Female character

SilkSpiderSilkSpider Join Date: 2016-10-22 Member: 223305Members
Haven't seen anything mentioned about this for a while... I'm a woman, and would very much love the option to play as a female character in the game. Don't know if you are still considering it or not, but there is at least one person you would make very happy if you did.

Comments

• SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Unless we get a third person perspective, there really isn't a use for a female character.

It would be cool, but not really a necessity.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Good News: They are planning to and have a model up on Trello.

Bad News: It won't be in until after the 1.0 release.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited February 2017
    SilkSpider wrote: »
    I'm a lifelong gamer. When I was a little girl, video games were still a rather new thing, and I found myself confused and dismayed that games with female protagonists were practically nonexistent. All of the most popular franchises of the era invariably had male protagonists. Of course, adults would say it was because usually only little boys play video games, not little girls, or that if the protagonist was a girl, then boys wouldn't play it. Kids would say, it was because girls can't be heroes, period, because girls are weak and stupid.

The industry has evolved a great deal since then, but we still have a long way to go. I just want male to stop being the "default" sex, because there shouldn't be a "default" at all.

Subnautica is slated to be able to choose the gender of your character after v1.0 hits; also: here
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    The Faceless Silent Protagonist might actually be more immersive than the Silent Protagonist and the Voiced Protagonist. The Faceless Silent Protagonist can be whatever character you want. No Man's Sky seems to favor the Faceless Silent Protagonist since there is no idea what the main character is. It could just consist of a Jetpack, Backpack, Camera, and Multitool for all we know.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    People who act like anything is free of politics are kinda uneducated and/or selfish (because the default politics are in their favor). The fact that by far most video games have male protags or promote the male protag over other options is political. Otherwise, any attempt to amend this situation cannot be political either. (Also, empowerment = political. Immersion often is political.)

Looking forward to the female option big time. I'm willing to wait, though, as SN's already doing so many great (and political) things that I accept resources and time are not available for the moment.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    Equality? Equality would mean a male only protagonist is fine. And a female only protagonist is fine. And a choice with both is fine. They are all equal.
    What you want is representation. A quota. And quotas are by their very nature discriminatory, not equal.
    Argue with game design concepts, not ideology. There should be no politically motivated restriction or requirements for creativity, no thoughtcrimes.

An argument is player choice, because choice matters and empowering the players matter.
    An Argument is immersion, because it matter in a first person game, it matters even more in a VR game and Subnautica lives through its atmosphere which is experience by the player through immersion.
    These are arguments. The other is politically motivated shamebullying.

I agree, it's not equality this would achieve, but better player choice.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited February 2017
    I believe Laura Croft ended the debate ages ago, as to whether or not putting/playing a Female Toon in a video game is popular and/or financially advisable.

There's no reason at this point NOT to include the fairer sex as an option and in fact, it is probably the best and easiest choice for increasing a games profitability tenfold or more.

B)
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    edited February 2017
    In my opinion I like how the Mass Effect series embraced equality and open minded thinking. Complete dialogue and relationship changes based on the gender of your character. Even though I have no issue playing Male/Female characters in any game, I do applaud them for putting in a lot of extra work that wasn't needed for the core of gameplay, just to add more of the players own personality to the character.

From a development standpoint in Subnautica, the game is currently playable with the character, and serves the purpose of testing. Adding the female character now really doesn't change the dynamic of alpha/beta testing.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    Yeah, I'm glad that they're including a female option eventually. I mean the option doesn't really HURT anybody, and given that it's on the roadmap it sounds like it's something that they can easily do. I can certainly understand their desire to make sure the game functions properly before coding in the ability to pick the Survivor's sex.
  • Niil945Niil945 Join Date: 2017-01-27 Member: 227321Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    There's no reason at this point NOT to include the fairer sex as an option and in fact, it is probably the best and easiest choice for increasing a games profitability tenfold or more.

That's entirely speculative (it will increase the game's profitability!) and extremely hyperbolic (tenfold!). You can't prove that statement objectively. In this case it's moot as it's on the devs wishlist of things to do, but claims like this are not factual and they fall back on fallacies and erroneous thinking such as correlation equals causation to try to prove their point. Not that I'm opposed in the slightest, and I can't imagine (at least in this game) that adding a female silhouette, some sounds for when the protagonist takes damage that matches, and an avatar corresponding to the gender for viewing through cameras and whatnot, that it's an expensive addition consider the very minimalist approach the game takes to actually seeing/hearing the character. But these are costs that do impact game development.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    There's basically two scenarios...
    • If a game protagonist is an anonymous creature like we have here. Any gender is acceptable, but it is also a case of dedicating resources to modeling/animation/sound design. Ya can't magically pull a male or female character out of a hat :D
      • Usually games like this have a character designer or multiple designs to choose from (multiple could also mean just two)
    • When a game character is specifically designed to be male or female, that is the case where you should not have a choice as that choice is made for you by the designers of the game.

Tell me, Subnautica is basically number one on the list here right?
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited February 2017
    Niil945 wrote: »
    That's entirely speculative (it will increase the game's profitability!) and extremely hyperbolic (tenfold!)

But everybody knows females make up 90% of the video game industry's customers, and not a single one has bought Subnautica yet because no bewbs. :*
  • AlchematrixAlchematrix Indiana Join Date: 2017-02-05 Member: 227652Members
    edited February 2017
    Niil945 wrote: »
    That's entirely speculative (it will increase the game's profitability!) and extremely hyperbolic (tenfold!)

But everybody knows females make up 90% of the video game industry's customers, and not a single one has bought Subnautica yet because no bewbs. :*

I honestly do not appreciate your blatant sexism. I also deduce that you have no evidence or citation to your preposterous hypothesis..
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited February 2017
    I honestly do not appreciate your blatant sexism. I also deduce that you have no evidence or citation to your preposterous hypothesis..

+1 if intelligent sarcasm following my own sarcasm
    -100 if genuine foolishness

Either way, it gets an awesome.
    /thread
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Only the other day I had to complete an online application form. Where it asked me for my gender it gave me three options. Hold on!! THREE options? Yep, it asked me if I was male, female or other? What the heck is 'other'?
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    Gender is genetic. It is not something you can change due to a decision or a surgical knife. However, masculinity and femininity are social constructs that should be separated from the classic gender stereotypes. A person is stuck with their gender, but they are free to exhibit masculine and feminine behaviour.
  • moronwsubmarinemoronwsubmarine Austin, TX Join Date: 2016-12-16 Member: 225030Members
    0x6A,
    I'm sure if you spent, like, 30 seconds thinking about the second half of your first sentence, you'd get an answer to your first half.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited February 2017
    0x6A,
    I'm sure if you spent, like, 30 seconds thinking about the second half of your first sentence, you'd get an answer to your first half.

I'd concede that, except for the fact that you never really get to look at yourself in-game. Well.. wait. hmm. Really? rolls eyes. That's pathetic. Are you referring to looking down in first person view? If so I have no choice but to concede, but please bear in mind even if that wasn't the case, I don't think it would matter that much. It shouldn't, at least. I mean, good grief.
This discussion has been closed.