Alterra...creepy?

scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else find the Alterra lifestyle kinda, I don't know...creepy? Weird?

I cite as my primary example the PDA log of the couple "renegotiating" their contact hours to zero - in other words, breaking up - laden with enough HR-friendly wording to put anyone into anaphylactic shock? Maybe it's meant as satire (I hope so), but man...those Alterra folks really have some bad head-wiring going on.

Comments

• robotflyrobotfly Virginia Join Date: 2015-07-16 Member: 206185Members
    There is defiantly alot about them that strikes as bizarre, but then again they have been on a ship for god knows how many years. would make sense for the lines between work and normal to be blurred
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    It's more than that, from other PDAs I found on the Aurora... Alterra's basically the government. EVERYTHING is viewed through the eye of free-market capitalism.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    That's life in your average MegaCorp. Very similar to working for a Japanese zaibatsu.

However, Alterra's infringements on personal affairs are decidedly creepy, unless that sort of thing has become the social norm.

The Company Is Your Friend. For Life.
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    However, Alterra's infringements on personal affairs are decidedly creepy, unless that sort of thing has become the social norm.

That's the impression I got. Another manual you can find basically notes that competition is good for EVERYTHING, for the market, for buying things, and for relationships.

And if your partner goes somewhere else for a good or service you don't provide maybe you should 'rethink your personal corporate goal'.

It's kinda twisted.
  • HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members
    Don't forget the greed for money that comes with being a MegaCorp! :smirk:
    Something along the lines of 'Any resource you use on the planet for your own survival you will have to pay for in the future. Your current total expense is equivalent to 667,890 credits.' - Lmao, that was in a PDA on the Aurora, or maybe it was the AI when exploring the Aurora? Eh I forgot most of it haha
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    That's life in your average MegaCorp. Very similar to working for a Japanese zaibatsu.

• awesomeguy101awesomeguy101 Join Date: 2016-06-21 Member: 218886Members
    Yep. Alterra watches your every move! If you unlocked all the PDA entries in experimental you learn some pretty creepy stuff. The ship has built in recorders that monitor conversations if certain keywords are detected. Nobody can have a private conversation without being monitored. That's enough to be called creepy. They are also not run by nice people. Some other PDA entries reveal that the only way to get into Alterra is to be chosen through a raffle where whoever has the most tickets with their name on it wins. They provide services for your family but if they cant finish your training your kicked out and all the benefits are lost. Harsh. Also MORE hidden logs reveal information about the charter and law enforcement on Alterra controlled planets. From all resources we have we can deduce Alterra is not a nice company.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    There is going to be a "The Game Theorists" video on this after the full release, I swear to it.
  • Seph64Seph64 Join Date: 2017-01-13 Member: 226658Members
    Another thing that strikes me as odd is that Alterra seems to have a lousy reputation for bad quality of space ships, as heard by the Captain of the Sunbeam complaining about how frequently the ships require rescue.

Something tells me that I do no want to be rescued, at least not by someone from Alterra. I'd be in debt for life for all the Diamonds and other resources I've used for survival.
    Seph64 wrote: »
    Another thing that strikes me as odd is that Alterra seems to have a lousy reputation for bad quality of space ships, as heard by the Captain of the Sunbeam complaining about how frequently the ships require rescue.

Something tells me that I do no want to be rescued, at least not by someone from Alterra. I'd be in debt for life for all the Diamonds and other resources I've used for survival.

"Alterra Brand Prosthetic Kneecaps! JUST the replacements you need when we break your organic ones for failing to pay up! Don't worry, we have very generous payment plans!"
  • Seph64Seph64 Join Date: 2017-01-13 Member: 226658Members
    Kyman201 wrote: »

"Alterra Brand Prosthetic Kneecaps! JUST the replacements you need when we break your organic ones for failing to pay up! Don't worry, we have very generous payment plans!"

Nope nope nope, I am quite content living on this water planet away from my corrupt cooperate overlords. I think I will keep the quarantine gun operational too, to make sure I never leave.
  • BossblasterBossblaster None Join Date: 2017-02-17 Member: 228004Members
    I would rather let the crar slowly kill me then allow them to use me as a puppet
    edited February 2017
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

Dat connection though, kinda freaky.

atleast alterra isnt a worldwide walmart...right?

well "Galaxy-wide"
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    It's simple how to get out of debt: First you spread the Carar, then you sell the cure. You just have to keep the method for acquiring it secret.
    Fathom wrote: »
    It's simple how to get out of debt: First you spread the Carar, then you sell the cure. You just have to keep the method for acquiring it secret.

Can we not turn Alterra into presentable liberty i still have nightmares
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members

Wasn't that the plot from Mission: Impossible 2?

Wasn't that the plot from Mission: Impossible 2?

I dont know about that but in presentable liberty some guy set off a virus that kills made it expensive as hell (people had to sell homes to afford it, then the cure would kill organs, so he then sells organs to help replace them but the organs are faulty so tehy have too keep getting replaced until eventually the CEO gets the disease and dies due to his own greed
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    robotfly wrote: »
    I dont know about that but in presentable liberty some guy set off a virus that kills made it expensive as hell (people had to sell homes to afford it, then the cure would kill organs, so he then sells organs to help replace them but the organs are faulty so tehy have too keep getting replaced until eventually the CEO gets the disease and dies due to his own greed

Well! That's...grim. Even for Alterra.
    robotfly wrote: »

Well! That's...grim. Even for Alterra.

I mean thats what the carar at least the first part. question is what will they do when the find out about this new illness and its cure?
  • IcremunIcremun Join Date: 2016-09-12 Member: 222276Members
    Well we know how they got into power as it were.
    By arming both sides in a massive war then when they got enough money they cut supply's and took over.

The worst thing is I think that Altera is one of the better corporations out there.

I think that this is supposed to mean that they don't often compromise:
    run out of engine grease, could carry on but no we have to send out a distress call to get more.

Icremun wrote: »
    Well we know how they got into power as it were.
    By arming both sides in a massive war then when they got enough money they cut supply's and took over.

The worst thing is I think that Altera is one of the better corporations out there.

I think that this is supposed to mean that they don't often compromise:
    run out of engine grease, could carry on but no we have to send out a distress call to get more.

Hes got a point in some parts, it does seem alterra or at least its fleet does have a track record of being frail. at least in the eyes of the sunbeam. wonder if the degassi hurt there reputation. and they are trying to restore it by sending aurora
    It's a sadly common corporate mentality. Maintenance costs money, so we won't do it; if it breaks, we'll fix it then. Bad enough when you're a factory in New Jersey; on a starship out in middle-of-nowhere space, that's a bad attitude to take.
    It's a sadly common corporate mentality. Maintenance costs money, so we won't do it; if it breaks, we'll fix it then. Bad enough when you're a factory in New Jersey; on a starship out in middle-of-nowhere space, that's a bad attitude to take.

You work in a factory in Jersey?

Once upon a time. :)

Once upon a time. :)

I work in a factory in New York (upstate). Yeah, they just fixed the roof (well, mostly) that's been leaking like a sieve for years. Not hazardous at all... as long as a leak doesn't open up over a 480V panel (especially if you're next to it). "Safety first!" but they won't give us enough crew to get finished material to the warehouse and obey the 3MPH forklift speed limit *wink, wink* and the governors are conveniently left at 12 MPH.

I'm not saying all big companies are bad, but some definitely are. Especially when they are bought out by an investment company that just wants to turn mad profit, only caring about the next quarter, until the host starts showing signs of being drained (no reinvestment to infrastructure) and then sell it to the next investment company, rinse, repeat. >:/