Weird new biome filled with giant fingers

Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
I knew the devs were acting suspiciously! Oh, you got us good, having our attention fixed on the lost river & inactive lava zone updates, so that you could sneakily add something new away from our attention!

Basically, there's a new surface biome called the Crag Field just south-west of the Crash Zone; and it's filled with weird rock formations that resemble giant fingers. It's only half filled tho: according to discord, the eastern part of the biome is yet to be filled.

Here it is on da map, in dark brown:
480?cb=20170225193341

Comments

• kJGkJG Join Date: 2016-06-19 Member: 218794Members
    I knew the devs were acting suspiciously! Oh, you got us good, having our attention fixed on the lost river & inactive lava zone updates, so that you could sneakily add something new away from our attention!

Basically, there's a new surface biome called the Crag Field just south-west of the Crash Zone; and it's filled with weird rock formations that resemble giant fingers. It's only half filled tho: according to discord, the eastern part of the biome is yet to be filled.

480?cb=20170225193341

Well from what I see its only a new biome in respect of those "fingers", not because there are new plants, fish or technologies (in some lost bases) there. Would there actually be reason to visit it apart from looking at the structures for the first time? Nice nonetheless
  • Gourmet_GuyGourmet_Guy Ohio Join Date: 2016-06-16 Member: 218647Members
    kJG wrote: »

480?cb=20170225193341

Well from what I see its only a new biome in respect of those "fingers", not because there are new plants, fish or technologies (in some lost bases) there. Would there actually be reason to visit it apart from looking at the structures for the first time? Nice nonetheless

Don't know. We'll have to wait and see won't we??
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited February 2017
    Some of the rock structures in this biome kind of remind me of the old Grand Reef spikes.
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    w8v2kt9vtx5u.jpg
    I got serious sunless sea vibes from that place.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    The rock structures in this biome kind of remind me of the old Grand Reef spikes.

I really hope they bring those back. They would give such a creepy atmosphere to the Grand Reef.
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    Skope wrote: »
    The rock structures in this biome kind of remind me of the old Grand Reef spikes.

I really hope they bring those back. They would give such a creepy atmosphere to the Grand Reef.

And I was just thinking everyone had forgotten about those. This is exciting as I never even knew about the old grand reef spikes until recently.
  • El_Leviatan_FantasmaEl_Leviatan_Fantasma Florida Join Date: 2017-02-19 Member: 228053Members
    You sneaky devs, not saying anything about this area.
    Also, Crag Field.

Crag means rocks.

The biome description on the wiki says the biome is dominated by rocks.

Possibly, rocks for the Rock Puncher?

#rockpuncherissaved

Ohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    w8v2kt9vtx5u.jpg
    I got serious sunless sea vibes from that place.

You've been at the red honey again, haven't you?
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    The Sea Dragon wouldn't look out of place here.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Yes, a new biome would be vary welcome :smile:

Still hoping we'll eventually see some abyss biomes, thousands of metres down.
  • awesomeguy101awesomeguy101 Join Date: 2016-06-21 Member: 218886Members
    Also, Crag Field.

Crag means rocks.

#rockpuncherissaved

YEEEEAAAAASSSSS. The Rockpuncher is now a possibility. YASSSSS. #Savetherockpuncher2017
    Also, Crag Field.

Crag means rocks.

#rockpuncherissaved

2017 has been the year of satisfaction for Subnautica...
    Phantom leviathan model, a rock biome, maybe hinting at the rock puncher, the Prison...
    It's gonna be a good year, my friends...
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Cool! Very cool!

Does anyone know if the plan to place twisty bridges near ILZ is still in place?
    Avimimus wrote: »
    Cool! Very cool!

Does anyone know if the plan to place twisty bridges near ILZ is still in place?

If you're talking about the plans to replace the DGR-ILZ path with the twisty bridges, then I don't think so. I only heard a little bit about these plans, so sorry if I'm not doing a great job at answering, but I'm sure I heard that they're just getting rid of the DGR-ILZ path.

I think the twisty bridges would look good somewhere else anyway, if they ever were added. I was thinking somewhere by the Koosh Zone.
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    Cool! Very cool!

If you're talking about the plans to replace the DGR-ILZ path with the twisty bridges, then I don't think so. I only heard a little bit about these plans, so sorry if I'm not doing a great job at answering, but I'm sure I heard that they're just getting rid of the DGR-ILZ path.

I think the twisty bridges would look good somewhere else anyway, if they ever were added. I was thinking somewhere by the Koosh Zone.

That is what I figured.

I'm just really hoping to someday have the opportunity to purchase an expansion pack! Especially given all of the neat ideas we've seen from this team (e.g. Twisty bridges is the Subnautica logo on Steam :D )
  • El_Leviatan_FantasmaEl_Leviatan_Fantasma Florida Join Date: 2017-02-19 Member: 228053Members
    Cool! Very cool!

They changed their minds about closing off that path. Honestly at the moment the devs are flip-flopping all over the place about a lot of things, it's hard to know what's actually happening most of the time.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Cool! Very cool!

They changed their minds about closing off that path. Honestly at the moment the devs are flip-flopping all over the place about a lot of things, it's hard to know what's actually happening most of the time.

Completely agree. For the twisty bridges, there is a section of kelp forest that the terrain is almost EXACTLY shaped like the twisty bridges. Will post coords later.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited February 2017
    They changed their minds about closing off that path.

No they didn't. It's been closed for a while now.

• CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    What if the Crag Field was the only biome that allowed the rock punchers to punch rocks and terraform, they couldn't go outside that biome or terraform anywhere else, but at least we would know that the rock puncher could be added that way.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    What if the Crag Field was the only biome that allowed the rock punchers to punch rocks and terraform, they couldn't go outside that biome or terraform anywhere else, but at least we would know that the rock puncher could be added that way.

Theoretically possible, actually. Since any terraforming action is calling a subroutine for altering the geometry, you could make the 'puncher the only game object with the ability to trigger that subroutine. Odds are, the terraforming code is still buried somewhere in the game's code anyway; with modern computing being what it is, "code optimization" really isn't a huge priority any more...not like the old days when you spent every single byte like it was your last penny because you only had a few hundred K to play with.

I just really, really hope that the changes that are occurring - and the limitations that they're imposing - aren't to make the game console friendly. The sheer number of games that have committed suicide because a PC game was shoehorned into console limitations...I'd really hate to see something as great as Subnautica go down that road.
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    edited February 2017
    Does anyone think it's weird that all the spikes point in a similar direction, it almost seems unnatural
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    They don't all go in the same direction.
    Does anyone think it's weird that all the spikes point in a similar direction, it almost seems unnatural

Not really. There are lots of geological phenomena like this. The ice age left thousands of kilometers of rocks which have straight lines carved in them, are smooth on their northern sides, and have their southern sides broken off!

They changed their minds about closing off that path.

No they didn't. It's been closed for a while now.

Sad to hear - I liked how hard it was to find/navigate!

Theoretically possible, actually. Since any terraforming action is calling a subroutine for altering the geometry, you could make the 'puncher the only game object with the ability to trigger that subroutine. Odds are, the terraforming code is still buried somewhere in the game's code anyway; with modern computing being what it is, "code optimization" really isn't a huge priority any more...not like the old days when you spent every single byte like it was your last penny because you only had a few hundred K to play with.

I just really, really hope that the changes that are occurring - and the limitations that they're imposing - aren't to make the game console friendly. The sheer number of games that have committed suicide because a PC game was shoehorned into console limitations...I'd really hate to see something as great as Subnautica go down that road.

That would still require having everything that causes the majority of slowdown, crashing, and other problems that terraforming caused, even if it's only in that one area. Honestly the Rock Puncher can work fine without terrain deforming, just have it spawn Rockgrubs and occasionally resources when it hits the terrain and send the Bonesharks flying with a well-placed wallop. The intents in the bases of some of the rock spires can also be Rock Puncher lairs where they've hoarded shiny resources you can collect if you can get past their punches.
  • DracobombaDracobomba Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215502Members
    Wow, they actually have time to be able to sneak in another biome? Awesome! Even if it's just a cosmetic change to the sparse reef, this is exactly what the game needs more of right now.
    Dracobomba wrote: »
    Wow, they actually have time to be able to sneak in another biome? Awesome! Even if it's just a cosmetic change to the sparse reef, this is exactly what the game needs more of right now.

The Sparse Reef still exists, it's to the west of the Crag Field.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Awesome, a new biome and it almost resembles the old spikes/spires from the archaic Grand Reef! Crags huh? Wonder what will be special about this biome... A new base (Precursor or otherwise)? Wreckages? Unique/rare resources? Just another place to relax and base build? Re-routing the Deep Grand Reef - ILZ entrance to here? Rock Puncher habitat?
    Looking forward to seeing more~!
    Rezca wrote: »
    Awesome, a new biome and it almost resembles the old spikes/spires from the archaic Grand Reef! Crags huh? Wonder what will be special about this biome... A new base (Precursor or otherwise)? Wreckages? Unique/rare resources? Just another place to relax and base build? Re-routing the Deep Grand Reef - ILZ entrance to here? Rock Puncher habitat?
    Looking forward to seeing more~!

I think these things would only exist in post 1.0 if they happen at all.

They are rushing to polish the game so it can be officially released and this was an undeveloped and neglected part of the map. While making it prettier the designer made it a little bit unique. But I wouldn't expect any new fauna, resources, or wrecks.