Where has all the sandstone gone?

joni65joni65 Kansas Join Date: 2016-06-19 Member: 218763Members
In the new game I started there is almost no sand stone to be found. The grassy plateaus where it used to be is covered in nothing but limestone. Has it been moved?

Comments

• FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    edited January 2017
    Sandstone is found in
    deeper caves of the Safe Shallows, caves of the Kelp Forest and on the pillars of the Grassy Plateaus. Also the Dunes.
  • joni65joni65 Kansas Join Date: 2016-06-19 Member: 218763Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    Sandstone is found in
    deeper caves of the Safe Shallows, caves of the Kelp Forest and on the pillars of the Grassy Plateaus. Also the Dunes.

Thanks

• Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    I still personally think it is the biggest obstacle to moving forward in the early game however. You need silver for the most basic tools, and until then, you are subject to the dangers of these areas. In my opinion I wouldn't mind peppering in a little bit more to the safe shallows to at least allow you to get a foothold going. This also has nothing to do with impatience. Often time my life pod is floating miles away for some unknown reason so building a fabricator is priority for me on a new game.

If none of that sounds like the experience you all have, then I just am extremely unlucky finding them.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited January 2017
    ♪ ♫ ... long time passing ... ♫ ♪

B)
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    I know it's been said before but I wish they would adjust the Gold:Silver ratio in sandstone chunks. I end up with lockers full of gold that I barely use, but I'm constantly farming silver for Wiring Kits and Computer Chips... I used to have to load up all of my gold and drive out into the void and dropping them all, so that they'll eventually be eliminated from the world. But now that we have Trash Cans I can stop doing that, at least.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    I know it's been said before but I wish they would adjust the Gold:Silver ratio in sandstone chunks. I end up with lockers full of gold that I barely use, but I'm constantly farming silver for Wiring Kits and Computer Chips... I used to have to load up all of my gold and drive out into the void and dropping them all, so that they'll eventually be eliminated from the world. But now that we have Trash Cans I can stop doing that, at least.

I know what you mean, the ratio appears to be 50/50 but I've noticed I get a 1 or 2 more gold than I do with silver. Last run when I played I got 18 gold and 16 silver. I wish they'd switch the ratio to silver 60% or 70% and gold to 40% or 30%.
    edited January 2017
    Agree with the gold to silver ratio needing adjustment. I'm happy to have a functional trash can so I can throw it away now.

I also agree with the issue of needing to build a fabricator right away. In my new game my escape pod first flipped onto its side making it impossible to enter,. Once it finally righted itself it drifted away and is now over 3000 units away from its starting location. I had to cheat some silver into the game so I could build my fabricator.

P.S. One way I am using up my gold is by making a few power transfer stakes around a wreck I am done exploring for a quick visual reference that I don't need to search it
  • Niil945Niil945 Join Date: 2017-01-27 Member: 227321Members
    joni65 wrote: »
    P.S. One way I am using up my gold is by making a few power transfer stakes around a wreck I am done exploring for a quick visual reference that I don't need to search it

That's brilliant :)

• VoutareVoutare Join Date: 2017-01-27 Member: 227314Members
    I know it's been said before but I wish they would adjust the Gold:Silver ratio in sandstone chunks.

Or alternatively make gold a bit more usefull.
    My preference: Switch the "Wiring Kits" to 2 Gold instead of 2 Silver.

Luckily the Seaglide doesn't need silver and with it finding Silver isn't to difficult once you know where to search for it.
    And if the scanner start working properly for Sandstones it becomes very easy. (For some reason it keeps spots active where I removed the Sandstone, but for something like Lithium it works better)
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited February 2017
    I also agree with the issue of needing to build a fabricator right away. In my new game my escape pod first flipped onto its side making it impossible to enter,. Once it finally righted itself it drifted away and is now over 3000 units away from its starting location. I had to cheat some silver into the game so I could build my fabricator.

This is still a bug? I thought they squashed that one a long time ago.

Are you on Experimental?

edited February 2017
    Skope wrote: »

Are you on Experimental?

Nope, still happens in stable. It's strange for me because it only happens after I have gone a good distance away from it. When I return, it just starts drifting. I just don't know why they can't classify it as a mock structure and anchor it to the location. I mean sure, it would be slightly awkward running into it with a cyclops and suddenly stopping, but I'd be willing to make that trade off unless they can figure out the cause. It's almost like it's the same issue as when I build vehicles with the Mobile Vehicle Bay. The object I am building slowly drifts in the air towards my platform, which in some cases I have been killed by building a Cyclops lol.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Remember once you have a PRAWN and drill arm you can get more silver than you know what to do with. Not much help in the early game though.
  • TheMontgomeryTheMontgomery Twin Cities Join Date: 2017-01-09 Member: 226458Members
    Voutare wrote: »
    I know it's been said before but I wish they would adjust the Gold:Silver ratio in sandstone chunks.

Luckily the Seaglide doesn't need silver and with it finding Silver isn't to difficult once you know where to search for it.
    And if the scanner start working properly for Sandstones it becomes very easy. (For some reason it keeps spots active where I removed the Sandstone, but for something like Lithium it works better)

I'd argue that gold would be more useful than silver in maritime electronics in particular, on account of its corrosion resistance.
    Skope wrote: »

Are you on Experimental?

It is definitely still an issue on my Macintosh,. Don't know if that's a factor. No I never play experimental,. Only stable

Voutare wrote: »

I totally agree with anything for making gold more useful. It's just weird how happy I am to have a trash can so I can throw gold away!!

I'd argue that gold would be more useful than silver in maritime electronics in particular, on account of its corrosion resistance.

I agree with this. It doesn't seem logical lol. However sometimes you sacrifice reality for gameplay, which in this case, I am unsure if a reason exists or that is just how the cards fell during the development.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    edited February 2017

It's just weird how happy I am to have a trash can so I can throw gold away!!
    [snipped]

I have to wonder if the devs are trying to say something with that 'mechanic'...
  • nocommonsensenocommonsense Join Date: 2016-08-16 Member: 221427Members
    The fact that gold has a chime sound when you find it, like when finding something actually valuable like ion crystals, seems inappropriate. The point of such a sound is a happy reinforcement, but for gold it signifies a dud. The devs should remove the happy chime for gold or even better, make a dud sound.
  • magnussemagnusse denmark Join Date: 2017-02-02 Member: 227524Members
    Crewman87 wrote: »
    I still personally think it is the biggest obstacle to moving forward in the early game however. You need silver for the most basic tools, and until then, you are subject to the dangers of these areas. In my opinion I wouldn't mind peppering in a little bit more to the safe shallows to at least allow you to get a foothold going. This also has nothing to do with impatience. Often time my life pod is floating miles away for some unknown reason so building a fabricator is priority for me on a new game.

If none of that sounds like the experience you all have, then I just am extremely unlucky finding them.

your not the only one :smile:
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    when i first saw this thread i thought:

"where has all the sandstone gone
    and where are all the gods"

you know, that song.

• RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    The fact that gold has a chime sound when you find it, like when finding something actually valuable like ion crystals, seems inappropriate. The point of such a sound is a happy reinforcement, but for gold it signifies a dud. The devs should remove the happy chime for gold or even better, make a dud sound.

Kinda reinforces the idea that they are making a point though. Kindof a stimulus for cognitive dissonance in a way. I apologize for being off topic a bit here, but it seems that chasing material wealth (ie gold) is practically the sole drive of a frightening number of people. I've known of people who have practically abandoned their families and friends in the pursuit of money. It's kindof interesting to me if this is intentional in having gold be a very secondary and often dissapointing material to find. It's still necessary in-game for advanced wiring kits and other bits, but its such a small part of one's actual existance that finding more of it after a certain point is pretty annoying. What do you need it for other than to horde it? Even then it just takes up space.

What's the point in having wealth if you can't show it off? Perhaps its also to reinforce the loneliness of the situation as secondary? Yet, as it stands, the stuff is so meaningless after a point to actually living and being alive to greet every new day that players actually drag entire hordes of it to the abyss to dump it simply because its in the way...

Dunno, just kinda airing miscellaneous, semi-related thoughts.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    THAT, kinda again invokes the song I quoted up-thread...

B)

Ralij wrote: »

Kinda reinforces the idea that they are making a point though. Kindof a stimulus for cognitive dissonance in a way. I apologize for being off topic a bit here, but it seems that chasing material wealth (ie gold) is practically the sole drive of a frightening number of people. I've known of people who have practically abandoned their families and friends in the pursuit of money. It's kindof interesting to me if this is intentional in having gold be a very secondary and often dissapointing material to find. It's still necessary in-game for advanced wiring kits and other bits, but its such a small part of one's actual existance that finding more of it after a certain point is pretty annoying. What do you need it for other than to horde it? Even then it just takes up space.

What's the point in having wealth if you can't show it off? Perhaps its also to reinforce the loneliness of the situation as secondary? Yet, as it stands, the stuff is so meaningless after a point to actually living and being alive to greet every new day that players actually drag entire hordes of it to the abyss to dump it simply because its in the way...

Dunno, just kinda airing miscellaneous, semi-related thoughts.

I like these random thoughts of yours. It is easy to imagine being the sole survivor on some faraway planet with an over abundance of things that are so valuable here, gold, diamonds, platinum, and yet be in a circumstance where having it is completely useless and even cumbersome.

• nocommonsensenocommonsense Join Date: 2016-08-16 Member: 221427Members
    Ralij wrote: »
    What's the point in having wealth if you can't show it off?

It is amusing to imagine building a jewel encrusted throne, with no one to lord over save the crab-squid and peepers. The drive for status is only one end that wealth affords, ornamental pea-cocking. You're right that it's probably deliberate, with the datapad references to Ayn Rand inspired madness like "Responsible Autonomous Relationships". It echos Gulliver's travels, stranded on the Island of the Houyhnhnms and Yahoos, rich in diamonds which the contemptible Yahoo covet but the sensible Houyhnhnms ignore.

The other drive for wealth is Imperium, which as often takes the context of man vs nature as man vs man. The fact Subnautica straddles the apparent contradiction between Imperium and Horror is part of what makes it good.