The Giant Skeleton in Lost River

NovanCrusaderNovanCrusader United States Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228373Members
edited February 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions
So, I love how the Lost River gives you that sense of always-be-on-your-guard-or-get-f**ked-up creepiness, but as with a lot of games, there's some details that could use some attention for us that love small details that usually go unnoticed.

de5c439ad4.jpg

Notice the rib cage around the back of the skull. And notice how the skull is positioned. The jaw is on the bottom, and the skull on the top? Where is this going?

It's going to this: Where's the spinal cord?!

I mean, I can see how it could be mistaken, but if the skull is going to be upwards like it is, it would be nice to see the spine running down from the back of the skull.

Comments

• SaladExistsSaladExists Canada Join Date: 2016-07-06 Member: 219747Members
    I stole the spinal cord. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2017
    I definitely think that how the rib cage is sitting right now looks a lot more impressive, it kinda has that scary look. But you've got a point that the Skull is in this case the wrong way up... Unless...

There is something bigger out there which killed it and toppled it over on it's chin :D

BUT, the same could be said for the Skull* sitting like this...

* hehe that is a reflex of typing Skulk with a capital letter ey...
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    edited February 2017
    So, I love how the Lost River gives you that sense of always-be-on-your-guard-or-get-f**ked-up creepiness, but as with a lot of games, there's some details that could use some attention for us that love small details that usually go unnoticed.Notice the rib cage around the back of the skull. And notice how the skull is positioned. The jaw is on the bottom, and the skull on the top? Where is this going?

I mean, I can see how it could be mistaken, but if the skull is going to be upwards like it is, it would be nice to see the spine running down from the back of the skull.

Well, if the connection of the ribs to the vertebrae was cartilaginous, it's possible that, as the body decayed, the cartilage couldn't support the weight of the spine. It became detached and sunk into the benthic mud at the bottom of the "river." Since we can no longer dig, we'll never know.

Another possibility is that the skull really is upside-down but only appears right-way-up. If you look at the skull of a gulper eel (Saccopharynx ampullaceus), it makes a strong argument that the skull could well be inverted; if the jaw is substantial and featured, and the mandibular joint reversed from the terrestrial norm, such that the mandibular process (connection "points") are part of the skull and not the mandible...it's possible that skull is really upside down. Since the visible points of the ribs seem to indicate they didn't have a spinal connection, I'd lean toward the "weird inverted skull" hypothesis, myself.
  • xb1playerxb1player Join Date: 2017-02-21 Member: 228119Members
    Since we can no longer dig, we'll never know.

Actually if you enter 'item terraformer' you can get the terraformer and dig,so I will try out that digging thing.
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    It is strange that the creature doesn't have a spine.

And there was a in development picture but I can't seem to find it, the creature did have a spine but the devs removed it, strange.
  • NovanCrusaderNovanCrusader United States Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228373Members
    So, I love how the Lost River gives you that sense of always-be-on-your-guard-or-get-f**ked-up creepiness, but as with a lot of games, there's some details that could use some attention for us that love small details that usually go unnoticed.Notice the rib cage around the back of the skull. And notice how the skull is positioned. The jaw is on the bottom, and the skull on the top? Where is this going?

Well, if the connection of the ribs to the vertebrae was cartilaginous, it's possible that, as the body decayed, the cartilage couldn't support the weight of the spine. It became detached and sunk into the benthic mud at the bottom of the "river." Since we can no longer dig, we'll never know.

Another possibility is that the skull really is upside-down but only appears right-way-up. If you look at the skull of a gulper eel (Saccopharynx ampullaceus), it makes a strong argument that the skull could well be inverted; if the jaw is substantial and featured, and the mandibular joint reversed from the terrestrial norm, such that the mandibular process (connection "points") are part of the skull and not the mandible...it's possible that skull is really upside down. Since the visible points of the ribs seem to indicate they didn't have a spinal connection, I'd lean toward the "weird inverted skull" hypothesis, myself.

Well, I suspect it was just a flaw in the design. That or maybe it's some sort of weird double-sided skull in which it has like four eyes on each side, being eight in total. Perhaps even the creature was able to maneuver greatly due to being double-sided. That's an interesting thought.
  • NovanCrusaderNovanCrusader United States Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228373Members
    It is strange that the creature doesn't have a spine.

And there was a in development picture but I can't seem to find it, the creature did have a spine but the devs removed it, strange.

I don't think the developers intentionally forgot the spine, if they forgot it at all. It may just be a mistake, because a lot of times when I find skeletons in games, I find their skull attached upside-down without a spine.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    edited March 2017
    Well, I suspect it was just a flaw in the design.

I'd say it's about 99% likely that you're right. ;) Still, it's fun to try to retcon mistakes like that.
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    they ruined one of my bases by putting a leviathan through the majority of my super structure