Infestation is UGLY, when will there be a graphical update to infestation? (FOR THE LOVE OF GOD)

Comments

• SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    I personally really like the look of rich infestation, and if I had a better rig, would keep my settings like that all the time. The only problem I see with it is the colour - less green and more "muddy" would look a lot more natural... for something so alien. If only infestation could be something server-rendered and not client-rendered, to even the playing field.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2016
    You know what's funny...

Alien, structures brownish carapace with orange glowy bits
    Aliens, white/grey carapace and dark purple kins with the Gorge being the only having a glowy belly
    Infestation, green

This is what Infestation used to look like in Natural Selection (4x256 images slapped together)
    26021192322_f7dcbb1fd8_o.jpg25511096193_98642dda6f_o.jpg

And this is what we have now, it became more grassy and less bony, tuby and fleshy apparently (the power of 2048x2048 pixels)
    26047409591_751b10d264.jpg

• RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Alright, made another nostalgia mod. The downside is that in order to use it, servers need to run it... The infestation material is protected by consistency checks

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|268:268&composite-to=*,*|268:268&background-color=black

It looks much dirtier than vanilla, in an alien way.

I like this one because its purple:

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=118075981
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @Kouji_San Can you get those details to "pop" any more than that? The veins and tendrils look very flat. (which is part of the problem with vanilla infestation)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2016
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @Kouji_San Can you get those details to "pop" any more than that? The veins and tendrils look very flat. (which is part of the problem with vanilla infestation)

I tried to bumpmap it as best I could, but they still remain quite flat. There's only so much bumpmapping can do. I mean it's use is to add some shallow shadowy/displacement effects to textures, when a light shines on it at certain angles. Without proper polygons to support that effect, this is the best you can get, I'm afraid...

However, I am going to see if I can maybe push it a bit further :D

-> Added a bit more contrast to the bumpmaps, it still looks flat but does have a tiny bit more displacement... For further non polygon modding we would need DX11 support with Displacement Mapping
  • 3X4L73X4L7 Join Date: 2014-06-13 Member: 196510Members
    The difference of playing between infestation and minimal infestation is huge. To improve it...maybe you can.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    Add a new tube model to the infestation that works like a decal somewhat and allways sticks to the ground, Plz UWE
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    That's dangerously close to hentai.
  • ChrisStarkChrisStark Germany Join Date: 2016-02-11 Member: 212895Members, NS2 Playtester
    Alright, made another nostalgia mod. The downside is that in order to use it, servers need to run it... The infestation material is protected by consistency checks

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|268:268&composite-to=*,*|268:268&background-color=black

For anyone who wants to see this ingame its currently online on Wooza's Playground.
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    ChrisStark wrote: »

For anyone who wants to see this ingame its currently online on Wooza's Playground.

Thanks, I will check it out. I just wish it could have little holes, or just transparency in many places so you can still see all of the mapping and the textures that is covering over in many places.
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    Checked it out but it still was ugly.
  • ZeroEarThZeroEarTh Singapore Join Date: 2014-07-01 Member: 197126Members
    edited June 2016
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Sherlock wrote: »
    I personally really like the look of rich infestation, and if I had a better rig, would keep my settings like that all the time.

I thought so as well, but turned it off after a while when I got a new rig:
    1. Infestations blobs sometimes obscure cysts so you can't see em as a marine.
    2. It doesn't represent real infestation spread, which is somewhat annoying when you are alien comm.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Mappers should have control of their maps infestation textures.
    Frozen wrote: »
    Mappers should have control of their maps infestation textures.

Yep, but the shader itself is rather shitty in any case in terms of how it get's painted onto models. Same goes for decals actually :o
    Are there plans to revamp the shader soon?
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited February 2017

There is a Trello you can check to find out.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    coolitic wrote: »

There is a Trello you can check to find out.

-> https://trello.com/unknownworlds
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2017
    ACK! @Comprox bbcode bug, "https" links don't get automatically converted
    Any news on the possibility of a graphical update to infestation yet?
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Nothing at the moment, sorry. And no, you're not the only one who thinks it is ugly. It's just super super difficult to make something like infestation look good AND run smoothly.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I tried playing with rich infestation the other day and I had the hardest time placing hydras as a gorge.
    edited February 2018
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Nothing at the moment, sorry. And no, you're not the only one who thinks it is ugly. It's just super super difficult to make something like infestation look good AND run smoothly.

hqdefault.jpg
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=pnaJLk8MhL4

I tried playing with rich infestation the other day and I had the hardest time placing hydras as a gorge.
    Rich world problems :trollface:
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Minimal infestation would be fine if the texture stretching was fixed and it didn't ignore glass.
    hfpuRGr.jpg

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

hqdefault.jpg
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=pnaJLk8MhL4

Rich world problems :trollface:

That looks really amazing... but I have a hard time believing that could be made to run fast enough to cover entire rooms. :(
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't know if you could revamp infestation without totally stripping the code and remaking it completely from scratch. I don't really know how NS2 is built but that might not even be possible at this point.
  • jrgnjrgn Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58289Members
    edited February 2018

Oh you mean the guy who organized bad reviews on ns2 on steam to promote his own servers?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    jrgn wrote: »

Oh you mean the guy who organized bad reviews on ns2 on steam to promote his own servers?

You're quoting a post from April 2016.

Not saying anything about the content of your post. Just pointing that out.