How do I perform this maneuver?

jonvalljonvall Join Date: 2003-03-19 Member: 14691Members, Reinforced - Gold
When playing as alien I sometimes come across a marine that I can not kill because of his jumping. I've tried to duplicate it but I have no idea what they're doing to achieve this weird jumping. I can't describe it any better than when I try to bite them they're in front of me but after their jump they're behind me it seems.

Does anybody know how this jump is performed?

Comments

• ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited January 2017
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can best be described as a strafe jump. Moving backwards slows you down, but you can make a long backwards jump by quickly turning, then do a strafejump back, then turn back while airborn. Doesn't need to be backwards of course, you can strafe jump in any direction.

Here's the secret though. You're usually better off standing your ground and make sure you land all your bullets, than to attempt advanced dodging techniques and risk wasting bullets.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Something that helps a lot of players (myself for one), is play with the highest FOV possible, that way they can't disappear off the top of your screen as easily. It takes a little bit of getting used to, but helps a lot.
  • ZdrytchXZdrytchX Australia Join Date: 2016-02-06 Member: 212662Members
    They can jump over skulks, whch can confuse them. A common tactic in dodging aliens in Tremulous (much faster paced alien vs human game) is not to back pedal and jump, it's to actually forward strafe towards the alien.

If the alien goes to you right slightly, strafe to that side because he'll start to aim to your left and completely miss.

For some reason this doesn't work on BiegeAlert with his aimbotty tracking ability thogh
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2017
    Here is a small video i made cause some1 was complaining in the steam forum a while ago about marine jumpspam.
    Important:
    Dont run around bitespamming, try to predict where the marine is going and try to hit him once, then wait for the rine move stick at his feets and strafe around him and bite him again.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2017
    Also dance moves aside, the easiest way to deal with ballerina marines is kinda tied to two basic rules of engagement for the Skulk

- Don't spam bite, press and hold is a nono, time your bites
    - Don't keep pressing forward, you're more likely to overshoot while making it easier for marines to jump over/around you

Actually @dePARA vid kinda shows this perfectly :D
  • jonvalljonvall Join Date: 2003-03-19 Member: 14691Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Thank you guys!

I've been playing this game since the original NS.....which I believe started as a HL mod...if I'm not mistaken....but I still suck! I have fun playing it though so I keep going.

• MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    ballerina marines

@rantology can you draw this pls?
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited February 2017
    These jumps are strafejumps or bunnyhopjumps... which you do to dodge or get in a better position

a mechanic which is basically from the Half-Life 1 engine (Natural Selection 1)... it's hard to explain but I could show these moves if you contact via steam/pm

It's sad that uwe still hasn't explained it anywhere...

Basically if you move forward an press left, while you move left with you're mouse you gain speed... (in console with "^"/"~" you type "debugspeed" to see you're speed slightly increasing... So with to these mechanics you can increase the speed of every move you do... as marine, Fade, Lerk ...

##########################

You can backjump by aiming 90° right instantly, now move you're mouse back smoothly to the frontview (90° left ) and press at the same time the Rightmoving Button (D) and jump after you gained some speed... If you execute that perfectly you can instantly do a backjump and then shoot the skulk which for example now comes around the corner at a higher distance before he can even land one bite on you...
  • jonvalljonvall Join Date: 2003-03-19 Member: 14691Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Handschuh wrote: »
    These jumps are strafejumps or bunnyhopjumps... which you do to dodge or get in a better position

a mechanic which is basically from the Half-Life 1 engine (Natural Selection 1)... it's hard to explain but I could show these moves if you contact via steam/pm

It's sad that uwe still hasn't explained it anywhere...

Basically if you move forward an press left, while you move left with you're mouse you gain speed... (in console with "^"/"~" you type "debugspeed" to see you're speed slightly increasing... So with to these mechanics you can increase the speed of every move you do... as marine, Fade, Lerk ...

##########################

You can backjump by aiming 90° right instantly, now move you're mouse back smoothly to the frontview (90° left ) and press at the same time the Rightmoving Button (D) and jump after you gained some speed... If you execute that perfectly you can instantly do a backjump and then shoot the skulk which for example now comes around the corner at a higher distance before he can even land one bite on you...

Yes....this. Thank you Handschuh!
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    ItsSuperEffective used to have a video describing the strafe jump. I think it was in one of these videos from this playlist.