Female character

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2017
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    I feel that's a bit over dramatic though :D

I just... Dammit Kouji! :D I want to have a proper discussion on the internet, just one time!

impossibru!
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited February 2017
    This is the poll that the dev made about the female character. He says more about it in the comments.

You can also see two other devs, Hugh Jeremy and Cory Strader, in the comments.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    This is the poll that Charlie (lead dev) made about the female character
    You can also see another dev, Hugh Jeremy (who I think is primarily the PR guy) in the comments.

Of course, improve the core game before adding the female option, but it would be a good post 1.0 option.
  • SpongedogSpongedog Texas, United States Join Date: 2017-01-09 Member: 226461Members
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    This is the poll that Charlie (lead dev) made about the female character
    You can also see another dev, Hugh Jeremy (who I think is primarily the PR guy) in the comments.

Oh, that's not as bad as I thought it would be. I don't think it was one or the other, I think it was which one you wanted right then. He did say stuff in the comments like "Cutting" content which wasn't in the best taste, but overall I think he was just frustrated with something.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2017
    Hmm a bit of a poor choice in words perhaps, but I see nothing offending there. It's just a question, but it is also exactly one year later now (tomorrow vs 9 Feb 2016)

The way it was worded makes it seem like some kind of herculean task to add something which is a relatively small feature :o
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    All right, before I get accused of telling lies... yes, the poll is worded poorly, but the dev's replies are where I see the real problem: from insisting that adding female model would take enough effort to warrant cutting out a big part of the planned content, to outright stating that granting female players the same level of immersion that male players can enjoy would bring... little benefit.

edmo33bwyg37.jpg

This is what I was referring to in my first post and no, I did not want to turn this conversation into hounding one developer over something he tweeted a year ago - that's why I didn't bring up any names. Now that someone else did that anyway, I felt the need to clarify.

• moronwsubmarinemoronwsubmarine Austin, TX Join Date: 2016-12-16 Member: 225030Members
    Yeah, I don't buy it either. You need to add what, 1 screen to choose between a male and female character? It could even be done as a checkbox when selecting difficulty - it's not like they plan a massive facial sculpting system. That tweet showed they already had a model, so it needed to be rigged and textured, which is a week, tops, for an animator and an artist. That doesn't effect "core systems" - those aren't going to be done by the same person. Changing the Gravsphere and air bladder models and animations is probably about as difficult.
  • DracobombaDracobomba Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215502Members
    While I think it would be nice, it's probably unnecessary. I'm sure they'll implement this somewhere around or after 1.0 though.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    All I see from those comments is that people tried to bully the dev and are then unhappy he didn't roll over.
  • Mr_EndarMr_Endar Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213859Members
    from insisting that adding female model would take enough effort to warrant cutting out a big part of the planned content, to outright stating that granting female players the same level of immersion that male players can enjoy would bring... little benefit.
    You've made how many video games exactly?
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    I don't think the developer meant to come across as he did, he was just trying to express the difficulty in making this change. The time to work on this change would have to come from somewhere, and I highly doubt it's the "few days" someone mentioned. Difficulty that is hard to see from a distance can creep up when you get up close to it.

I do hope they are able to get the female character released soon after v1.0.
  • fallennight1986fallennight1986 texas Join Date: 2016-12-21 Member: 225320Members
    i agree and a female can and probably will come in time but first let them finish with the major issues bugs glitchs crashs. i get people want gender choice and dev never said straight no just not yet.
    edited February 2017
    narfblat wrote: »
    I don't think the developer meant to come across as he did, he was just trying to express the difficulty in making this change. The time to work on this change would have to come from somewhere, and I highly doubt it's the "few days" someone mentioned.

It should definitely not take more than a few days if they have the model ready and textured. It is basically nothing more than a model replacement, they should be able to recycle and maybe tweak the animations from the original character. All the work is technically already there, it's should just be a matter of hooking it up and creating a GUI which let's you choose you character and adding in some female sounding sounds.

If this truly takes anything more than a week, there's something wrong with this engine design on how things work and are hooked up... Surely they prototype this stuff and have libraries already in place for easy access and development :o

Also you can't compared it to adding a scripted events, that in itself is already more work. let alone adding another biome, which would indeed take A LOT longer to create with them handcrafting it, not to mention all the extra fish and static models which have to be textured, with some of them using those swaying animations.

but they did say they'd add it in so it is coming, we just don't know when or whats the holdup :tongue:
  • SpongedogSpongedog Texas, United States Join Date: 2017-01-09 Member: 226461Members
    The problem is that it really doesn't add much to the game. Yes, some people are all riled up now that there's no real female character, but how much does it matter? I bet a few months after this thread you won't even notice the gender of the character.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Myrm wrote: »
    If we are going to bother about gender, shouldn't we also consider ethnicity? Different colours/shades of skin etc? Or does skin colour/race not matter?

I think it's part of the story that the Aurora was a Mongolian space vessel, so I think that ethnicity is limited.

But it doesn't say anything about our gender.
  • Niil945Niil945 Join Date: 2017-01-27 Member: 227321Members
    How many game properties feature a female-only protagonist? I'll give you Tomb Raider and Metroid for free, but if gender really didn't matter, where are the rest? Can we even think of 5? Across all platforms even?

Here's a fun game. Name a female scientist - who's name is not Marie Curie.

Don't get me wrong, Subnautica does plenty of things right. The voice of the PDA is at least female, as well as the base, and we do have Marguerit - but what of the rest of the Aurora survivors? I don't recall any of them being female.

It's a little depressing that a game about exploring the *ocean* - won't have a female option until release. If anything the devs are missing out on potential market share. The paper I linked earlier shows that 57% of undergrad oceanography majors are female, so they're not addressing a significant potential market.

First, tons of games have female protagonists now, let alone games that allow you to choose. Hell there's a flag on steam for games with female protagonists. If you use that flag you see that there are 1014 games right now for sale that are flagged as female protagonist. Side note, if I see that flag I refuse to buy the product because they're marketing based on identity politics and I won't support that in the slightest. Second, naming popular female scientists means what exactly? I can name a few women that I know from real life who are chemists or doctors but you don't know them and in reality you don't care. It's just an identity politics talking point that has zero substantive value in this discussion.

57% of undergrad oceanography majors may be female, but how many of them know you or care that you're white knighting it up on a forum in their name? How many that actually play games wouldn't care in the slightest that there's a single protagonist now and it has different genitalia than they do? How many aren't going to take the time to play the game whether or not a female protagonist is added? You can get down off your pedestal now. As an aside, I have no problem with the devs adding a female protagonist at all. They've said it's a post 1.0 thing. Cool. Nothing wrong with more options. I do have a problem with fallacious arguments based on numbers that are entirely meaningless and emotional appeals. Which prettymuch sums up about all arguments from people who buy into identity politics.
  • Mr_EndarMr_Endar Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213859Members
    edited February 2017
    It is basically nothing more than a model replacement, they should be able to recycle and maybe tweak the animations from the original character. All the work is technically already there, it's should just be a matter of hooking it up and creating a GUI which let's you choose you character and adding in some female sounding sounds.
    Trust me its hell of a lot of work.
    Animations and UI are hard. Subnautica team is small and their resources are limited.

PS. For reference, I took part in creation of 3 videogames.

• RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Calarand77 wrote: »
    Ralij wrote: »
    If you got that over the lack of a couple of higher pitched grunts and a character model we really need to work on your self-esteem. Really, have a hug and a cup of tea.
    *sigh* You completely failed to see the bigger picture there and decided to go for a patronizing, personal jab instead. Congratulations and thanks for proving my point, I guess. Of course this entire debacle is not about my self-esteem being hurt, but about women in general being treated as second class customers by the vast majority of game developers. So no, it is not an argument over a little thing, and the attitude the SN dev had expressed is the prime example here - his entire approach to the subject and the way he had handled it in social media, were disgusting and offensive, and there's no real excuse for that.

Could things be more equal? Sure. Was the comment by the dev insensitive? Also sure. As I stated I support the change given it's a relatively simple change (I think) and would be more than willing to wait an extra week or two for release or a given update if this was implemented.

I hadn't intended on being patronizing about it, nor was it intended as a jab. Second class status? You don't matter? These carry very weighty connotations and considerations and I do not appreciate you throwing them around like trivial turns of phrase. I think it should be apparent that I think you matter and value what you say, otherwise I would not take the time to reply or to consider it. It is an incredibly little thing when compared to actual examples of being second-class. Its the equivalent of stubbing your toe and acting like you were tarred and feathered. Again, I agree that it could be more equal and we should push for that equality to become a reality, but that is no excuse to blow it out of proportion.
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    If we are going to bother about gender, shouldn't we also consider ethnicity? Different colours/shades of skin etc? Or does skin colour/race not matter?

I think it's part of the story that the Aurora was a Mongolian space vessel, so I think that ethnicity is limited.

But it doesn't say anything about our gender.

Aurora was Alterra, the Degasi was the Mongolian vessel. The Torgaals were probably Mongolian though. I don't think there's been any real in-game information on the kind of human or area of Earth Alterra is focused around if any. The player model's med skin tone is perhaps subtropical/Mediterranean in origin? With personal variation he could have the genetics of an Egyptian or could be a Puerto Rican. Or a mix. Could be a lighter skinned African? Another point I think is pretty silly. I'ma survive on this danged planet and I don't really care what color I am >.<
    edited February 2017
    Mr_Endar wrote: »
    It is basically nothing more than a model replacement, they should be able to recycle and maybe tweak the animations from the original character. All the work is technically already there, it's should just be a matter of hooking it up and creating a GUI which let's you choose you character and adding in some female sounding sounds.
    Animations and UI are hard. Subnautica team is small and their resources are limited.

So you're implying this hugely popular engine called Unity is incapable of reusing animation graphs from a similar model already in game, which is completely finished for both first person and thirdperson? It's not like this lady has all kinds of different limbs or weird stuff which would require a completely new animation. Or is it all stuck on boob physics, are they really that hard to animate :trollface:

Also how exactly is designing a GUI hard, we're talking about a simple Boolean to select your character model on an extra "character selection" tab in the menu, for which they should have templates ready to go. Heck it could even be placeholder if you're talking about the graphical part, but the ingame menu right now isn't that detailed anyway (template PSD's)

This is basic stuff even ancient engines have, prototyping and using libraries, plugins and classes... Surely a modern and popular engine like Unity has these things built in...

People are making this thing out to be like some kind of HUGE feature, which takes tons and tons of work and time away from development, so you'd basically have to abandon features to even consider adding it before v1.0. When in reality it absolutely is not :D
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    Mr_Endar wrote: »

Or is it all stuck on boob physics, are they really that hard to animate :trollface:

It is according to some games. Some of those games seem to use a chaotic algorithm for their boob physics.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    yes we need a female character because EQUALITY!!!!!

To be honest, does it really matter? You can't even see your character model without using the scanner room. Unless for some reason you want the character's sound effects to be more feminine for some absurd reason, there's really no point to this.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    edited February 2017
    Anyway, in all the arguments I've seen so far, the important thing to remember is that it is easy for men to write female player models off as unimportant, because men have ALWAYS been represented in 99% of the games. Male is pretty much the default gender (and not only in games!), and in the extremely rare cases where there is only a female protagonist to play as - like in Tomb Raider, for example - the model is hyper-sexualized to appeal to the MALE eye and make it entertaining for them. All the skin tight outfits, skimpy armors, and giant, gravity-defying boobs are there for men to enjoy, not for women to feel included. Sad but true.

Have you ever fucking played a video game? There are SO many games with female protagonists, and innumerable other games that simply allow you to choose your gender. Portal 2, Life is Strange, Oxenfree, just to name a few, feature only female protagonists.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    yes we need a female character because EQUALITY!!!!!

To be honest, does it really matter? You can't even see your character model without using the scanner room. Unless for some reason you want the character's sound effects to be more feminine for some absurd reason, there's really no point to this.

I can see it mattering if you're trying to pretend to be the character in the game (instead of adapting yourself to the character aka I'm a male survivor on the Aurora, adapting the character to you aka I'm female and I, me, personally, am in the future, stranded on 4546B). Then it makes sense.
    Anyway, in all the arguments I've seen so far, the important thing to remember is that it is easy for men to write female player models off as unimportant, because men have ALWAYS been represented in 99% of the games. Male is pretty much the default gender (and not only in games!), and in the extremely rare cases where there is only a female protagonist to play as - like in Tomb Raider, for example - the model is hyper-sexualized to appeal to the MALE eye and make it entertaining for them. All the skin tight outfits, skimpy armors, and giant, gravity-defying boobs are there for men to enjoy, not for women to feel included. Sad but true.

Have you ever fucking played a video game? There are SO many games with female protagonists, and innumerable other games that simply allow you to choose your gender. Portal 2, Life is Strange, Oxenfree, just to name a few, feature only female protagonists.

In Portal 2, it didn't matter if Chel was male or female. Her gender had no bearing to the actual story. Replace Chel with some male character and the story would still be the same. So Chel is a good protagonist, but not a good female protagonist. So it matters if a female protagonist provides more than just eye candy. At the moment, providing a female character to Subnautica would be just eye candy instead of providing something more to the story.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    edited February 2017
    There's a new game coming out on PS4 next month called Horizon Zero Dawn which features a female only lead character.

Would it be acceptable for men to complain that they have no male character to play, or would they be classed as sexist? Is it classed as sexist if a woman complains about there being no female character to play?

Anyway, I couldn't care less what the gender of the character I am playing is, so long as the game is entertaining.
    There's a new game coming out on PS4 next month called Horizon Zero Dawn which features a female only lead character.

Would it be acceptable for men to complain that they have no male character to play, or would they be classed as sexist? Is it classed as sexist if a woman complains about there being no female character to play?

Anyway, I couldn't care less what the gender of the character I am playing is, so long as the game is entertaining.

Until meninists with their toxic brand of meninism get involved, then there is no problem with a lack of a male character. Although I would be interested in seeing the percentages of players that choose a character of the opposite gender when given a choice. Is the amount of females players playing as male characters the same as the amount of male players playing as female characters? What is sexist is the lack of scantily clad men in video games. If men are able to play as female characters with hardly any clothes on, then women should be able to play as male characters with hardly any clothes on.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    edited February 2017
    ...Have you ever fucking played a video game? ...

Oh dear, the mature adults are posting now! :D
This discussion has been closed.