How old does a thread have to be that answering is considerd necroposting?

OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
The title tells it all. I want to avoid necroposting but I'm not sure how fresh a thread has to be so it's safe to post.

Comments

• OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
    The title tells it all. I want to avoid necroposting but I'm not sure how fresh a thread has to be so it's safe to post.
    Apparently my phone posted this thread twice... It's not intentional
    edited January 2017
    Apparently my phone duplicated this thread...

Edit: Thanks for merging the threads!
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    There is no exact rule for this, not that I've seen one anywhere anyway. I'd say one month is old but probably still tolerable, three months is pretty much dead, making a new thread would be in order then. Anything older and it gets criminal.

Of course it also depends on the activity on a forum. If a three month old thread is still on the front page, there's no reason not to post in it, just don't expect anyone that posted in it to be still around and replying.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    1 month seems to be standard for lots of forums, but it also depends on what type of forum it is. MMO forums and Early Access forums seem to be 1 month due to the game constantly changing while a forum discussing movies from the 1950s would not need to set a restriction.
  • WinterholdKnightWinterholdKnight Join Date: 2017-01-10 Member: 226503Members
    Necroposting never really bothered me, so I wouldn't know. I know I answered a 1 year old post on this forum and nobody bat an eye.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    I don't think Necroing is even banned! And, Necroposting is just things like posting "Necro" or "Revived", its not necro if you have something valuable to say.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    A lot of forums will actually warn you automatically when you try to respond to a thread older than, say, 30 days or such. Would be nice to have (you can still do it, it just makes sure you're aware that the thread is old).
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    A lot of forums will actually warn you automatically when you try to respond to a thread older than, say, 30 days or such. Would be nice to have (you can still do it, it just makes sure you're aware that the thread is old).

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I've always seen it like this:
    • Necro posting is just bumping something and not adding to the topic
      • If a thread is about a certain thing which is no longer in game, as in obsolete that is also kinda a non productive thread. Merely used for reference. Bumping that could cause confusion...
    • Reviving a thread is actually adding something to it so the discussion can continue

Necro bad, reviving good
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited January 2017
    When there's 12 other newer threads repeatedly bringing the Exact Same Topic up.

B)
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    If I had to take a crack at setting down ground rules for what is and what is not necro-ing...
    Necroing is
    1) Posting on a thread that is more than 30 days since its last reply
    AND
    1a) Adding little or no value to the discussion, whether it be a short post like 'cool' or rehashing information that was already present OR
    1b) the thread is outdated and new information posted would be better served in a new discussion about the topic.

If you are the OP in a creative thread, such as a thread for your youtube channel or other artistic outlet, I think its fine to post new episodes or related information in that thread, even if its been 30 days or more since that is the dedicated thread for your work. However, if the only post you put is 'bump' then it would be considered a necro.

Just my $.02
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Ralij wrote: »
    1a) Adding little or no value to the discussion, whether it be a short post like 'cool' or rehashing information that was already present OR

Oh, I hate it when people just put "cool" on a thread that's over a year old.

How about when they do it to every old thread they read until they hit the forums spam block? XP
    Thanks for merging the threads!

cool

» Too soon?
    Kouji_San wrote: »

cool

» Too soon?

Nah
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    edited January 2017

cool

» Too soon?

You're evil...

cool

» Too soon?

You're evil...

I'm merely an agent of chaos 15.gif
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    The Art of Necro-Posting

For a post to be considered "necro-posting", one must post on a thread that has not been responded to in three or more months.

This covers most bases, however there are many exceptions to this overarching rule. These are the most shining examples of exceptions to what I like to call the "3 Months and you're Undead" rule:

1. If a post is considered "dead" thanks to the Rule of 3 Months, yet the subject has somehow become relevant once again, you may post on this thread without being harassed and deemed a necromancer by the masses, as long as you acknowledge that it may be necro-posting. It is still necro-posting, however more acceptable than before, of which it is leaps and bounds.

2. Similarly, if a post has fallen out of favour in sooner than three months, posting on it would be considered a necro-post. Although it isn't as bad, expect personal attacks and insults if you break this crucial rule.

3. Bumping a still-relevant thread is not considered necro-posting, so don't be afraid to do so. If you do wish to "bump" a thread, please take note of whether the topics in the thread are still relevant. If they aren't and you bump the thread (especially if it's your own) you will be accused of farming for awesomes, agrees and views in unethical and frowned-upon manners.

And there you go; the rules I follow when necroposting. Have fun with that.

• phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
  • inkboyyyyinkboyyyy Join Date: 2020-05-20 Member: 261193Members