FPS lags, freezes with good specs. HALP.

al3kseial3ksei Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223730Members
Hello there,

I'm having a huge problem. I used to play on a low i5 proc with a geforce 560 and ye, it wasn't that bad but meh could be better (~30/40fps). I've recently bought a brand new computer with some nice stuff : i7 6700k 4.00 Ghz, geforce 1060 6GB and running with a SSD. I was like so HYPED to test this computer with the gorgeous Subnautica but here comes the problems.

Started a new game, everything going smooth (+100fps) until some hours. Once I scanned, build the seaglide and going further into the game i've noticed some real performance issues which shouldn't happen with my current specs. FPS Spikes going from 100 to 30/20. Some 10/20 seconds freezes and so on. In some areas i've over 80 fps and 15/20 in others. I really don't get it..

I'd really appreciate if someone could help me and explain what's going on. Feel free to ask me more informations about my computer if needed.

Thank you.

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Are you on experimental?
  • al3kseial3ksei Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223730Members
    Try experimental, see if it helps, <<you can LOAD, but DON'T hit SAVE unless you want to stay on experimental!!>>, and if it doesn't help, just switch back to normal.

Also, there's a guide for keeping saves between updates, it's in my sig under clearing cache (the trick for keeping saves is clearing the cache and one other thing).
  • WarzouzWarzouz Join Date: 2016-11-05 Member: 223674Members
    Hi,

I'm playing through my second game. I agree with the original post. At the start every thing is going smoothly, but the longer you play and explore, the more lag spikes you have. Some lasts several seconds without any frame displayed.

Strangely those spikes occurs around the area you visit the most. I recently went to the aurora and had no freeze. But when I came back to my station, I got heavy ones.

Freeze are also longer when you pilot the seamoth, compared to mere swiming.

BTW my base is very small (2 stacked rooms, 2 corridors, a bioreactor, some plants (one pot of each), wall lockers and usual fab, battery recharger, one exterior growbed with vines
    Maybe it's the changes to the terrain (picking up loot in the Aurora, for example) -- loading the changes has a bug or is very unoptimized, causing the issue. Just a guess.
  • WarzouzWarzouz Join Date: 2016-11-05 Member: 223674Members
    edited November 2016
    Well the aurora was only an example, it's true from every location you go. The more you explore, the longer the freeze are when you come back. En the end, freeze ar so long that the game crashes. Cleaning the save does help a bit but freeze come back fast.

I started playing subnautica at the previous release, I seems this problem came with the current version. I didn't noticed anything on the last one.

BTW, changing graphic options to a minimum don't change anything.
    Did you follow the updated guide or just delete the two cache folders?
    This isn't an old saved game. I started a new one with my new computer but I still followed your guide. Unfortunately FPS is still really low than it should be (around 30/40).

Any other suggestions, please ?
    Computer isn't in power saving mode, right?
    Search for 'Power Options' in the start menu.
    Nah, it's in normal mode.
    edited November 2016
    You could try high performance, just in case. See the end of the article here:

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/comparing-power-saver-balanced-high-performance-modes-in-windows/

If you do go high performance, hit 'change plan settings' and customize anything you don't like (like screen always on, never sleep, etc).
  • Fixxer182Fixxer182 Germany Join Date: 2016-11-12 Member: 223822Members
    Hi guys,

I have the same problem about freezes, crashes and massive framedrops like you!

At the beginning of my first game in Oct 2016 i had 122fps with an AMD HD7870.
    But after some Hours i had between 10 to 60fps.
    So I had buy a new GPU. at the beginning i had 146fps, but know the same 10 to 60fps in all visited bioms.
    Frezzes while driving seamotte or diving for some seconds or so long thats the game crushes.

My Hardware is quite good enough so i think thats a game internal bug or that the game have some problems with my hardware drivers.

My System

CPU: I7-3820 4x 3,6Ghz (8 Threads)
    GPU: ASUS DUAL OC GTX 1060 with 6GB VRAM
    RAM: 64GB
    SSD: ADATA SX910 512GB

More than enough for this brilland game. All drivers are the newest and all systemupdates are installed.

PS: A friend of mine have the same System but with an gtx970, he doesn't have some frame drops or something else.
    For a temporary fix, there's a couple of links in my signature.
  • jpinardjpinard Join Date: 2016-09-17 Member: 222373Members
    What we need is for the developers to fix this. Not workarounds. I haven't seen a single comment from them saying they're taking the performance issues seriously and actually working on them. Crashes? yes. performance? no.
    edited November 2016
    i've hope that they working on a performace fix for the fps drops and lags.

If I overclocked my i7 3820 to 4,8ghz it will be better, the drops are not going to 10fps but to 15 :smiley:

I think thats that is not the right way :smiley:
    i want to upload my save game, with dxdiag and output file today.

In my output file is written: "VR: Oculus could not be loaded:" I dont have a VR :neutral:
    That's fine, send it anyways (I think that's just stating that VR support isn't present, which, of course it's not if you're not playing VR mode)
  • RabRab Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223890Members
    I found the seamoth is lagging me. I thought it was any vehicle but I was checking while they were docked in the sub. I undocked and tried each individual vehicle, sub and prawn seem to be running ok but soon as I hop in the seamoth my fps drops so choppy that I don't even want to use it anymore.
    Another glitch I've found, while in the prawn when my video is set to low the ground doesn't draw fast enough and I drop through the ground into a never ending fall. Happened where my lifepod was once and I managed to get to something solid at around 2400 or 2700 or so deep. There's some bad bad things down there.
  • FlixFlix Join Date: 2016-11-16 Member: 223912Members
    I am new to Subnautica. Just bought it 2 days ago and have over 17 hours gameplay already. I get this same issue and I have no previous version saves as I just got the game. My computer specs are close to what the OP's are and I sometimes get ~10 second freezes. Most freezes occur in the seamoth and very little issues just swimming or piloting the cyclops.
    I have find out that if you play the game with active V-SYNC that the fps are more instabil than if you play without V-SYNC.

With V-SYNC the FPS drops between 60fps and 15fps also 75%!
    Ok its much more rare than one and a half month before but the drops quite there.

Without V-SYNC the fps are more stabil. Between 90 and 60 also only 33%.

• Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    edited February 2017
    February 21st update notes.
    Fix performance after 10-20 hour save game. <-- Somehow related to the seamoth.

As for anything else causing framerate loss, that is likely an optimization problem.
    Crewman87 wrote: »
    February 21st update notes.
    Fix performance after 10-20 hour save game. <-- Somehow related to the seamoth.

As for anything else causing framerate loss, that is likely an optimization problem.

I think (but I hope I'm wrong) that we may have more than one problem that needs stomping. You can never build a Seamoth and still suffer performance loss after 10-20 hours IIRC. :/ But, one bug at a time!
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    edited February 2017
    @0x6A7232 Yeah I agree. Looking at the development Trello it looks like wrecks are the next issue.

The devs description mentions "Especially the wreck situation in batch 14, 18, 15." so I assume it's related to the stacking wrecks.

In regards to your question on another topic.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    It's confirmed they fixed the 'moth issues? There's AFAIK a few issues, such as CellsCache bogging down after a lot of resource collection. If they fixed them all in one go, I'd be really happy though. xD

In the spoiler is a screenshot, which it looks like it was moved up to the Feb 21st patch. However I can only assume this myself. I am sure nothing is guaranteed but I am optimistic.
    Untitled_1.jpg
  • neelneel Join Date: 2017-02-16 Member: 227968Members
    edited February 2017
    Here is how I improved framerate A LOT and prevented almost all crashes:

I play with occulus CV1 and like many others (even those on monitors) my game started having very low FPS, long hangs and crashes and this was getting worse the more I played, built stuff and collected items.

I have the game installed on harddrive, what I did was just placing the savegame folder (SNAppData) on my SDD and creating a symbolic link to it in the game folder on the harddrive.

After doing this framerate was MUCH improved, and almost no more hangs and crashes. And I have now lot of stuff (large base, seamoth, cyclops, prawn suit, lot of collected items).

Here is how to do this:

Let say E is your harddrive where the game is intalled and C your SSD drive.

- rename your SNAppData folder to SNAppData.bak
    - open a command line window (preferably in administrator mode, not sure if required)
    - type: mklink /D E:\your_subnautica_folder_path\SNAppData C:\SNAppData
    - move SNAppData.bak to C: and remove the .bak in the folder name

Note:
    - if any of your path contains one or more spaces you must enclose this path into quotes ("your path with spaces").
    - after doing the mklink command a SNAppData folder shortcut (symbolic link) should be created in your subnautica folder
    - idk if this could also benefit users who already have their game installed on SSD. If you have more than one SDD you can try to place the savegame folder on another SDD than the one with the game using the same method as above.
    - as always, make a backup of your savegame folder (compressing it into a RAR file makes it much smaller ! Almost 5x smaller)
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    That seems like an awfully long way round to installing SN on a SSD, if I have read that right. It wasn't easy to understand.
    You often cannot install all your games to your SSD if you have a small size SDD, or just several huge games. My assetto corsa folder alone takes 40GB...
    Myrm wrote: »
    That seems like an awfully long way round to installing SN on a SSD, if I have read that right. It wasn't easy to understand.
    neel wrote: »
    Here is how I improved framerate A LOT and prevented almost all crashes:

I play with occulus CV1 and like many others (even those on monitors) my game started having very low FPS, long hangs and crashes and this was getting worse the more I played, built stuff and collected items.

I have the game installed on harddrive, what I did was just placing the savegame folder (SNAppData) on my SDD and creating a symbolic link to it in the game folder on the harddrive.

After doing this framerate was MUCH improved, and almost no more hangs and crashes. And I have now lot of stuff (large base, seamoth, cyclops, prawn suit, lot of collected items).

Here is how to do this:

Let say E is your harddrive where the game is intalled and C your SSD drive.

- rename your SNAppData folder to SNAppData.bak
    - open a command line window (preferably in administrator mode, not sure if required)
    - type: mklink /D E:\your_subnautica_folder_path\SNAppData C:\SNAppData
    - move SNAppData.bak to C: and remove the .bak in the folder name

Note:
    - if any of your path contains one or more spaces you must enclose this path into quotes ("your path with spaces").
    - after doing the mklink command a SNAppData folder shortcut (symbolic link) should be created in your subnautica folder
    - idk if this could also benefit users who already have their game installed on SSD. If you have more than one SDD you can try to place the savegame folder on another SDD than the one with the game using the same method as above.
    - as always, make a backup of your savegame folder (compressing it into a RAR file makes it much smaller ! Almost 5x smaller)

Steam now has a built-in option to move games to a different drive without re-installing now. You have to create a Steam Library on the drive you want to move to, and then right-click the game and hit Properties, local files (if you made the Steam Library just then, you have to restart Steam for the option to show up here).
    edited February 2017
    Steam now has a built-in option to move games to a different drive without re-installing now. You have to create a Steam Library on the drive you want to move to, and then right-click the game and hit Properties, local files (if you made the Steam Library just then, you have to restart Steam for the option to show up here).

You don't get it. The explained method is not for moving the game folder but the save folder only, leaving the game folder where it is.

This is for people who have a ssd but installed SN on harddrive. The many write access to create the save files while playing is one of the reasons for poor framerate when it's done on harddrive, so it helps a lot to move the save folder on ssd with a symbolic link.

The game will still "think" this save folder is on harddrive, where it originay was, but windows will make like a bridge so when the game asks to write there the data are written in the save folder you made on ssd, vastly improving performance without using as many space as when installing the whole game on ssd.
    neel wrote: »

You don't get it. The explained method is not for moving the game folder but the save folder only, leaving the game folder where it is.

This is for people who have a ssd but installed SN on harddrive. The many write access to create the save files while playing is one of the reasons for poor framerate when it's done on harddrive, so it helps a lot to move the save folder on ssd with a symbolic link.

The game will still "think" this save folder is on harddrive, where it originay was, but windows will make like a bridge so when the game asks to write there the data are written in the save folder you made on ssd, vastly improving performance without using as many space as when installing the whole game on ssd.

I do get it. What possible reason other than lack of space would make you want to do that, instead of moving the entire game to the SSD?