Where do you typically build?

FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
I ask this out of curiosity, I love finding nice comfy places to build and I'm interested in seeing the kinds of places people like to build the most.

I personally have a spot that I ALWAYS build my main base, I never deviate from it. It's in the border region between 4 zones:

373c3b77e7d74e8f9c432cfb1354ee4f.png

I've found this place to be absolutely perfect. It's near the only thermal vent anywhere near the safe shallows, very close to the floating island, and right on the border of 4 different biomes. The specific spot sits on a plateau with plenty of space for building a large base, with a couple small grassy hills and some grass just behind it, and a deep trench free of predators and full of limestone chunk just behind that. It has everything you need, it's not too far away from the aurora for the early game and right next to the floating island for easy access to fruits to sustain yourself with little effort, it has a thermal vent nearby for yet another source of power, right on the edge of the grand reef, it just has everything AND it looks nice.

The only thing I don't like about the spot is that there's no music ever. Ever. I would personally love if the music from the safe shallows would play, but I guess no music is a bit better than the horrifying music in the redgrass plains.

Comments

• bwc153bwc153 Shawnee, KS, US Join Date: 2016-02-29 Member: 213659Members
    That's usually the spot I use to navigate my way into the Grand Reef, and I've built several small bases there across different playthroughs.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    I know that area, like Bwc153 I usually visit that trench which I use to access the Grand Reef.

There are two spots in the Safe Shallows that I usually favour for my bases. The first is a cliff just below the surface which I find has a nice view. Under the arches is also a nice location.

Fi1t740.jpg

This is probably my favourite spot, a little crater which is located right next to a shallow trench of creepvine. It's kind of cosy and has a lot of life around it. I've found gasopod eggs in the crater in the past.

NUPtdDL.jpg
  • NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    I typically build in one of 2 biomes most of the time for looks but also because the biomes usually have helpful rescources or some benefit. The 2 biomes I usually build in are the Mushroom forest and Deep Grand Reef.

• Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    edited January 2017
    I remember the spot I chose for my first ever base.

yc3rnngf2cdu.png

It was actually quite covenient cause there is a thermal vent just to the left (I had to use a few power transmitters to get to my base, but that was fine) and It's not that far from the mushroom forest & floating islands. The only inconvenience it has was that I always got trolled by that one hole in the ground in the rightmost grassy plateaus which looks like the jellyshroom biome but actually isn't, it's just a hole in the ground with oculus, biters, eyeyes, and resources but no flora or crabsnakes.

That was quite some time ago tho, brings back some memories.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    I build in a different place with each new version of the game I begin, but it's always on the edge of a cliff.
    That way I can pull my Cyclops right up to a glass corridor extension off of my main Multipurpose room.
    Makes for a nice view of the Sub parked right outside from an Observatory.
    It also makes building a multi-story Alien Containment building a lot more interesting.
    B)
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    25pfoffckox8.jpg

Current location, usually set up shop on one of the floating islands that has blood kelp and them build down from there until I hit the seafloor and build my way into a cave system.
  • LordPotatoTheXXXVIIILordPotatoTheXXXVIII Wasilla, AK Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226007Members
    I usually end up building around the south safe shallows thermal vent, it can be reached with a cyclops, has great thermal power, and can be built up to the surface all pretty if you skip a MP room in the middle of your stack. My favorite spot was under the floating islands with all the thermal vents for an awesome lava base with all the water purifiers you can handle with an epic view of the islands above.
  • moronwsubmarinemoronwsubmarine Austin, TX Join Date: 2016-12-16 Member: 225030Members
    My first playthrough my primary base was on the southwestern end of the Safe Shallows, right where it was pinched by the Kelp Forest finger. I didn't know until much later, but right underneath me where the brain coral was is an entrance to the Jellyshroom Caves almost right above the abandoned base. :) I was going way out into the Red Grass Plateau to an entrance there.

This playthrough my base is in the northern location right next to the thermal vent there. Super convenient, at the base of the cliff in the kelp there is a cave leading back to the thermal vent filled with sandstone nodes.
    60ipf2a268du.png
  • ZaichiZaichi Europe Join Date: 2017-01-16 Member: 226846Members
    edited January 2017
    lol you found my spot, in that second picture. i had my base there for quite a while, until they removed kelps from the area. shame. i would've stayed there. maybe i should revisit it. maybe kelps are back.
    since then my bases have been in kelp forests. takes effort not to destroy any, but makes for awesome view, especially at night
  • nekozjinekozji uk Join Date: 2016-04-29 Member: 216121Members
    Varies, but I like to choose an intersection of safe shallows with one or two other biomes. It's nice to have a different colour of water when looking out of different parts of the base :)
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    Zaichi wrote: »
    lol you found my spot, in that second picture. i had my base there for quite a while, until they removed kelps from the area. shame. i would've stayed there. maybe i should revisit it. maybe kelps are back.

Same for my most recent base as well. That screenshot looks like it was taken exactly where my windowed corners make a 180 turn for a view of the caves XD
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    Safe Shallows every single time. It's the prettiest place and I can't imagine setting up a main base anywhere else.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Didn't build a real base this time, just went straight for the Cyclops. You can fit everything you need a base for in there (up until you need a Moonpool), including ample storage space.
    scjbjljhjsv9.jpg
    th3712gce7xw.jpg
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    O_o how in the heck did you get the lockers to line up slanted like that against the walls? or do they do that automatically?
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    O_o how in the heck did you get the lockers to line up slanted like that against the walls? or do they do that automatically?
    They do that on their own.
  • OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
    In the precursor island, right next to the facility entramce
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    wg7widjy2h57.jpg

Red x - death point

Yellow - Stable game base

Large black - Main experimental game base

small black - Outpost experimental game base

And just so you can see how messed up my head is...
    tsy9cobdo71f.jpg
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    I can't be the only one who sees this when looking at the map...
    j5j6mwygo24s.jpg

Well, now I can't unsee it. So you're not the only one anymore.
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    edited January 2017
    i have a spot in the safeshallows/ kelp forest with a platoe and cliff that just reaches the surface enough to have a solar-farm and gets deep enough for the cyclops and a moonpool

lmctgfn0vgwt.jpg

5kt0lz4f9uxc.jpg

w8jcos35ogu8.jpg
    Bloody Hell. What are you trying to power with that setup?
  • LordPotatoTheXXXVIIILordPotatoTheXXXVIII Wasilla, AK Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226007Members
    i have a spot in the safeshallows/ kelp forest with a platoe and cliff that just reaches the surface enough to have a solar-farm and gets deep enough for the cyclops and a moonpool

lmctgfn0vgwt.jpg

5kt0lz4f9uxc.jpg

w8jcos35ogu8.jpg

Um... wow. What are the coordinates for that area bacause it's awesome and I now want to try that.

And what on earth are you doing with all those solar panels.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    edited January 2017
    Bloody Hell. What are you trying to power with that setup?

This is the definition of overkill. I am slightly suspicious that you got all those materials in survival mode, while managing your hunger and thirst, all the while with only 105 oxygen. (mainly because the max power changes from picture to picture) But anyway - Props to you mate!

• SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    The fluctuating max power is a glitch that happens a lot with solar panels. And I've built bases larger than that on hardcore, so it is absolutely possible.
  • Xxcookid123xXXxcookid123xX USA Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224587Members
    My current main base is 5 meters from my lifepod.
    Yeh.
    I don't know where to move. Grand reef sucks, lost river sucks, reinforced dive suit doesn't work in ALZ, Grassy plateaus has annoying sandsharks, and there's no biome with only mesmers.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    I usually build inside the Shallows or the Redgrass plains. But those are the 2 biomes that i've actually spent a reasonable amount of time in.
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    edited January 2017
    during the day it can be called overkill, but at nighttime you run only on what power is stored in each panel which isn't much with 3 water filters 2 battery chargers and 2 power-cell chargers a fabricator and a moonpool

the other power generators constantly generate power as long as you keep then fueled, the solar-panels stop producing power when the sun goes down/ water gets too deep
  • agravicvoidagravicvoid USA Join Date: 2017-01-25 Member: 227240Members
    On top of the cliff right above the mushroom caves in the Safe Shallows. It is the only spot with a thermal vent in the safe shallows, and is surrounded by the kelp forest and grassy plateaus. I usually build a long vertical shaft down into the mushroom caves for a sweet observatory of the biome. Not only is the music awesome, it is one of my favorite biomes.
  • cy4ncy4n The Kingdom of Reginald Join Date: 2016-09-14 Member: 222316Members
    edited January 2017
    I always try to build my base on a high cliff, preferably one near all 3 of the starter biomes (Shallows, Kelp, and Redgrass) and with the flattest behind-cliff-area as possible.
    edited January 2017
    cy4n wrote: »
    I always try to build my base on a high cliff, preferably one near all 3 of the starter biomes (Shallows, Kelp, and Redgrass) and with the flattest behind-cliff-area as possible.

I'm with you. The 3-biome junctions are the best place because:

Bloodgrass (yes, I KNOW the name has changed, I just still call it that - habit.) - sandshark/ reefback eggs for bioreactors and food
    Kelp forest - creepvine seed pods for lubricant and silicone
    Safe shallows - pretty much everything else.

Although that Kelp / Sparse reef / Bloodgrass / Grand reef does look REALLY good as well...

EDIT: I meant OTHER fish, like spadefish and reginalds for food, not sandsharks.