TEEN RATING IDEA pls read

Gunbone_CLGunbone_CL Wisconsin Rapids Wisconsin Join Date: 2016-09-15 Member: 222348Members
Think About it, In Subnautica you can Freeze a fish, THEN STAB IT TO DEATH!!

WTF, and people are telling me A DEAD BODY somewhere on the Aurora is too violent?!?

We need to rethink the E10+ rating on this amazing game!

Comments

• phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    Gunbone_CL wrote: »
    Think About it, In Subnautica you can Freeze a fish, THEN STAB IT TO DEATH!!

WTF, and people are telling me A DEAD BODY somewhere on the Aurora is too violent?!?

We need to rethink the E10+ rating on this amazing game!

1. It's an alien fish so they don't have the same biology or rights a earth biology.
    2. There's no gore, you could have a scary game where you could scrape you knees, at would be a teen or pg. a skate game where you get dismembered would be an adult.
    3. You couldn't do the same thing to a person.
    4. It's a fish not a human being, two completely differeny creatures.
  • Gunbone_CLGunbone_CL Wisconsin Rapids Wisconsin Join Date: 2016-09-15 Member: 222348Members
    Still, there is blood, Im just trying to point out the reasons the Everyone 10+ makes no sense sometimes, if the Devs added a dead player in the Aurora, but with no blood or gore, it should be fine, if grinding a fish to death is
  • x0Z3ro0xx0Z3ro0x Join Date: 2017-01-25 Member: 227214Members
    Still, there is blood, Im just trying to point out the reasons the Everyone 10+ makes no sense sometimes, if the Devs added a dead player in the Aurora, but with no blood or gore, it should be fine, if grinding a fish to death is

No there's not. The yellow muck that is released isn't even close to blood. Nor do children think such things when they see it. You are comparing hunting to dead bodies. Lots of kids hunt with their parents, but thats not close to seeing a dead body.

Two very different things. Im not sure how you can't see that.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    They are trying to keep it E 10+ originally the blood was red. They changed it to yellow to have the E 10+ end of story
  • Gunbone_CLGunbone_CL Wisconsin Rapids Wisconsin Join Date: 2016-09-15 Member: 222348Members
    Ok, the blood is not red true, but If your wondering how I thought this, you stab something and yellow "blood" comes out, it isn't the same as human blood, but it's the alien equivalent.
    I don't want to start a war back and forth about blood and stabbing things, I'm just stating my opinion. Death in this game is in a more kid friendly way, but death is death. I also just want a Teen rating because then they could add dead humans in places
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
  • x0Z3ro0xx0Z3ro0x Join Date: 2017-01-25 Member: 227214Members
    Ok, the blood is not red true, but If your wondering how I thought this, you stab something and yellow "blood" comes out, it isn't the same as human blood, but it's the alien equivalent.
    I don't want to start a war back and forth about blood and stabbing things, I'm just stating my opinion. Death in this game is in a more kid friendly way, but death is death. I also just want a Teen rating because then they could add dead humans in places

Only you think that. Where is the blood? Think of a Octopus, when scared secretes an ink like substance. When a child see you "hitting" a fish and nothing but a yellow substance comes out, their minds do not think about blood. To them blood is red, nothing more. Again you compare an ANIMAL dieing to a HUMAN dieing. You cannot say "Death is Death" because that is a very broad and objective view point.

To a child of 10, they are already hunting, seeing hunting, know about hunting, in some way shape or form. Either fishing, or actual riffle / bow hunting. Now im sure there are kids in the world who may not participate in any of the events, but you can still bet they KNOW about the events. Its a part of NORMAL life to them.

However a child of 10 seeing a dead body is not normal, and whether you are ok with it or not, opens their mind to things that 10 year old's should not be exposed to. This isn't a back and forth war as you state. It's YOUR community explaining to you what you don't seem to understand. Which is fine. But a dead HUMAN body cannot be compared to blood / the body of an ANIMAL.

It's the world we live in, so while thats your opinion and you are very much entitled to it, this game remains a family friendly environment, and that includes users 10+. The devs have openly stated that they want a FAMILY environment and that requires an E 10+ rating. I not only support this, but I support their motivation on not adding guns. So I thank you truly for your opinion. But now you know why it will never be, and should never be.
    Well thanks for your opinion, I love that there are no guns, and I get the 10 and up rating, really I do, but if you have been playing since 2014, by now, you might wonder what it would be like to have dead people, I don't know where any of this idea came from, but I SAID IT TO GET FEEDBACK FROM THE COMMUNITY, and see what others think, not to have people tell me over and over that it's not going to happen. I GET IT, but as I said, recently I got a few emails from people saying that they think it's a cool idea, feedback and brainstorming is why I throw suggestions out, even if they are never gunna happen. Thx for your feedback, but stop explaining dumb **** to me, I got it, your not the first or the last, and I'm trying to say this in a nice way, but others think, a Teen rating would be cool, just that thought is again why I post this ****.
  • kingdoo10kingdoo10 UK Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226989Members
    edited January 2017
    My brother has the game and he is 12 and thinks the rating should be higher because he automatically associates the yellow blood as blood. He also understands the story which he thinks is a very mature story. I guess the rating reflects societies association with violence.The Marvel films for example if they added a bit more blood would get a 15/R rating or whatever it is would be given. But just the graphic violence is not considered that bad. Going back to earlier times many films today would be given R ratings.

Either way I don't think Subnautica is a 10+ game. Once the carar information was added into the game and the Reaper and Sea dragon was added and the fact we know that everyone on the aurora died and same for the Degasi crew the game is intended for more mature audiences. Having said that everything being implied doesn't make the whole situation that scary and I guess it depends upon children's perceptions.

But either way it is rated what it is and I guess their criteria results in a much higher rating. If adding dead bodies for realism and some blood increases the rating dramatically then I personally think there is something wrong with the criteria. Stop assuming that kids are dumb and don't associate yellow blood for actual blood. Although I do understand that the dead bodies would increase the rating I do however think it creates some gerater realism.

A suggestion could be upon entering the game you can choose to enter a harder rating mode and a softer rating mode. Those who are around 10 would get the current game. Whereas those who are older and want to be immersed in some better realism can choose to play a game that is more graphic.

By the way I am not bothered either way just my reflections on the issue. I do think the Aurora needs some dead bodies it is really creapy that you are still alone when searching there. That is more disturbing than if I knew that everyone on board died.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    All this arguing is just the wrapping for another "Lol I wanna see dead bodies" suggestion
  • kingdoo10kingdoo10 UK Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226989Members
    All this arguing is just the wrapping for another "Lol I wanna see dead bodies" suggestion

It's not an unfair point though is it? Like I said I am going to continue playing without any thought given, but this as a suggestion is not a bad thing.

It isn't going to happen to keep the rating down and that is fine. And I guess for adults/teens who understand the story and what has happened then the game is psychologically scarier/more disturbing for older audiences. The information gathered in the PDA that is hard to comprehend will just go over most younger children's heads.

Just like how panto's have adult jokes in them but are aimed at kids.
    Sorry to all, i wrote most of all this running off 2 hrs of sleep, I actually get that cave crawlers ate the Aurora crew members, but cave crawlers aren't in the other parts of the Aurora, and if you think about how big it is, its a lot, I understand the Everyone 10+ rating, and I'm sorry for being a jerk in a way about this, I love the devs for this game, they did an excellent job on this game so far, so... and sorry for ripping down on the devs, makes me sad to know I did. Maybe there should be a new kind of larger creature that should be swimming around in the Aurora that would make all the crew members being gone believable
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    edited February 2017
    Personally, I pay absolutely no attention to game rating. Cutesy stuff without violence that plays well and plays well is weighted exactly as much as hardcore ultraviolent games that play well.

This is just... gaming the rating system to get a game sold as much as possible. The devs think they can move more copies if they keep the age rating low. This expectation is either correct or incorrect, I have no idea.

So, welcome to games ratings. Logic doesn't matter here. I'm fairly certain the entire process is carried out by idiots going down a checklist and playing the game for probably half an hour.

No wait, I'm wrong. The process is done by beancounters who go down a self-reported list. I forgot. Then... maybe they test some of them? Or wait until people complain?
    http://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_process.aspx
  • РусланРуслан Russia Join Date: 2017-02-04 Member: 227592Members
    edited February 2017
    You are hillarious lovely people. We in Russia see "dead fish" at age of 2 or 3 when at dining tables
    or when fishing at age of 6. No dramas made, fish is fish. You are all mentally ill nations. No surprise we own half of the world and defeated everyone of you.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    I don't think anybody raises a fuss over seeing a dead fish in a game.

Aside maybe PETA but frankly they can sit on a cactus, hypocrytical crazies-
  • GimboidGimboid France Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214956Members
    I think the fact you don't come across a single other human (dead or alive) and that all human interaction is audio only adds to a certain aspect of the atmosphere. If you found a dead crew mate, it would allow you to release emotions, cry, despair etc. But with nothing tangible, just empty escape pod after empty escape pod with nothing but the odd voice message adds to the creepy factor and overall feeling of the game.
    edited February 2017
    Can we just end this post now?
    Oh, I know!

How about empty suits. Just suits, undamaged, lying on the ground, and in situations where it is even more obvious the suit was recently tenanted. Like draped in the inside of a nonfunctional PRAWN.

Or lying on the ocean floor near fish bones, presumably where predators might take a bio break...

Doesn't even need bloodstains.

Creepy, yet subtle enough to perhaps not trigger any ratings hits?
    *flips table in rage*
    *flips table in rage*

You do realize that replying to a topic with "let's stop replying to this topic" is counter-productive, right? As it bumps the topic back up where more people will see it and chime in.

Best to just ignore the topic, or ignore the rude guy and post content instead.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    *flips table in rage*

Now this I have to see.
  • fallennight1986fallennight1986 texas Join Date: 2016-12-21 Member: 225320Members
    Foxy wrote: »
    No surprise we own half of the world and defeated everyone of you.

How's that international athletics ban going, champ?

dont forget the cconstent civil wars.