Any way to scroll the list of items in the Scanner Room?

garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
When I first built my Scanner Room, I told it to scan for Sandstone. This was absolutely awesome. But now, when I try to scan for anything, my list shows:

Copper Ore
Crashfish powder
Creature Egg
Fragment
Lead
Limestone Chunk
Metal Salvage
Quartz
Reefback
Salt Deposit

I might guess 'Sandstone' is the item right below Salt Deposit. But I don't know any way to make this list scroll down to get to 'Sandstone'. Does anyone know any way to scroll the list? I've tried clicking all over the list, and I've tried every keyboard command I can think of. But I can't find a way to scroll the list. My only thought at the moment is to find the item I think might have the lowest number of items and then try to collect all within the scan range so that hopefully that item drops off the list so I can see Sandstone again.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

(I'm playing version 45356.)

Thanks!

Comments

• BossblasterBossblaster None Join Date: 2017-02-17 Member: 228004Members
    I have the same problem, the scanner room is very buggy
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    Is it not because there are no sandstones in range to scan?
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    pie1055 wrote: »
    Is it not because there are no sandstones in range to scan?

The Scanner Room is in the Safe Shallows. So, there are definitely a TON of sandstone. But your comment is close to the truth. After scanning for Crashfish Powder for a while, the list updated to show a different list of items. Fortunately, Sandstone was the very bottom item. But then that meant I didn't have "Wrecks" on the list. I might assume there is some default list of items it first shows. But I think the only reason Copper Ore was on the list was because I had opened a Limestone Chunk but then dropped the Copper Ore due to full inventory. Normally, I wouldn't expect Copper Ore to be on the list. Instead, I would expect only to see Limestone Chunk.

In any event, I'm finding the Scanner Room to be *EXTREMELY* useful. Thus far, I've used it to great effect for:

1. Finding tons of Sandstone around the map--usually in caves--that yield Silver.
    2. Finding Quartz more quickly during the day.
    3. Identifying rooms in Wrecks I didn't think had any way in.

• pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    That's weeeeeeeeiiirrrd....
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    I take it there is no way to change the elevation of the projection or zoom it? We can't crouch, so it can be quite hard to see details sometimes!
    Avimimus wrote: »
    I take it there is no way to change the elevation of the projection or zoom it? We can't crouch, so it can be quite hard to see details sometimes!

I don't ever use the projection. It's pretty and all. But it is nowhere near as useful as the HUD chip that shows you the location of the resources out in the real world.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    garath wrote: »

I don't ever use the projection. It's pretty and all. But it is nowhere near as useful as the HUD chip that shows you the location of the resources out in the real world.

Ah, but I'm using it to map cave networks and examine terrain structures!
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    edited March 2017

Ah, but I'm using it to map cave networks and examine terrain structures!

Seamoth sonar module may help.
  • JolianJolian Join Date: 2007-05-23 Member: 60995Members, Constellation
    Sam problem as OP, basically verbatim. How do I tell it what to scan for?
  • SutremaineSutremaine Join Date: 2017-03-12 Member: 228860Members
    I've had the scanner point at lead in my Cyclops lockers, which is a little annoying. You're right that there's a default list, but that list is 'everything scannable and within range'.

The scanner room is best placed at depth. You can't move the projection and the scanner room will always be in the middle of said projection, so you want most of its scanning to go up into the space of the room. It's pretty neat to stick it in the deep dark biomes and get an overview of the terrain.
  • mikeloevenmikeloeven Join Date: 2017-04-14 Member: 229623Members
    So I can state this is definitely a bug i have seen quartz right outside my base but this option falls off the end of the list which is sorted alphabetically and there is no scroll bar. So confirmed resource in range but not select able due to list size
    I hope the Scanner Rooms gets some love after they finish work on this new 'Silent Running' update. Either update the GUI so it scrolls... Or, just put the Scanner Room out of his misery and remove it from the game altogther. :)
  • SlinkySlim666SlinkySlim666 Panama City, Florida Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228333Members
    edited April 2017
    I have the same question myself, I have been using the Carry all bags filled with diving equipment (laser cutter, repair tool, batteries, flares, led light, nutrient blocks, and water) its a lot more fun that way in my opinion. You know, having to place the luggage bag down near where your going to be working. Saves inventory space that way also. I cant find anymore wrecks, and I remembered there was a wrecks selection in the scanner room (Wooo finally a use for this thing) then I went in and it was gone.. Pretty much everything that was on there isn't there anymore. I'm going to try removing it then replacing it and see if that works, Ill keep you updated on the results. By the way they released a update for those who have been having resources disappear from the carry all and floating storage container, depending on your location in a few hours youll have a update pushed to your game. Also one that fixes the glitch with editing locker and sign labels, They added base de-initialization finally. BTW in case yall don't know about this. I check it over 20 times a day to keep a eye on what updates I need to bug check..

https://subnautica.unknownworlds.com/#/subnautica/checkins
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited April 2017

Wait, the HUD upgrade that shows currently-scanning items as you swim around actually works?? On my Stable Feb version I built the Scanner Room and I can craft the module, but I was extremely disappointed as it not only won't work but the game won't let me even physically load the module in any slots. :cry:

Along with trying to use camera drones to have to "pinpoint" resources one-at-a-time in the world and with the above mention that the list can't be scrolled, I just stopped using it altogether. Despite the letdown, I still enjoy the 3D hologram readout of the terrain at least. :neutral:
  • SlinkySlim666SlinkySlim666 Panama City, Florida Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228333Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »

Wait, the HUD upgrade that shows currently-scanning items as you swim around actually works?? On my Stable Feb version I built the Scanner Room and I can craft the module, but I was extremely disappointed as it not only won't work but the game won't let me even physically load the module in any slots. :cry:

Along with trying to use camera drones to have to "pinpoint" resources one-at-a-time in the world and with the above mention that the list can't be scrolled, I just stopped using it altogether. Despite the letdown, I still enjoy the 3D hologram readout of the terrain at least. :neutral:

Yep, Its been working since the march build I know forsure.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    On my Stable Feb version I built the Scanner Room and I can craft the module, but I was extremely disappointed as it not only won't work but the game won't let me even physically load the module in any slots. :cry:

Erm. The HUD upgrade is equipped to the left or right of the head in your paperdoll UI...
    When I last used the Scanner Room, on one of those rare occasions, it let me select 'Sandstone' to scan for. Then, I used the HUD chip, and it guided me in the real world to EACH and EVERY Sandstone It was *AWESOME*. You just cannot imagine how much Sandstone there really is out there until the Scanner Room guides you to 20 in a row. Sadly, that was one play session with the Scanner Room out of maybe a dozen. The rest of the time, it showed me a list of ten items ending in the alphabet just above 'Sa'. Thus, no way to scan for Sandstone anymore. :(
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    On my Stable Feb version I built the Scanner Room and I can craft the module, but I was extremely disappointed as it not only won't work but the game won't let me even physically load the module in any slots. :cry:

Erm. The HUD upgrade is equipped to the left or right of the head in your paperdoll UI...

Why would a Scanner Room Upgrade Module be equippable onto the player? I mean I get what you're saying, but the only things we can equip that aren't Signals are from the Tools submenu. To me it makes no sense that a two foot cylindrical module would plug into our wetsuit, since they share models and icons with the other SR modules. :confused:

I'll try it out later after work, but honestly that makes no sense. Wouldn't such an upgrade be made from the Fabricator instead of the Scanner Room?
    edited April 2017

Why would a Scanner Room Upgrade Module be equippable onto the player? I mean I get what you're saying, but the only things we can equip that aren't Signals are from the Tools submenu. To me it makes no sense that a two foot cylindrical module would plug into our wetsuit, since they share models and icons with the other SR modules. :confused:

I'll try it out later after work, but honestly that makes no sense. Wouldn't such an upgrade be made from the Fabricator instead of the Scanner Room?

Believe me when I say that you most DEFINITELY want to be able to equip or not equip the HUD chip because you want a way to easily toggle whether or not you see the myriad items it displays. It would be painful if you had to equip it somewhere in the Scanner Room and then go all the way back to the Scanner Room to toggle it off again.

Edit: I mean equip on your person, of course, so that anywhere you are, you can turn it off or on.
    edited April 2017

Believe me when I say that you most DEFINITELY want to be able to equip or not equip the HUD chip because you want a way to easily toggle whether or not you see the myriad items it displays. It would be painful if you had to equip it somewhere in the Scanner Room and then go all the way back to the Scanner Room to toggle it off again.

Edit: I mean equip on your person, of course, so that anywhere you are, you can turn it off or on.

Oh yeah, I get that. Being able to turn on or off scanning blips anywhere is a useful deal. :) But since you have to go to the Scanner Room anyways to start or stop scanning, let alone change what you want to scan for, it makes more sense for the HUD module to plug into the actual scanner computer.

Not to mention there are four upgrade slots in the SR computer, and I like to keep the Compass and Thermometer HUD up always, so it just bewilders me that it's set up the way it is now. :sweat_smile: They don't have to change it (although I would prefer that they did...) BUT I would suggest they change the icon and model to something that's not a SR Upgrade Module if it doesn't actually install in the SR Upgrade Module slot.
    I think it is a very good suggestion that they update the look of the HUD chip to make it clear where it goes. The developers have done an AWESOME job updating the graphics for everything in the game. It's amazing how nice it looks now. Absolutely beautiful work they are doing.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    If you're having Scanner Room list overload problems, you can save and exit the game. Start again and load the save. It takes a while for it to load all the items on the Scanner Room list and you can go in and catch some things like Sandstone before it's no longer on the visible list.
  • handersohanderso Canada Join Date: 2017-04-30 Member: 230142Members
    edited April 2017

Oh yeah, I get that. Being able to turn on or off scanning blips anywhere is a useful deal. :) But since you have to go to the Scanner Room anyways to start or stop scanning, let alone change what you want to scan for, it makes more sense for the HUD module to plug into the actual scanner computer.

Not to mention there are four upgrade slots in the SR computer, and I like to keep the Compass and Thermometer HUD up always, so it just bewilders me that it's set up the way it is now. :sweat_smile: They don't have to change it (although I would prefer that they did...) BUT I would suggest they change the icon and model to something that's not a SR Upgrade Module if it doesn't actually install in the SR Upgrade Module slot.

The four slots are actually so you can install multiples like 4x range booster. The effects stack.
    handerso wrote: »
    The four slots are actually so you can install multiples like 4x range booster. The effects stack.

Yeah, I found that out pretty quickly. Although given how little range each upgrade gives, it's not really worth it (to me at least) to worry with stacking them. I still don't get how the Scanner Room HUD upgrade module, which is made only by the SR fabricator, and looks like the other upgrade modules (which only install in the SR system)... only installs on the player's wetsuit. :x