Refrigerator

Dark_ZeridotDark_Zeridot Join Date: 2017-02-06 Member: 227672Members
I think that there should be a refrigerator in subnautica, it is basically like a wall locker except it can only store food items. However, the refrigerator will keep the food fresh and it won't rot. This way people don't have to plant all their marblemelons in a plant pot to keep them fresh.

Recipe: 2 Titanium + 1 Glass
Section: Interior modules
Blueprints: 1
Blueprint location: Aurora

I hope you all agree!

Comments

• Doe_Jhon_DoeDoe_Jhon_Doe US Join Date: 2017-02-05 Member: 227619Members
    Good idea, but that would take away from the survival aspect, maybe the fridge would keep things from rotting for some time longer that just lingering in the inventory or locker.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    If you want to make it more realistic, it would also *might* require lubricant for the compressor (if they're still using that method to chill things), and take a ton of energy like the water filtration machine.
  • Dark_ZeridotDark_Zeridot Join Date: 2017-02-06 Member: 227672Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    If you want to make it more realistic, it would also *might* require lubricant for the compressor (if they're still using that method to chill things), and take a ton of energy like the water filtration machine.
    I dunno about the lubricant, as a lot of other items using the builder tool don't require the "realistic" materials, like a bed doesn't need some kind of cloth, and a pot doesn't need some kind of soil, but I do agree about the energy.

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    I dunno about the lubricant, as a lot of other items using the builder tool don't require the "realistic" materials, like a bed doesn't need some kind of cloth, and a pot doesn't need some kind of soil, but I do agree about the energy.

I think they should add Fiber Mesh to the beds. As far as soil.. yeah, something could be done about that post v1.0 (ability to collect soil samples for use in growbeds, sort of like how the shovel works in Osiris: New Dawn to collect sand for making glass).
  • NewAgeRevolutionNewAgeRevolution California Join Date: 2017-02-06 Member: 227658Members
    I was actually about to post the exact same idea today!
    I was actually about to post the exact same idea today!

Woah, we are so in sync.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    I like the fridge idea but I would not like to see it having a huge thirst for energy. Like todays fridges tend to use less and less energy so I would hate to see them not improved in the far future. Or make them use alot of energy but explain that by making them a stasis-field-locker or something alike. Which keeps everything in stasis and thus "fresh" for an unlimited ammount of time as long as it is powered.

Just my two cents. ;)
  • Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
    I find this unnecessary. You can keep live fish in your locker without them dying and Cured Food is already immune to decay at the cost of -2 H2O when eaten. Having something something in your base that eats power to keep cooked food fresh a little longer seems like a waste. You're better off sitting yourself in front of a fabricator, cooking your fish and eating it right there.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    Phoenix223 wrote: »
    I find this unnecessary. You can keep live fish in your locker without them dying and Cured Food is already immune to decay at the cost of -2 H2O when eaten. Having something something in your base that eats power to keep cooked food fresh a little longer seems like a waste. You're better off sitting yourself in front of a fabricator, cooking your fish and eating it right there.

True...maybe it is more for the immersion effect then anything else and like the OP wrote to keep fruits fresh after harvesting them. Sure you could aswell eat them right out of the growing pot. So yeah this one is more a immersion/cosmetic idea. Still not bad just not a huge, game changer. ;)
  • magnussemagnusse denmark Join Date: 2017-02-02 Member: 227524Members
    i agree i think there should be a refrigerator, but maybe it would hold the food from rotting 2-3 ingame days extra. Instead of the food never roting if it's in the refrigerator. but yea great idea!
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Yeah I agree, I can be built in the cyclop or base so cooked food can last longer
    The main focus here is different flora, like Marblemelons, Lantern Fruit, and Chinese Potatoes. I suppose you could use it with cooked food, but it's mainly for fruits.
  • fallennight1986fallennight1986 texas Join Date: 2016-12-21 Member: 225320Members
    maybe even a cooler and the ability to make ice for it would be something.
    maybe even a cooler and the ability to make ice for it would be something.

You mean like have ice in your inventory to keep your food fresh? Sounds good to me, but over time it should melt into a purified water.
  • fallennight1986fallennight1986 texas Join Date: 2016-12-21 Member: 225320Members
    yeah why not solves food issue and give water just make 1 sset of ice last a bit not melt fast sence ur in whats probly cold water.
    The thing is, I think thats kinda op. The point of the refrigerator is to keep food fresh and ready for use. I think being able to keep fresh food on you at all times is a bit to op.
    make freesing water into ice take time to do like 3-4 days subnautica time but only lasts for like 2 days subnautica time.