Please give the Cyclops sonar capabilities

BonaldBonald Fartzville Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213887Members
The Cyclops has terrible visibility problems compared to the Seamoth, and navigating the canyons and tunnels around the ILZ/Grand Reef or anywhere deep is a complete nightmare. Any kind of wireframe-revealing sonar like the one the Seamoth has would be a massive improvement. Thanks!

Comments

• ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    edited February 2017
    Wouldn't a 3rd person camera with the ability to zoom a little bit further out help in navigating the cyclops? Maybe let it have a camera drone for that purpose and enough lights to see what is around you, so you don't crash into something "out of the blue" so to speak.
  • EternalGolemEternalGolem Join Date: 2016-11-04 Member: 223650Members
    What if the Cyclops had its own scanner room, of course this is a module, that gave it 2 camera drones. The table would be in front of the engines but behind the lock. There would be a lever or button that allows for a sonar pulse just like the seamoth.
  • Dark_ZeridotDark_Zeridot Join Date: 2017-02-06 Member: 227672Members
    Wouldn't a 3rd person camera with the ability to zoom a little bit further out help in navigating the cyclops? Maybe let it have a camera drone for that purpose and enough lights to see what is around you, so you don't crash into something "out of the blue" so to speak.
    What if the Cyclops had its own scanner room, of course this is a module, that gave it 2 camera drones. The table would be in front of the engines but behind the lock. There would be a lever or button that allows for a sonar pulse just like the seamoth.

The cyclops has 3 camera drones with adjustable lighting. Whilst piloting the sub, look to your left and look for a little icon. When you find it, click. You should be sent to the first camera. Click to cycle lights (off, slightly on, on) or scroll to change cameras.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members

The cyclops has 3 camera drones with adjustable lighting. Whilst piloting the sub, look to your left and look for a little icon. When you find it, click. You should be sent to the first camera. Click to cycle lights (off, slightly on, on) or scroll to change cameras.

Those aren't drones, they're camera turrets. Drones can actually detatch and move around (like the ones in the Scanner Room). Still, not everyone knows about the camera turrets, so it's a good thing you brought it up.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members

I was not talking about the "fixed" cameras the Cyclops has. I meant a free camera drone like you have in MechWarriorOnline one that you can "zoom out/move" to get a more distant view from your sub, to get a better overlook of your surroundings. One you could circle your sub with, without the need to manually launch and retrieve it. It should be an option. You switch to 3rd person cam and the drone leaves your Cyclops and stops at a certain distance facing your current view direction. After that short launch moment you could controll it to "fly" closer to your Cyclops or to circle around it. Kinde like a free camera just a bit restricted in its movement speed and the distance it can keep to your Cyclops.

I was not talking about the "fixed" cameras the Cyclops has. I meant a free camera drone like you have in MechWarriorOnline one that you can "zoom out/move" to get a more distant view from your sub, to get a better overlook of your surroundings. One you could circle your sub with, without the need to manually launch and retrieve it. It should be an option. You switch to 3rd person cam and the drone leaves your Cyclops and stops at a certain distance facing your current view direction. After that short launch moment you could controll it to "fly" closer to your Cyclops or to circle around it. Kinde like a free camera just a bit restricted in its movement speed and the distance it can keep to your Cyclops.

They already have these in the Scanner Room, so a Scanner upgrade for the Cyclops would be amazing.
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    I swear I saw this on Trello somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it. So I either misunderstood or imagined it.
  • fallennight1986fallennight1986 texas Join Date: 2016-12-21 Member: 225320Members
    maybe also give it a torpedo bay like the seamoth just make it use the standerd subnautica torpedoes.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    They already have these in the Scanner Room, so a Scanner upgrade for the Cyclops would be amazing.

I seem to confuse people with what I write lately. I don't mean the player controlled drones we already have. Sorry for not making that clear enough. I'd really like to see a 3rd person cam (based on something like those scanner drones for being compatible with the current lore) but you should keep controlling the Cyclops while you would change your view with the mouse. Like a relativly free 3rd person cam you have for an outside view in other games. That way you could overview the Cyclops 360° wise and zoom a bit further out to check for any obstacles in your way for example. That would make navigating your sub way easier.

The drone would have kind of one fix-point on which it could rotate and zoom your view around the sub. Just think of how 3rd person cams work in other games. I hope that make things clearer now. ;)
    edited February 2017

I seem to confuse people with what I write lately. I don't mean the player controlled drones we already have. Sorry for not making that clear enough. I'd really like to see a 3rd person cam (based on something like those scanner drones for being compatible with the current lore) but you should keep controlling the Cyclops while you would change your view with the mouse. Like a relativly free 3rd person cam you have for an outside view in other games. That way you could overview the Cyclops 360° wise and zoom a bit further out to check for any obstacles in your way for example. That would make navigating your sub way easier.

The drone would have kind of one fix-point on which it could rotate and zoom your view around the sub. Just think of how 3rd person cams work in other games. I hope that make things clearer now. ;)

I see. You want a chase cam drone. I think that's a cool idea! And then you can position the drone where you want it in relation to the Cyclops, and then have it follow behind (or in front) of you from that point relative to the Cyclops while you pilot. Only thing is people would run it into walls, but, well, they do that anyways with the Cyclops now, and you can always make more drones if you don't repair it in time.
  • BonaldBonald Fartzville Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213887Members
    A camera drone would be cool and would partially solve the issue, but it wouldn't address the very short light radius the Cyclops has when navigating deep, dark tunnels. Sonar or riot!
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Empyrion has this little flying drone you can use to build a planetside base without a jetpack. A tiny camera/construction drone would be neat, but the SN inventory system doesn't lend itself to that, at all.

I do think the Cyclops needs ALL THE TOYS, though. Camera drones, reactor, ability to modify/offload minisubs without getting wet, scanner, water purifier.
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    Empyrion has this little flying drone you can use to build a planetside base without a jetpack. A tiny camera/construction drone would be neat, but the SN inventory system doesn't lend itself to that, at all.

I do think the Cyclops needs ALL THE TOYS, though. Camera drones, reactor, ability to modify/offload minisubs without getting wet, scanner, water purifier.

No one would ever build a base.
  • Carl_BarCarl_Bar Join Date: 2017-02-03 Member: 227560Members

Assuming they were upgrades with appropriate costs, yeah they would. Because you'd have to spend most of the game without them. But as endgame thingies, they'd be awesome to have.
    Carl_Bar wrote: »

Assuming they were upgrades with appropriate costs, yeah they would. Because you'd have to spend most of the game without them. But as endgame thingies, they'd be awesome to have.

If you made it insanely expensive, mayhaps. And able to be damaged (not destroyed, just sunk and you have to go recover it).
  • Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
    Definitely a must. Even with the cameras and flood lights I have trouble navigating narrow channels.

Just now, I piloted my Cyclops down into the Lost River. Navigating into it is possible but very tricky because, with my current hardware, the bottom of the Blood Kelp biome (where the entrance is located) is so dark you can't see the Lost River entrance until you're inside it. A sonar upgrade module would make finding my way in a lot easier.
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    I just want a coffee machine on my cyclops.
    Phoenix223 wrote: »
    Definitely a must. Even with the cameras and flood lights I have trouble navigating narrow channels.

Just now, I piloted my Cyclops down into the Lost River. Navigating into it is possible but very tricky because, with my current hardware, the bottom of the Blood Kelp biome (where the entrance is located) is so dark you can't see the Lost River entrance until you're inside it. A sonar upgrade module would make finding my way in a lot easier.

Just a hunch: are you missing things from the updates? Sounds like you've got an early, non-populated version of the lost river. If that's the case, get out of that area (so stuff isn't put into your Cyclops), save, then move the CompiledOctreesCache folder out of your SavedGames\slot00xx folder (I'd say delete it, but just in case..). This will cause the game to regenerate the world terrain.

If you've got old bases that removed dirt, the dirt will be inside them again. spawn a Terraformer with
    item 514

and shift-right-click the dirt out.
  • ant_fioant_fio Join Date: 2017-01-26 Member: 227275Members
    edited February 2017
    Back to the Cyclops sonar room/upgrade concept, it seems like part of the balance might occur at the point you're running out of places to place things in the Cyclops, given its real estate. Maybe it could be an internal upgrade similar to the Moonpool's vehicle upgrade console, where you must build it within a specific point. But those anchor points are part of the modular design of the Moonpool and would have to be completely ported to work inside the cyclops. That said, maybe some sort of HUD overlay on your tower-cameras to relay perspective would be an easier "form" of this upgrade. It would place it more in your line of sight, as the Seaglide does, and be present generally rather than an explicit check-and-dive.

I like the idea of being able to remote control drones/drones in general. It feels like more could be done with it, if the scanner room concept were expounded on.

In playing games and reading forums, I have learned that some people ALWAYS want to build bases. Almost regardless of what game it is. FPS, RTS, RPG, simulation, strategy, whatever. No matter what, if the game isn't about building bases, someone will eventually chime in about wanting to build a base.

Plus, a stack of MFRs offers WAY more slots for various things. And I'm NOT suggesting that the Cyclops should get an alien containment.
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    personally: i wish the cameras appeared on the model.

Sure they would, but a independent mobile base would be great. A reactor upgrade for the Cyclops is something I really would like to see implemented. If a reactor would be too op then maybe one of the other "submarine" energy producing upgrades? Solar charging or thermal reactor when in hot enough water. That would help too.

Sure we got the Ion power cells but they are rather late game, rare and they still force you to charge them or use the power cell charger bug/glitch when build in the Cyclops, that lets you load them without draining the same ammount from the remaining cells. My Favorite would be a Solar or thermal (maybe even both) solution as a recharge option for the Cyclops.

Sure they would, but a independent mobile base would be great. A reactor upgrade for the Cyclops is something I really would like to see implemented. If a reactor would be too op then maybe one of the other "submarine" energy producing upgrades? Solar charging or thermal reactor when in hot enough water. That would help too.

Sure we got the Ion power cells but they are rather late game, rare and they still force you to charge them or use the power cell charger bug/glitch when build in the Cyclops, that lets you load them without draining the same ammount from the remaining cells. My Favorite would be a Solar or thermal (maybe even both) solution as a recharge option for the Cyclops.

Notion:
    Thermal harpoon turret for the Cyclops. Launches a harpoon into a head source, and uses the temperature difference between the harpoon head and relatively cool tail fins to generate electricity. Retracted automatically if the Cyclops moves off, or if the turret retracts it via the cable connecting to Cyclops. Very limited range because firing a projectile connected to a tether does not work very well. Reusable.
    edited February 2017
    Notion:
    Thermal harpoon turret for the Cyclops. Launches a harpoon into a head source, and uses the temperature difference between the harpoon head and relatively cool tail fins to generate electricity. Retracted automatically if the Cyclops moves off, or if the turret retracts it via the cable connecting to Cyclops. Very limited range because firing a projectile connected to a tether does not work very well. Reusable.

Nice idea but I would rather see a thermal solution by "parking" or "driving" your Cyclops in/through hot water or closer to the surface if it were a solar solution, then a Harpoon like device.

Since we do not see a change in the seamoth or the P.R.A.W.N. when you fit the power producing upgrade to them (yet), I think the devs would rather like to implement a simple upgrade which does not need much work. Not that they are lazy or something but your idea would need way more work. They would need to design a kind of turret plus the harpoon and cable and a little "charging" effect for it. And you may have the negative side effect that players will try to use that as a weapon. So they would have to make it harmless to the fauna if they wanna stay true to their rather weaponless approach.