The Good, The Bad and The Desirable

MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
KK, just purely out of interest this one.

Please list ONE of each for following:

1) The Good: ONE thing you like about SN that makes gameplay more enjoyable for you.

2) The Bad: ONE thing that really gets on your dirty pillows about the game.

3) The Desirable: ONE thing you'd put in the game if you were chief developer.

Please try to keep it brief and too the point.

I'll start :smile:

The Good: the underwater graphics - simply beautiful

The Bad: the lag/stutter, particularly in high density areas

The Desirable: much larger map

Comments

• FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Good: Handcrafted world. Everywhere you go, it's unique and not some generic procedurally created content.
    Bad: Multiple wreck stacking. It's like a layer cake when you're on a diet.
    Desired: Spiritual successors in different places. A lost colony in the swamps, a debris field in orbit, survive a disaster and struggle against the environment to make it out alive.
  • kJGkJG Join Date: 2016-06-19 Member: 218794Members
    Good: Great creative world, fauna & flora
    Bad: Because of a relativly low budget the developers have to leave out a lot of stuff I wouldve loved in the game
    Desired: Them being able to add all they want, especially more fauna and flora
  • wowwinkwowwink Merica Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224596Members
    Good:creative monsters and subs.
    Bad:lag spikes and Xbox gliches.
    Desired:rock puncher
  • sauron11sauron11 USA Join Date: 2016-05-31 Member: 217854Members
    Good: the overall feel of the game
    Bad: inconsistencies in logic (for instance, the habitat builder already has the recipe for many very complex items, but can't make a basic, empty room?)
    Desired: end(ish) game, build a new ship to get off the planet, get shot down onto its neighbor planet, forcing you to start all over elsewhere :smile:
  • Niil945Niil945 Join Date: 2017-01-27 Member: 227321Members
    Good: The beautiful, immersive world. I love playing turning off the lights and turning up the sound as I play.
    Bad: I'm going to skip the common answers of bugs and say I really don't like how many items are only used in one recipe. I'd love more things to construct using gold, the aerogel stuff, etc.
    Desired: I want more base stuff, specifically I'd like creatures to attack bases and things to defend against those attacks. Almost all of the gameplay is proactive, I'd like some reactive survival elements.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited February 2017
    The Good: The fine blend between horror and beauty.
    The Bad: The silver shortage and gold abundance.
    The Desired: I haven't actually played far enough since the latest update to check for myself, but I dislike that ion batteries/power cells aren't upgrades of regular ones. It goes against the spirit of everything having its own use no matter how far in the game you get. So, I'd change that and ensure any future content never misses that particular goal.
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    edited February 2017
    Good: Razor sharp Nintendo-like focus on exploration.
    Bad: Performance. Game is less optimized than most others, even other early access games.
    Desired: Never thought of wanting more (updates provide plenty). An explorable wreck of the Degasi would be neat. Like the Aurora but more dangerous and completely submerged. Obviously in much worse condition. Think of the sense of age and presence given by the Lost River skeleton, something that is closer to being a part of the environment than being out of place.
  • the_marinerthe_mariner US of A Join Date: 2016-12-29 Member: 225653Members
    Good: Gorgeous undersea environments, unique creature designs, compelling exploration.
    Bad: Lag and difficult early-game survival.
    Desired: End-game story - when it's done, it's going to be amazing.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited February 2017
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    The Eli Wallach =

I immediately thought the same thing.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=C0aWrDcM988

One of my favourite flicks ever. I think I know just about every line.
    "Whoever double crosses me and leaves me alive, he understands nothing about Tuco... uheheh, nothing."
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    • Good: gorgeous visuals, fun and easy base building, multitude of excellently designed flora and fauna, vehicles
    • Bad: one of my fav zones (shroom forest) is pretty much unplayable due to lag and stutter
    • Desired: ability to turn off the lights in particular rooms in the base, more purely decorative base elements, an actual ending where I can choose to stay on the planet and just keep on playing
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    If you don't build the "Item" included in the storyline, you can stay on the planet and continue to play all you want.

B)
  • RedMallieRedMallie America Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214355Members
    Good: graphical design, creatures, the sea water is gorgeous. The exploration of the underwater world is fantastic.

Bad: the contrasting tremendously artificial looking precursor cultural artifacts and everything. I know I am probably alone in this one, but I don't really care for the story line about the precursors, disease, infection, etc.

Desirable: I play in Freedom mode, which I love. So since I don't need sustenance in that mode, I still would like to have more every day or necessary items to craft from gold and other resources that are aplenty in the world.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    RedMallie wrote: »
    Good: graphical design, creatures, the sea water is gorgeous. The exploration of the underwater world is fantastic.

Bad: the contrasting tremendously artificial looking precursor cultural artifacts and everything. I know I am probably alone in this one, but I don't really care for the story line about the precursors, disease, infection, etc.

Desirable: I play in Freedom mode, which I love. So since I don't need sustenance in that mode, I still would like to have more every day or necessary items to craft from gold and other resources that are aplenty in the world.

The Precursor facilities are supposed to look artificial, just like your facilities are. They are not from that world, and are from different worlds than each other (yours and the precursor tech).
  • DracobombaDracobomba Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215502Members
    Good: Great aesthetic. The game looks phenomenal and the atmosphere, especially the first time you experience a new Biome, is incredible.

Bad: Even for early access, the optimization is absolutely terrible. It's to be expected, but the game can be downright unplayable at times. Clearing some stuff in the save files thankfully resolves these issues, though.

Desirable: More creatures and environments. This is unlikely to happen, since that takes a lot of work, but in games like these, your interest only goes as far as your exploration does. Think about Metroidvania games: They include an enormous variety of rooms and enemies, some of which are only used once or twice, because it is necessary to constantly make every environment to feel new and unique in order to keep the player's attention. Subnautica has a large cast of creatures, but I still feel that it lacks variety inside the biomes. Each biome only has a few different fauna to offer, and usually you can find them somewhere else anyways.
  • VesperVesper North, to Alaska! Join Date: 2016-01-21 Member: 211748Members
    The Good: The atmosphere of the game. Essentially, the combination of visuals, audio, and tone presented. Even the "unintentional" humor of my PDA companion's notifications (true story, after watching in horror as the Sunbeam was shot down before me, the PDA pointed out that I was still financially liable for all resources used on the planet and I assumed it was referring to the rescue ship being destroyed. The absolute absurdity of it all cheered me up immediately) just makes this game a delight. I suppose more concisely, this is my cheating way of saying that I enjoy the entire game at this point.

The Bad: Removing terraforming. Yes, I know that it had to go for the betterment of the game. I will remember it fondly while conveniently ignoring frustrations it used to give me, as this is the way of nostalgia.

The Desirable: Continuous updates and expansions. My best hope is that the game proves profitable and popular enough after full release to warrant even more content, and not just what the Devs have already stated they'll be releasing after V1. My dreams include whole new maps opening up with new technologies and resources. Strange new civilizations and wildlife to interact with. Beautiful alien vistas to boldly explore . . .
  • Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
    edited February 2017
    The Good: Overall gameplay and awesome creature design

The Bad: Lag spikes and 4 FPS - almost unplayable when that happens. Stacking of Wrecks - burn O2 and an entire battery to cut open 3 sealed doors

The Desirable: Shift+Click Batch transfer of items between Inventory/Storage, Base-wide Crafting Pool through lockers or silos for more efficient item fabrication, and of course... GLASS ROOFS for MP Room!
    Phoenix223 wrote: »

The Bad: Lag spikes and 4 FPS - almost unplayable when that happens. Stacking of Wrecks - burn O2 and an entire battery to cut open 3 sealed doors

The Desirable: Shift+Click Batch transfer of items between Inventory/Storage, Base-wide Crafting Pool through lockers or silos for more efficient item fabrication, and of course... GLASS ROOFS for MP Room!

For temporary solving of #2, you know about clearing the cache, right? If not, read the first line of my signature below ▼
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Phoenix223 wrote: »

For temporary solving of #2, you know about clearing the cache, right? If not, read the first line of my signature below ▼

I am going to ask the devs to change your forum name to "Clear your cache". I am also sending you to vocabulary lessons as all you seem to be able to say is "Clear your cache" :D
    :P If it works, it works. A better idea would be to ask the devs how we can help them pinpoint the issue necessitating cache clearing, so that I can finally retire that part of my signature.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    The good: Creature design. I honestly can't say this enough, the design for the organisms in this game is absolutely astounding. There's a lot of games out there with traditional alien stereotypes, so Subnautica is a breath of fresh air. The creatures feel unique, and distinctly handcrafted. Additionally, the ecology within the game is great, and the game rewards you for learning to live in your environment.

The Bad: It's very demanding for computers, and suffers from performance issues. It's an old complaint, but I needed something to go here...

The Desired: More creatures please!!!!
  • TheRelmLordTheRelmLord The Void Join Date: 2017-01-04 Member: 226060Members
    The Good: The Teraformer Still Exists!

The Bad: Its Only Available In Creative Mode.

The Desired: Air, On Water, And Land Vehicles.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    The good: Biome exploration, the quality of the terrain design

The bad: After the first few hours all threats/challenges have been overcome. There aren't any storms or seasons or predators that are still a threat by mid-game.

The desired: Level design tools and/or creature tools, so we can add to the game indefinitely.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited February 2017
    Aaaaah I'm going to have to think hard on this one.... Especially with just "one" note per bullet point (Ofc, many others are putting several per point so....)

The Good: The biome design and overall gameplay

The Bad: Currently, how horrifyingly linear the game becomes around the midpoint. While you've got many options for approaching the early game, you have almost none for the mid and late game. With the ILZ entrances being sealed up one by one (Dunes, DGR, and now the Crash Zone) and the Lost River formerly only being isolated to the southern part of the map (The second BKZ entrance really helped, though I was still hoping for a Mountains entrance like the early concepts). There's nothing really to fear from either; the Reaper even barely damages the Exosuit. The Sea Dragon ignores you for the most part, and has attacks it rarely uses (Chewing on your seamoth, swallowing YOU whole, etc) because it prefers swimming in circles / away from you, or nuking the fellow fauna with fireballs.

The Desired: Most of what I desire would be post-1.0 content, like the early concepts and stuff. More entrances into the deeper biomes for more flexible gameplay rather than encouraging following an expected path through the game, more biomes to find and explore - cave systems or not. Perhaps even a broader map, expanding it horizontally rather than vertically.
  • TwevOWNEDTwevOWNED Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219546Members
    The Good: The concept is neat.

The Bad: It's a Unity game. It will always run poorly.

The Desired: I know it's not possible at this point, but I would have had multiplayer been a core focus from the start, or at the very least have had the game be on a different engine.
  • SamNauticaSamNautica Join Date: 2016-08-22 Member: 221596Members
    The Good: Everything but the bad

The Bad: Lag and awful framerate

The Desired: Fixing the bad
  • TigerTankSniperTigerTankSniper Join Date: 2016-01-20 Member: 211735Members
    The Good: Having space for the Rock Puncher

The Bad: Not having the Rock Puncher

The Desired: Having the Rock Puncher
  • Isaac_Clark1996Isaac_Clark1996 Germany Join Date: 2015-01-13 Member: 200818Members
    Good: The gameworld and the variety in creatures
    Bad: That they added a story
    Desired: More creatures, more exploring and analyzing features and more science and laboratory elements.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Bad: That they added a story

That's an interesting answer. Why do you not like there being a story?