Dynamic Weather would seal the deal.

SlinkySlim666SlinkySlim666 Panama City, Florida Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228333Members
Hey guys, There is a whole lot of people who think it would be awesome if you added in some dynamic weather. It would be amazing! That would add a whole another layer of ambience and realism to the game. Especially since there is mention in game of a massive weather event. It would be so much more scary being stranded at night and then here comes the rain. Id love to see something thrown together for us in the experimental build.

Comments

• SerpentMaster1000SerpentMaster1000 Utah, USA Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226053Members
    I can totally imagine rain pouring, or snow falling in an arctic biome.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    edited February 2017
    Good ideas come up often! We were just talking about this over in the General Discussion board. :)
  • xb1playerxb1player Join Date: 2017-02-21 Member: 228119Members
    Dynamic weather would be cool, but wouldn't there be acid rain for a little bit after the Aurora explodes? I'm not saying that negatively, but it would hurt your character wouldn't it? (Yes I do know that acid rain isn't REAL acid, but I was told that it still burns)
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    xb1player wrote: »
    Dynamic weather would be cool, but wouldn't there be acid rain for a little bit after the Aurora explodes? I'm not saying that negatively, but it would hurt your character wouldn't it? (Yes I do know that acid rain isn't REAL acid, but I was told that it still burns)

Oh, it's real acid, alright. There are two types: sulfuric acid rain, caused by sulfur dioxide (commonly from coal power plants); and nitric acid rain, produced from nitrogen dioxide.

Generally, it's more of a problem for plants and fish, but if the concentration is high enough, you'll feel it on your skin.

To get acid rain, though, you need a vapor in the atmosphere that produces acid when blended with water. In the case of acid rain, that'd be hydrogen sulfide. Really, all the Aurora would be putting out would be metal vapor - which would cause chemically-contaminated rain, absolutely. Just not acid. :)
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Instead it should rain peepers. Kappa
  • BossblasterBossblaster None Join Date: 2017-02-17 Member: 228004Members
    Wouldn't the smoke be nitrogen dioxide? Or is that from something else because I don't know science
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    edited February 2017
    Probably depends on what's making up the smoke.

Edit: Also, yeah, roaming weather patterns would be interesting. Especially if storms blew through and shook up the environment so that it exposed more resources.
  • robotflyrobotfly Virginia Join Date: 2015-07-16 Member: 206185Members
    This is a good idea but...the game is underwater most of the time your not close enough to actually experience the weather.

but maybe underwater weather. like areas with alot of activity kick up dust making it difficult to see, maybe strong currents here and there kicking stuff into the side of your base.
    Wouldn't the smoke be nitrogen dioxide? Or is that from something else because I don't know science

Most of the smoke would probably be carbon dioxide, actually. Nitrogen dioxide is a product of burning fossil fuels - gasoline, butane, bunker oil, et cetera - whereas carbon dioxide is a result of almost all combustion.

However, nitrogen dioxide was produced in significant quantities during nuclear tests, principally by the shockwave fronts. When the Aurora's core blows, it might produce enough of a shock to produce enough nitrogen dioxide to cause acid rain. It'd be a short-lived phenomenon, but it's within the bounds of reality.
  • SlinkySlim666SlinkySlim666 Panama City, Florida Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228333Members
    edited March 2017

If you build a base on the islands then it has a lot of relevance actually.
    robotfly wrote: »
    This is a good idea but...the game is underwater most of the time your not close enough to actually experience the weather.

but maybe underwater weather. like areas with alot of activity kick up dust making it difficult to see, maybe strong currents here and there kicking stuff into the side of your base.

Au contraire, mon frere! Any shallow seabases could easily be damaged by heavy wave action, and the reduction of solar penetration due to storm clouds could render solar power collectors inoperative. It could also provide a viable excuse for respawning some resources in the Shallows, as wave action and currents could "uncover" deposits, as suggested by @Kyman201. (Although not with actual terraforming of the world, though.)

But in an atmospheric sense, it'd be incredible. Thunderstorms at sea are amazing, but, as you say, we're underwater most of the time. Have you ever heard what thunder sounds like underwater? Epic. Astounding.
    If you build a base on the islands then it has a lot of relevance actually.

Im not saying all underwater is safe, just deep area like the koosh & reef. I doo like the idea that shallow area get new loot could use a reverse effect that the sea treaders do.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    I'd love to have more dynamic environments, including weather from above. But I fear it's above the devs limits to implement things like massive waves or surface storms or underwater currents. Otherwise they would have done so long ago when those things were suggested.

All what might be possible is a little rain. But I'd even welcome that little change.
    So +1 for me
  • TheGreatForkTheGreatFork United States Join Date: 2017-03-10 Member: 228797Members
    I think it would be awesome if it got cloudy, the waves got bigger and wind sound effects played loudly when you breached the surface especially if when you got out of your pod that's what you were greeted with upon your first glance at this new world. And like a nother comment mentioned you wouldn't get to see the weather much seeing how your underwater but it would be best and areas with strong currents that kick up dust would be awesome (they could be controlled by the weather)
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    It would also make sense if when the Aurora exploded it would make a tsunami, as seen in the early access trailer. An explosion that powerful would have the power to do that.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    Maybe not a full-blown tsunami but certainly a wave that ranks at least at "Giant Honkin'"
    Well, in deep water, a tsunami is barely a ripple, so that's probably not the best idea. ;)

Realistically, a blast powerful enough to put up a good-sized, lifepod-tumbling wave like the one in the trailer would probably just kill you outright. (Plus, the surface wave would travel a lot slower than the airblast.) If you have to involve water, the shockwave would raise a nice mist from the surface, but that's about it. Better to just stick to airblast knocking you off the lifepod.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    Realistically, a blast powerful enough to put up a good-sized, lifepod-tumbling wave like the one in the trailer would probably just kill you outright.

Now that you mention it, how come the explosion doesn't outright kill everything surrounding the Aurora when it blows up? If you say the water would cushion the sea creatures from the shockwave, then what about the resulting radiation? If it's enough to kill you unshielded, it should adversely affect the wildlife as well. (And yeah, maybe you could handwave it with "alien lifeforms = different physiology" but if that's true then they wouldn't be safe to eat).
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    Now that you mention it, how come the explosion doesn't outright kill everything surrounding the Aurora when it blows up? If you say the water would cushion the sea creatures from the shockwave, then what about the resulting radiation? If it's enough to kill you unshielded, it should adversely affect the wildlife as well.

Actually, things in the water would be affected even more, since the blast energy is being transmitted directly from the hull of the Aurora into the surrounding water. It'd be like dynamite fishing with a...well, with an exploding starship. There should be a lot of dead stuff floating on the surface or sitting on the bottom.

(Yay! Free reaper steaks!)
    (And yeah, maybe you could handwave it with "alien lifeforms = different physiology" but if that's true then they wouldn't be safe to eat).

Well, Tarkannen, there are some structural differences that would make an organism more or less affected by sharp pressure changes without rendering it inedible, but anything strong enough to resist that magnitude of pressure shift is probably made out of carbon steel, which, yeah, isn't safe to eat. ;)
    Now that you mention it, how come the explosion doesn't outright kill everything surrounding the Aurora when it blows up? If you say the water would cushion the sea creatures from the shockwave, then what about the resulting radiation? If it's enough to kill you unshielded, it should adversely affect the wildlife as well.

Actually, things in the water would be affected even more, since the blast energy is being transmitted directly from the hull of the Aurora into the surrounding water. It'd be like dynamite fishing with a...well, with an exploding starship. There should be a lot of dead stuff floating on the surface or sitting on the bottom.

(Yay! Free reaper steaks!)
    (And yeah, maybe you could handwave it with "alien lifeforms = different physiology" but if that's true then they wouldn't be safe to eat).

Well, Tarkannen, there are some structural differences that would make an organism more or less affected by sharp pressure changes without rendering it inedible, but anything strong enough to resist that magnitude of pressure shift is probably made out of carbon steel, which, yeah, isn't safe to eat. ;)

Sooooo reapers then