[Feature idea] Large creatures in the void

RazorLilyRazorLily Norway Join Date: 2017-02-06 Member: 227674Members
edited February 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions
[General]
my idea is to prevent players from entering the void/making it scarier so they are more likely to keep away from it, as it kind of would make sense to a biome with nothingness. A creature which might be slightly larger than the reaper leviathan/sea dragon, and will be patrolling at a depth around 300/400 meters everywhere in it's respective side. And one of those monsters placed on each side (NSWE). Once a player enters the void from a side (regardless where exactly), then the monster from the respective side will attempt to pursue the player, but first will give off warning noises which heatens up the atmosphere in the pitch black depths, and if the player still finds him/herself in the location, the monster will appear from nothing and behave like a reaper would. It can be scannable, could act neutral for a while, but itself is the most aggressive one (hence to keep the player out of the void). The cyclops can be breached by the monster, the seamoth.. (ya'll know how it will end).
This would give the void more sense and also not to be just a empty fall into nothingness.

[Monster]
The "monster" could be a leviathan-class predator, size could vary between the Reaper and the Sea Dragon (possibly larger, by the nature of it living in the void) Name suggestions would be great (my shit imagination at it's finest)
- Ability to crush the seamoth in one bite (so will the player die)
- Only creature to hurt the cyclops by breaching it (possibly seabases if someone dared to go build a base reaching from the walls of the void)
- Immune to stasis rifle/effect last very shortly.
- Can keep pursuing the player till he/she is back inside the regular biomes.
Could have 4 giant fin-type of propulsion, inspired from the aquatic dinosaurs, but I'm sure there are great concept arts for such huge creature ideas!

Any other suggestions would be nice, as this would really spice up the thoughts about the void!

Comments

• DracobombaDracobomba Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215502Members
    edited February 2017
    I believe they plan to fill the void with reapers and sea dragon leviathans in order to keep the player out.

That, or they'll impose a sort of natural border to prevent the player from going there.

I would certainly love for them to implement a gigantic monster there, though. Something scripted that basically tells the player "no, you shouldn't ever go there."
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    I'd put in increasingly stronger undercurrents there which drag you down if you turn back in time until you reach crush depth, everything leaks, floods and you drown. Just give one or more warning messages before that happens so you have a chance to turn back, even if you're a stubborn one.
  • RazorLilyRazorLily Norway Join Date: 2017-02-06 Member: 227674Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    I'd put in increasingly stronger undercurrents there which drag you down if you turn back in time until you reach crush depth, everything leaks, floods and you drown. Just give one or more warning messages before that happens so you have a chance to turn back, even if you're a stubborn one.

Yeah, kind of would make sense if it's just a steep dive into nothing. As cool as it would been to have gigantic creatures lurking around, since it would really fit the overall game atmosphere..

I guess it's easier for the devs to do the underwater currents instead. Or put a bunch of reapers/sea dragon leviathans as @Dracobomba mentioned.
  • wowwinkwowwink Merica Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224596Members
    RazorLily wrote: »
    [General]
    my idea is to prevent players from entering the void/making it scarier so they are more likely to keep away from it, as it kind of would make sense to a biome with nothingness. A creature which might be slightly larger than the reaper leviathan/sea dragon, and will be patrolling at a depth around 300/400 meters everywhere in it's respective side. And one of those monsters placed on each side (NSWE). Once a player enters the void from a side (regardless where exactly), then the monster from the respective side will attempt to pursue the player, but first will give off warning noises which heatens up the atmosphere in the pitch black depths, and if the player still finds him/herself in the location, the monster will appear from nothing and behave like a reaper would. It can be scannable, could act neutral for a while, but itself is the most aggressive one (hence to keep the player out of the void). The cyclops can be breached by the monster, the seamoth.. (ya'll know how it will end).
    This would give the void more sense and also not to be just a empty fall into nothingness.

[Monster]
    The "monster" could be a leviathan-class predator, size could vary between the Reaper and the Sea Dragon (possibly larger, by the nature of it living in the void) Name suggestions would be great (my shit imagination at it's finest)
    - Ability to crush the seamoth in one bite (so will the player die)
    - Only creature to hurt the cyclops by breaching it (possibly seabases if someone dared to go build a base reaching from the walls of the void)
    - Immune to stasis rifle/effect last very shortly.
    - Can keep pursuing the player till he/she is back inside the regular biomes.
    Could have 4 giant fin-type of propulsion, inspired from the aquatic dinosaurs, but I'm sure there are great concept arts for such huge creature ideas!

Any other suggestions would be nice, as this would really spice up the thoughts about the void!

May I just say I love your profile picture!
  • RazorLilyRazorLily Norway Join Date: 2017-02-06 Member: 227674Members
    wowwink wrote: »
    May I just say I love your profile picture!

Why thank you :D

• ArcticWarriorArcticWarrior Join Date: 2017-01-27 Member: 227305Members
    edited February 2017
    I think it would be cool to have something in the void, but it really won't stop players from going down there, at least in survival. In creative you can go as deep as you want

I'm not saying it's a bad idea though :smile:
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    I definitely agree that there should be some sort of plesiosaur-looking monster in the void. Probably sea dragon leviathan sized or bigger.

As long as it gives off an INCREDIBLY OBVIOUS "GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE" sound effect before the player gets too close, I think that this is a really good idea.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Apparently of the Ghost Leviathan gets added it will most likely be viod exulsive
  • El_Leviatan_FantasmaEl_Leviatan_Fantasma Florida Join Date: 2017-02-19 Member: 228053Members
    Apparently of the Ghost Leviathan gets added it will most likely be viod exulsive

I really hope not, that would be a waste. The various Lost River areas are large enough to easily accommodate the Phantom Leviathan if it's around the same size as the Reaper and its movement speed was made half that of the Reaper. At least the Bones Field and the Ghost Forest could hold a Phantom each.