they had heavies instead of exo's. Heavies were more like the lategame humans/marines in tremulous if I understand it correctly.

Tremulous also has lifeforms with similar roles as the skulk, gorge, and onos. Somewhat with the fade, but I think the comparison is less valid. I have limited experience with tremulous or NS1, and I have never played gloom.
    edited February 2017
    Sorry about that.

@Foxy - does your magic extend to the NS2 forums, if so, can you split my derail out, pretty please?
    EDIT: @Kouji_San You have magical powers too? I noticed you closed a thread in the Subnautica forums, I guess I'm blind as I hadn't noticed that before. Whichever of you sees this first between you and Foxy, please fix my transgressions. xD
    What more is there to say? He left great feedback. There is not much to respond to about it. Conversation veered. I too want to grab the attention of @Foxy
    Thank you for seperating this @Foxy. If anyone else wants to thank foxy, just quote my post. Each quote will ping foxy again.
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    Thank you for seperating this @Foxy.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2017
    [/spoiler]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_Selection_(video_game)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremulous#Development

Hmm. Interesting. I wonder if they were both based on Gloom?

Tremulous development may have "begun" before Natural Selection, but Natural Selection was actually released on Halloween 2002, where as Tremulous wasn't officially released a full three years later. Both were heavily inspired by Gloom and the NS aliens were initially supposed to be designed as organs in a body defending against foreign bodies (marines). Good thing that was abandoned, cause now we have the iconic Skulk, Gorge, Lerk, Fade and Space Cow :tongue:

During NS2 development, I've noticed a lot of inspiration taken from NS:Combat taken into the NS:classic gameplay. NS2 is a bit of a hybrid of those two game modes. I can see why people think NS2 is inspired by Tremulous, but trust me that is just superficial as Tremulous and Combat share a lot of similarities. If anything, it would be more logical to say that NS:Combat was inspired by Tremulous, which is also not true :)

UWE/NS/NS2 history video I made a while back up to NS2 release
    Sorry about that.

@Foxy - does your magic extend to the NS2 forums, if so, can you split my derail out, pretty please?
    EDIT: @Kouji_San You have magical powers too? I noticed you closed a thread in the Subnautica forums, I guess I'm blind as I hadn't noticed that before. Whichever of you sees this first between you and Foxy, please fix my transgressions. xD

Retired o/ Also what seems to be the problem, I see no infraction yo... got fixed already hmm...
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I'm evolving to liver
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    2cough wrote: »
    I'm evolving to liver

Don't go to Onos Bar, not good for yer liver
    edited February 2017
    Thank you for seperating this @Foxy. If anyone else wants to thank foxy, just quote my post. Each quote will ping foxy again.

Also, @Kouji_San
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    2cough wrote: »
    I'm evolving to liver

Don't go to Onos Bar, not good for yer liver

So, should we ping you if we feel Foxy is getting overworked?
    Retired forum Admin, I mostly used a flamethrower tank for disputes... Mostly
    @0x6A7232 You don't know this, but @Foxy is never overworked. We need to ping him often, especially on discord. It makes him feel loved.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

@Foxy notice me senpai

(Am I doing this right?)
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Foxy I've been meaning to tell you something very personal for awhile.
    i liek poop
    There, I said it!
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2017
    There's a quote from Charlie somewhere where he mentions gloom as an inspiration for NS, but one of many..

I also believe If I remember correctly, that development of NS began around 2000. There was a story somewhere talking about the early days of development and LAN testing etc.

Really wish I could find it again, it was very informative.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited February 2017
    At least appearance-wise:
    Skulk = Zergling, Lerk = Mutalisk, Fade = Hydralisk, Onos = Ultralisk

and ofc, Gorge is special ;)
  • SteelcapSteelcap Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75049Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Community Developer
    I miss Gloom so much.

I must have played a solid 3-4 hours a day for like 2 years.
    Steelcap wrote: »
    I must have played a solid 3-4 hours a day for like 2 years.
    Rookie. When I started NS2 I played 4-8 hours a day for like 2 years. :tongue:
    edited February 2017
    I'll just leave this here

• BloodyIronBloodyIron Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Gloom was so incredibly fast paced! What a classic. Last time I saw R1Ch was TeamLiquid stuff.
  • ZdrytchXZdrytchX Australia Join Date: 2016-02-06 Member: 212662Members
    edited March 2017
    ZdrytchX wrote: »

Very interesting stuff, thanks for that nostalgia throwback :D

And I like your video, haven't seen it before!

Why is there an Onos in your vent :D
  • ZdrytchXZdrytchX Australia Join Date: 2016-02-06 Member: 212662Members
    edited March 2017
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Why is there an Onos in your vent :D
    don't ask me, ask UWE and/or the mapper. I liked the map but don't remmeber what it was called or who made it

The funny ting is that because his "camera" is outside of the vent, he hits the vent walls and not me which is why i die to the gorge and didnt take damage from the onos

Also turns out the spy kids thing is wrong, i googled it and google says 2003. I thought it was released in 2008-ish because that's when i watched it
    A single player campaign would definitely be a nice thing to have for newer players

Tremulous community has attempted to do this several times. The results are so-called "misison maps" where players have to complete objectives or simply run through with basic physics puzzles.

Examples:
    Blackout Beta 1, requires an Advanced Map Package for advanced entities that allows players to use handles and pick up weapons, similar to how NS2 has classic entities mod but in this mode humans need to access and destroy four different elements of the map to "nuke" it while aliens try to stop them and simply wipe them out:

Although it does say unvanquished on the video, the clan/group was just hosting the mod and didn't necessarily create the map or advanced map package (afaik). Funny enough that same group is now developing a separate standalone game running on a different engine that uses similar gamelogic code, called Unvanquished

Mission One Beta 7, where both teams have to go through a physics course. This special scene is actually exploiting a hazardous map entity bug where it can only damage one thing at a time:

Hard Landing, aliens' goal is to interfere with human progress to the ending and even more likely, wipe them out from the map. In the end, there is a last 20 minute camp while a refuelling a ship, then entering the ship safely so that was excluded from the video. I'm running the GPP-1.1 Arena Fusion mod (which I created) in the video so it isn't 'true' Tremulous:

Other non-mission maps can still sort of be called mission maps such as this one, which is called
    ztremship (beta 3). The 'z' in front stands for the zombie mod variant but for some reason it was played on a pvp server.

I think if I convert the above map and use the classical entities mod, it would make a GREAT defence map
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    I'd rather see Sentries buffed a bit than being so under-used as the are.
    I hate to derail this thread, like the other one that turned out to be all about tremulous/unvanquished. But when I briefly played those games, sentries were a huge part of the game it seems. And it sucked, at least to me. Sentries really suck the fun out of this game imo. It becomes a game of PvE, instead of PvP. Whips is in a different category entirely, because they are basically melee only and relatively easy to deal with as a result.
    Turrets in tremulous actually have a shorter range than you think. So short that it actually takes skill to build a decent base in tremulous because a technique called "hopping the reactor" where you litereally just jump on the reactor and stay either outside of the turret's range of in a way where your center of mass is blocked by the corners of the hitbox of the reactor itself.

Hopping the RC does not happen that often since it is often impractical especially in large games, but in small games it can mean destroying the ENTIRE enemy base in under 15 seconds if the enemy built in such a way..
    Even if the reactor can zap aliens, its range is rediculously short and deals minimal damage at the edge of its range.

Example: