ns2_origin

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I'm 100% convinced he's already finished the level, and he's just releasing older revisions... that's some super-human mapping speed otherwise. :)
  • xtcmenxtcmen Join Date: 2004-04-20 Member: 28040Members, Squad Five Blue
    Great to see you are back again mapping.

Origin was a fantastic map. Two notes to consider:

1. The siege locations were always well balanced. For example the middle hive could be sieged from the little nook in the room SW from the hive room. I also remember the little nook had a vent that lead to the hive. Also furnace could be sieged from the room to the south. Biodome could only be siege from around the stair case to the west. I recommend keeping these siege locations consistent as they always played a huge role in NS1 origin.

2. Jetpacks were always the optimal choice given the large nature of the map and the size of the hive rooms.

• KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    pSyk0mAn wrote: »
    But the real secret is...
    If you load up all the offical maps in spark and shake ur monitor really hard, a new room comes out. Really :)

Don't listen to him folks, I tried this once and my computer died... it just... stopped living. It was a sad day.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2017
    Ooh, I'm excited for you taking on this one, @pSyk0mAn :D

Killer Monkey did this version of the map a long time ago that we played as SCC regularly for a while. Might be worth looking at (if you haven't yet) to see some of his choices.

@pSyk0mAn I could probably let you know ahead of time what kind of problems we ran into in testing, probably help you look out for it when you get around to testing. In other news, I am incredibly happy to see someone else take a crack at one of my favourite NS1 maps. I really look forward to your take on it.

Edit: I just checked the version Flat posted and thats pretty old. I mustv'e kept working on it but never released the newer versions. I could show them to you (or probably just release them) if you wanted to see it.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Thanks man, but your layout and approach looks pretty different to my remake.
    Lets see how playtests will go.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If anyone could get this map to work it'll be you. My most recent version actually looks quite similar to yours (most of the differences are between vent and furnace tbh) which is why I made a point of saying that version on the workshop is old but I respect your choice to balance your own way. Best wishes dude.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Kinda done with Ore Extraction and Generator:
    Northern part of Ore:
    qdwOHA1.jpg

..leading to Generator/Ventilation:
    P6fyhAQ.jpg

Ore Extraction, Furnace to the left, Route to Cargo to the right:
    7C11F0n.jpg

Generator:
    62urzhG.jpg

new Overview:
    zXWD8HK.jpg
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    always loved origin in ns1, seeing what you are doing with it for ns2 kinda makes me want to get back to work on ayumi lol! (or some other map I have that starts with a H :D )
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Loki wrote: »
    always loved origin in ns1, seeing what you are doing with it for ns2 kinda makes me want to get back to work on ayumi lol! (or some other map I have that starts with a H :D )

Please do... we need a flourishing mapping community again... it being pretty much just me and meph for the past few months was really boring :P

also, if you could get the one starting with an H done asap that would be great :P
    Those screenshots have me excited man. Didn't think I'd want to get back into spark again but something about seeing Origin being given the remake it deserves is getting me in the mood.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    @Loki if you also finish the other map you were talking about I will find you, come to you and personally hug you
    Todays progress ( My back is ruined for today lol )
    Ventilation:
    KFEYiOP.jpg
    Wrt2jWZ.jpg
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    The new entrance into Ventilation coming from Biodome:
    ..with lot of pipe fun for skulks
    zTLbs3s.jpg
    I31u8MX.jpg
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    @pSyk0mAn you need to make a workflow video. We are sitting here together with the NSA to figure out how you build this fast.
    Lol!
    I think a lot about an area before i start. What is the center element (eye catcher), geometry and layout for gameplay. Then I kinda break down the area into multiple parts using pillar elements. Lot of copy paste flip/rotate after figuring out and building the main elements of an area.

There are still a lot of bare walls tho that need the "extrude and insert prop treatment" and greybox corridors with just textures and overall geometry isn't that complex. Mainly props to distract the eye.

...and then he saves his map to a thumb drive, uses a time machine to go back, then repeat.
    Actually I just use the mailbox at my lake house.
    pSyk0mAn wrote: »
    Actually I just use the mailbox at my lake house.

How do you squeeze yourself into there?
    I can be disassembled.
    I'm a machine, you said it.
    New Location Skylights, connecting Comp Lab, Power Core and Xenoform Research
    2qweFlS.jpg

..with the same vent system as in the original map.

CDm6RIk.jpg
    here comes the plants. Was @Loki on your map? :tongue:
    Lmao plants are relaxing ok
    Plus it shows the players that they are getting closer to biodome area.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I can now give this map my seal of approval for its use of plants :D
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    So, are we reviving SCC to test this, once it's ready?
    Vetinari wrote: »
    So, are we reviving SCC to test this, once it's ready?

Well, with Mesh, Trash, Origin, Fracture being worked on (maybe, not heard for a while), Loki potentially tweaking some maps or potentially working on others and Deburred, there are plenty of maps that are coming that can be tested... just needs someone to organize it that is willing to put the work in and stick at it.
    I vote for someone who is not me