Who here hates the ILZ? I sure do.

kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
I hate the ILZ. mainly for one reason:
gx5rkledcacu.jpg
Caption : Well, hell. These guys again. *puts ax through monitor*

Comments

• AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    The solution is simple! Explore it only using your dive suit!
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    edited February 2017
    I once had an idea to stop that easily, and now that I've seen the video about the future cyclops upgrades, I think this will work really well. Use the horn to scare those fckers away. I don't think it'd be hard to implement, and it'd give the horn a use for once. But it'll also add some tension as using it could attract the sea dragon's attention. So when one is near, you need to do it manually.

What do you think? Good idea?

EDIT: this doesn't work ingame, it's a suggestion in case it wasn't clear

The only problem is then you will have bigger problems to deal with - much bigger, fire - breathing, extremely aggressive problems.
    The sea dragon, like reapers, is attracted to noise.
  • Based_GoatBased_Goat Join Date: 2017-02-12 Member: 227842Members
    When going on long prawn walks in ILZ, take all your cyclops power cells with you. You'll witness a miracle. Just remember: bay doors work on electricity, hatch does not.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Based_Goat wrote: »
    When going on long prawn walks in ILZ, take all your cyclops power cells with you. You'll witness a miracle. Just remember: bay doors work on electricity, hatch does not.

I perfer using the cyclops as a transport, and moving the prawn only for scouting dark areas, drilling resourses, or exploring places you can't fit a cyclops in. (e.g. precursor bases)
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    All will be good in He next cyclops update.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Just go to a place with a few Lava Lizards. They'll clean up your Cyclops in no time.
    Fathom wrote: »
    Just go to a place with a few Lava Lizards. They'll clean up your Cyclops in no time.

Well, I tried that. It didn't work.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    kingkuma wrote: »
    Guess for whatever reason, the Lava Lizards don't like you.
  • NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    When I first thought this I was like "How? The biome is so cool. Then I saw the screenshot and it all made sense.

I can't decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

I thought that I should set up a base in the ILZ next to a reaper skeleton, but I realized I only have 1/2 thermal gen fragments. I'm going to have to go BACK to the lost river, BACK though the grand reef, dodge the crabsquids, go find a fragment, and get back in the LR before the update tomorrow, or I'll be stranded in the deep grand reef with my PRAWN. Wish me luck.
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    It'd be kinda lame if the ILA was easy to go through. It's one of the last areas of the game.
    It'd be kinda lame if the ILA was easy to go through. It's one of the last areas of the game.

I completely agree. I think the same should be said for the Lost River. I'm not going to beg for the Ghost Leviathan because there's enough people doing that.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    I once had an idea to stop that easily, and now that I've seen the video about the future cyclops upgrades, I think this will work really well. Use the horn to scare those fckers away. I don't think it'd be hard to implement, and it'd give the horn a use for once. But it'll also add some tension as using it could attract the sea dragon's attention. So when one is near, you need to do it manually.

What do you think? Good idea?

EDIT: this doesn't work ingame, it's a suggestion in case it wasn't clear

The only problem is then you will have bigger problems to deal with - much bigger, fire - breathing, extremely aggressive problems.

Which is why, whenever one is near, you'll need to make a choice. Either risk attracting the problem by honking, or stay silent and remove the fckers one by one.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Them little buggers :B
    I always try and find a secluded place to go out and deal with them manually. Currently, the Sea Dragon prefers to happily ignore your presence most of the time, so the only real threats to your mission are the Lava Lizards and Warpers.

As for the topic title, I don't really hate the place, but I do feel it's quite underwhelming for an endgame biome. Barely noticeable damage over a very long period of time from the superhot water, a leviathan that refuses to notice you, warpers on predefined paths that are easily avoided, overly bright region.... Then there's my personal gripe with the devs sealing up the ILZ entrances, but that's another matter.
  • Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
    edited March 2017
    Use the horn to scare those fckers away. ... But... it could attract the sea dragon's attention. So when one is near, you need to do it manually.

The only problem is...

He said that already and that's the point; there's a potential danger to using the horn. Makes for more interesting gameplay, don't you agree?

To make it even more dangerous, however, the Sea Dragon would have to do some damage to the Cyclops upon swatting it. So far, the Cyclops can only be damaged when colliding with objects beyond its safe depth or submerging below crush depth (which is avoidable with full upgrades even in the ILZ)

Anyway... Me? I just prop gun them off; using the knife is a hassle because of their tiny hitboxes. Annoying little buggers...

EDIT: There is another problem, more like an alternative solution: Pulling all the power cells out of the Cyclops for a few seconds. The Lava Larvae lose interest and pop off. Then reinsert the power cells and get out of dodge before they stick on again.

The problem is that this method eliminates the danger of using the horn or going out into the elements to prop-gun them off. Of course, it's not a perfect solution because one or two may stick back on your hull again.
  • KingPhantomKingPhantom Switzerland Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228351Members
    to avoid lava larves i just remove all batteries from the cyclops when i'm going for a dive with the prawn. should work
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members

Yes, it always works for me.
    Phoenix223 wrote: »
    Use the horn to scare those fckers away. ... But... it could attract the sea dragon's attention. So when one is near, you need to do it manually.

The only problem is...

He said that already and that's the point; there's a potential danger to using the horn. Makes for more interesting gameplay, don't you agree?

To make it even more dangerous, however, the Sea Dragon would have to do some damage to the Cyclops upon swatting it. So far, the Cyclops can only be damaged when colliding with objects beyond its safe depth or submerging below crush depth (which is avoidable with full upgrades even in the ILZ)

Anyway... Me? I just prop gun them off; using the knife is a hassle because of their tiny hitboxes. Annoying little buggers...

EDIT: There is another problem, more like an alternative solution: Pulling all the power cells out of the Cyclops for a few seconds. The Lava Larvae lose interest and pop off. Then reinsert the power cells and get out of dodge before they stick on again.

The problem is that this method eliminates the danger of using the horn or going out into the elements to prop-gun them off. Of course, it's not a perfect solution because one or two may stick back on your hull again.

Same here. I also use the prop gun on my prawn. Don't have to recharge batteries that way.