REQUIRED SLEEP?

Jerros6Jerros6 Join Date: 2017-01-27 Member: 227306Members
Since there's already the hunger and thirst component to survival and now that we have usable beds, what about sleep deprivation? Maybe have that affect the player in some adverse way as we adventure out without any rest? Would make having a bed more viable than just wanting to skip nights. Maybe an extreme survival mode for more challenge?

Comments

• kingdoo10kingdoo10 UK Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226989Members
    But you don't spawn with a beb in the life pod. So unless you can sleep in there it is quite pointless. Also the night time is both terryfing especially if you are in an area that is pitch black and often beautiful, like in the safe shallows. So if you were forced to sleep then you were miss these elements.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Make it an optional thing.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    kingdoo10 wrote: »
    But you don't spawn with a beb in the life pod. So unless you can sleep in there it is quite pointless. Also the night time is both terryfing especially if you are in an area that is pitch black and often beautiful, like in the safe shallows. So if you were forced to sleep then you were miss these elements.

Easy. Allow sitting in the seat, and count sleep as 50% effective (all the more reason to build an actual base). Or, have a foldable emergency cot, but that's probably a lot of work.
  • lucashc90lucashc90 Brazil Join Date: 2017-01-05 Member: 226176Members
    edited January 2017
    Sleep could be like in The Sims: it doesn't matter when, just that you do it, their sleep cycles also change constantly depending of how much and how often you do it. Apart from that, we could have some cognitive penalty, almost like how sanity works in Don't Starve Together (just a lot less freaky)... maybe mild alucinations after 3 days without sleep and short blackouts are to follow?

Maybe it would only be included in the Hardcore mode, where sudden blackouts in the middle of the ocean because of lack of sleep would certainly result in death.
  • DeepTripDiverDeepTripDiver Join Date: 2017-01-12 Member: 226586Members
    As long as Freedom keeps free of thse artificial timers ...
  • SaladExistsSaladExists Canada Join Date: 2016-07-06 Member: 219747Members
    We all think sleeping isnt enough for the beds. And if i was exploring the aurora or waiting full time for the sunbeam to come. I would never want a sleep bar. But other then that, this is a good idea.
  • EternalGolemEternalGolem Join Date: 2016-11-04 Member: 223650Members
    lucashc90 wrote: »
    Maybe it would only be included in the Hardcore mode, where sudden blackouts in the middle of the ocean because of lack of sleep would certainly result in death.

This is how I think it would fit into the game. Only in hardcore for 'realism'
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    See that sounds the opposite of fun to me. Like I already play on Only Health And O2 because finding food isn't a challenge for me. It's just endless busywork.

Once you get peepers, or start harvesting marblemelons, then food is kind of no longer a concern. And it's not 'immersive' or 'engaging' or 'tense' to have to haul your Cyclops back to base to pick up some salted Reginalds and some bottled water from the filter machine. It's irritating. It's dull. It's pointless busywork that gets in the way of the exploration.

Again: These are personal opinions and I understand that people live for this kind of stuff. I personally don't understand it and appreciate that there's a game mode where you don't bother with stuff like that.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Kyman201 wrote: »
    See that sounds the opposite of fun to me. Like I already play on Only Health And O2 because finding food isn't a challenge for me. It's just endless busywork.

Once you get peepers, or start harvesting marblemelons, then food is kind of no longer a concern. And it's not 'immersive' or 'engaging' or 'tense' to have to haul your Cyclops back to base to pick up some salted Reginalds and some bottled water from the filter machine. It's irritating. It's dull. It's pointless busywork that gets in the way of the exploration.

Again: These are personal opinions and I understand that people live for this kind of stuff. I personally don't understand it and appreciate that there's a game mode where you don't bother with stuff like that.

4 indoor growbeds in the Cyclops, Bulbo trees, marblemelon, lantern fruit.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    4 indoor growbeds in the Cyclops, Bulbo trees, marblemelon, lantern fruit.

I'd still consider it just endless busywork that gets in the way of the FUN stuff. Which I know is total difference of opinion, which is why I'm not saying "Get rid of the food and water bars period"
  • Shifter6Shifter6 Join Date: 2017-01-11 Member: 226556Members
    The "blood loss" stat, in which you lose both hunger and thirst when eating too much, is an attempt at balancing the ease at which food can be acquired. That being said, the allure of hunger and thirst is that both require you to pay attention to two extra bars that drain as you play, meaning when you're trapped on the aurora with no food and no water left, you may find yourself in trouble. That being said food and water for the most part are so easily gained that it's a non issue for most of the game. Sleep however could be a console difficulty, like "nitrogen" (nitrogen makes the game much harder by introducing nitrogen poisoning, etc) which makes the player more sluggish or able to hold less oxygen, or maybe even blur the screen, if sleep hasn't occurred (though in that case I think short versus whole night sleep options would have to be implemented. Anyway, that's just my two cents.
  • includeinclude aka RpTheHotrod Dallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'd rather the game not turn into balancing annoying factors. Air, Food, and Drink is enough. Sleep, you're starting to go into "ugh..." land.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    include wrote: »
    I'd rather the game not turn into balancing annoying factors. Air, Food, and Drink is enough. Sleep, you're starting to go into "ugh..." land.

Yeah, it's like adding in a sanity meter to the game. The forest does this, you do certain things in that game that have a negative influence on you and your sanity gets affected (cannibalism and not sleeping are the top two I can think of.)
  • Gunbone_CLGunbone_CL Wisconsin Rapids Wisconsin Join Date: 2016-09-15 Member: 222348Members
    you cant get a bed immediately though, so its a bad idea, sorry
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2017
    But if we sleep, who's going to watch the Peepers sleep...

What if they don't sleep, when we sleep

What if...

What do they do if we would sleep...

Never judge a book by it's cover. Cuteness can turn around on ya in the darkness...

We might wake up something by going to sleep.............

Why was the latest patch called castles and coffee if we're not supposed to stay awake to let the giant castle creature slumber hmm....
  • Shifter6Shifter6 Join Date: 2017-01-11 Member: 226556Members
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    I kinda like it as an option, perhaps if there were a 'realism' mode or something... Or if you could select which aspects you wanted to play with at the start of the game to tailor your experience.