The Ghost Leviathan's finished model!

2»

Comments

• El_Leviatan_FantasmaEl_Leviatan_Fantasma Florida Join Date: 2017-02-19 Member: 228053Members
    so, The Lost River should be bigger then.. to put the Ghost/Phantom Leviathan? am i right? or we need to shrink the leviathan to fit The Lost River which is SUCK! anyway.. should the leviathan is invisible for a couple second like when the leviathan feel threaded and the leviathan turned invisible? and then a Jumpscare right at the back of your Seamoth/P.R.A.W.N with spooky sound coming from the leviathan itself.... oooh! or the leviathan is actually is not aggresive so no Jumpscare... OK

I've spawned Reaper Leviathans in the Lost River, both the Bones Field and the Ghost Forest, and they fit in the area just fine without any major movement problems. If the Phantom Leviathan is around the same size as the Reaper it would fit and move without any problems.

Also with what
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    Updates from discord:
    5d7f5ef4e7b3cd6aa2c977edf778504a.png
    926ce8cf7dc4a11266ec2eb98a4918b6.png
    341ec453da912175f8c4a574ef5c5df8.png

says, the Reaper setup or a modified version would work fine. The best way to do it would be to make all of its movements 50% or so slower than the Reaper's, so it would glide through the water at a more sedate pace, as fitting a creature of its design and locale where it would need to conserve energy, and it would make it so that it couldn't outrun and catch your Seamoth in such a confined space. Also have different face and mouth animations, of course.

Two Phantoms, one in the Lost Forest and one in the Bones Field, would be enough to have a nice danger level to the area.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    I've just had an idea for one of its abilities. I know it's never gonna be implemented because it's way too much work to do, but I need to share it anyways. It's an idea that I had a while ago, but now I'm wondering if it'd look (or rather not look, amirite? XD) good on the phantom leviathan. What do you think? ;)
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Or maybe give the Ghost Leviathan a simple to implement special attack and let the rest be reaper-like to avoid additional implementation work.

Special attacks that could be easy would be:
    • a permanent global radiation near the leviathan. If you left the rad suit back at the surface, you would need to go back.
    • the leviathan glows and then a global light pulse and your energy gets drained permanently by 10%.
    • a permanent global energy reduction near the leviathan. Maybe draining 1% energy or health every second near the leviathan.

There is a sea dragon skeleton with a damaged head on impact. So another possibility would be a force shockwave from the Ghost Leviathan.

My personal favor would be the Ghost Leviathan draining energy. He "normally" eats by draining power from nearby ion crystals.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Avimimus wrote: »
    Honestly, it'd be great if it was silent (or almost silent)... I mean, it is a ghost right? Spooky!
    Aww. I wanted it to have a radioactive aura.
    Maybe the Ghost Leviathan has some radiation aura that turns creatures into theirs skeletons in seconds, rotting their flesh in an instant. The Ghost Leviathan approaches a creature, then glows and emits a deadly aura that hits the creature, which starts to glow too until the model gets replaced with its skeleton version who sinks to the ground afterwards. The Ghost Leviathan has then consumed the energy of the creature and we now know all why the Lost River has so many skeletons lying around.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited February 2017
    They said won't be adding any special abilities in the discord post that I put up on page 1, so the things like radiation that instantly turns creatures into bones probably won't happen, which is one of the reasons why I think it should be passive, because the fancy abilities are the only way I could see this thing effectively attacking something. It has no arms, tentacles, mandibles, or even teeth, and it's mostly made up of a soft outer membrane.
  • El_Leviatan_FantasmaEl_Leviatan_Fantasma Florida Join Date: 2017-02-19 Member: 228053Members
    They said won't be adding any special abilities in the discord post that I put up on page 1, so the things like radiation that instantly turns creatures into bones probably won't happen, which is one of the reasons why I think it should be passive, because the fancy abilities are the only way I could see this thing effectively attacking something. It has no arms, tentacles, mandibles, or even teeth, and it's mostly made up of a soft outer membrane.

Open its mouth wide and suck you in if you're in a certain range of its mouth.
    edited February 2017
    I don't whether or not that would count as a "fancy ability".
    That attack would also likely only affect the player and maybe the Seamoth. Seeing as you're mostly intended to explore the Lost River with PRAWN and Cyclops, it might not be that useful of an attack to program.
    I don't weather or not that would count as a "fancy ability".
    That attack would also likely only affect the player and maybe the Seamoth. Seeing as you're mostly intended to explore the Lost River with PRAWN and Cyclops, it might not be that useful of an attack to program.

It doesn't really need anything fancy or weird as an attack. Physically ramming things and using suction to pull in prey works fine. And there will be times you'd need to exit your vehicles to do things which would leave you vulnerable, and it can do either similar damage to the PRAWN that the Reaper does or more than the Reaper but less than the Sea Dragon by sucking it into its mouth and squeezing it for a few seconds then spitting it back out. As for the Seamoth, it's still useful in the Lost River until you reach the Giant Tree Cove, which is basically the end of the River.
    edited February 2017
    It doesn't really need anything fancy or weird as an attack. Physically ramming things and using suction to pull in prey works fine.
    I know. I was saying that I don't know if suction would be defined as a "fancy ability" to the devs, because they said they "do not have time for fancy abilities."

And there will be times you'd need to exit your vehicles to do things which would leave you vulnerable, and it can do either similar damage to the PRAWN that the Reaper does or more than the Reaper but less than the Sea Dragon by sucking it into its mouth and squeezing it for a few seconds then spitting it back out. As for the Seamoth, it's still useful in the Lost River until you reach the Giant Tree Cove, which is basically the end of the River.

For it to be able to suck the PRAWN into it's mouth would mean that it would have to be massive (about the size that was in the concept art), but the Lost River (other than maybe the Ghost Forest) simply isn't big enough to handle a hostile creature that size. The only way I could see this thing working at a size even close to that would be if it was passive and possibly on a set path around the River. An aggressive free roaming creature that size in the Lost River would likely just be annoying and awkward.

As for headbutting it looks too soft and squishy to do any damage a large metal object like the Cyclops or PRAWN with a headbutt.
    For it to be able to suck the PRAWN into it's mouth would mean that it would have to be massive (about the size that was in the concept art), but the Lost River (other than maybe the Ghost Forest) simply isn't big enough to handle a hostile creature that size. The only way I could see this thing working at a size even close to that would be if it was passive and possibly on a set path around the River. An aggressive free roaming creature that size in the Lost River would likely just be annoying and awkward.

As for headbutting it looks too soft and squishy to do any damage a large metal object like the Cyclops or PRAWN with a headbutt.

Maybe not envelop the PRAWN completely in its mouth, then, but just pull it in and give it a chomp that damages and pushes the suit away, and same for the Seamoth. As for its physiology it can have tough skin and the flesh/fluid/whatever inside can be dense and firm, it would still need protection from the River Stalkers and acidic brine. That much dense flesh wrapped in tough skin could knock around a vehicle or PRAWN.
  • Aviator1945Aviator1945 Appleton, WI Join Date: 2017-01-02 Member: 225904Members
    It's sounds need to be complete nightmare fuel, but otherwise fairly quiet.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited February 2017
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited February 2017
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    (skip to 20s)

Isn't the ocean just lovely.
    Also, this is what the Sandshark should be.
    Skope wrote: »
    ... Also, this is what the Sandshark should be.

Don't know why you put it in a spoiler. The devs never made it real. Instead giving the sand plains and the red weeds a hunter like the boneshark or bigger swarms of biters and turning the sandshark into such a digging monster that silently waits for prey to get near, they decided to make the sandshark the main hunter that also tries to dig.

@0x6A7232
    Don't know why someone thinks the Ghost Leviathan could ever attack in such a way, but the only surprise of a glowing or translucent creature I can think of that is able to surprise is:

The Ghost Leviathan is almost 100% translucent luring in the dark and waiting for someone to get near. Then he suddenly glows bright and attacks. Which I think should be a ray or acid burn down to the bones of incredible scale to make it a bit creepy for the Cyclops to get through the Lost River and make us feel knowing why there are so many skeletons at the Lost River. It's the domain of the Ghost Leviathan, a ghost that appears out of nowhere to bring down unwary creatures who thought they were safe.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    They added it to the February update, and it's DONE! I don't know if this means we're getting it in the February update (possibly today) or not, but I'm STOKED!

Evidence:
    https://trello.com/c/71s3kJ0J/6198-ghost-leviathan

2ylr36lh5qqk.png
    edited February 2017
    I think that's just the model and rigging that is done. They still probably have to animate and make AI, unless they're a lot farther along than we thought and are really fast.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    edited February 2017
    I think that's just the model and rigging that is done. They still probably have to animate and make AI, unless they're a lot farther along than we thought and are really fast.

Let's hope they ARE going that fast. Anyway, this gives a MUCH better chance of it getting in. You're probably right, though. I'm a programmer, and it takes a TON of time. That's the main reason I prefer doing art for games than the programming. Much too tedious.
    Model done, rigging is in doing and could get done till 28th or 1st March. But the problem is that even if they reuse all the Reaper animations, I assume they still need time for them to implement/adapt into the Ghost. And some animations like glowing and attack grip would have to be differently implemented. Finally even if they clone most of the Reaper behaviour for implementation to speed up programming, it will take time.

I think we can be glad if the Ghost gets inside in the next 2 updates.