New Weaponry featuring Subnautica tech.

Cabinetduck1147Cabinetduck1147 The city outside of Ns2_Eclipse Join Date: 2015-09-08 Member: 207832Members
Hey devs! It's been a while since I played Ns2, being as though my computer is fried and I'm still working on getting enough for a good rig... anyway... I have been playing some Subnautica on Xbox One and I had an idea while derping around with the Defense Field upgrade for the Seamoth. What if (for Natural Selection) the marines could get an implement of that technology. Here's some ideas I've had for how to include them AND how to balance it out with the Kharaa team. *clears throat*

Ideas, stuff and other dumb stuff I came up with!:
-Implement a new game mode where the marines must defend a piece of technology (ideas i have, though I would leave it up to you) for a certain amount of time. The marines would be started off with a full team of riflemen and have basic upgrades (Weapons 1 and Armor 1). Aliens would spawn on two sides of the map flanking the marines at an angle, with one upgrade point to use on any low level ability (Shell, Shade or Shift). The objective that the marines would be protecting would have the ability to 'lock down' for a rate of fifteen seconds if a marine activates it by pressing a button standing next to it. The objective would then close up (similar to the Halo gametype 'Generator' in Firefight) and emit a Defense Field that does not effect the marines, but scrambles an alien's thoughts, causing the alien's screen to rapidly grow from a saturated/ colored screen, to a blank white screen, while a deep, thumping sound plays (either the heartbeat of the organism, or just a bi-product of the field. This would cause the alien player to lose all ability to know where he is or what he is attacking, making him an easy target. Evidently, the field drains a lot of power from the objective device, so it will short circuit and spark, while being locked in an open position for one minute (or less if that's unfair). Of course, that's not the only thing going for the aliens, to counter this tricky new ability of the marines, the aliens can find circuits across the map, where if they sever each circuit, they can disable the defense field feature, and because of this the marines would have to outsource to be able to protect the circuits, or choose to abandon the ability, depending on their play-style. This mode would expand gameplay a bit and make an interesting addition to the game modes (In my opinion, but you're the devs, so it's up to you).

-Ever been in an exo suit and just cant stand it when that skulk is very evasive and is tearing apart your exo without giving you even the slightest chance to shoot back? Well not anymore thanks to the PESDF (Portable Exo Suit Defense Field). Just kindly ask your commander to research this as an exo suit ability after the other tiers of exos are researched and that is a problem no more! (good for late game hive raids, because in my opinion the exo is a little UP).

-Since the devs at UW have been working on a watery game (subnautica) and have been dropping subtle hints of Ns2 into it (yes i noticed if you surface in a seamoth it makes the 'marine catches his breath after sprinting noise') ... why not use the same movement codes and features used in Subnautica, to add water gamemodes to Natural Selection. I know this sounds ambitious af, but it would be cool to see Ns2 (or Ns3 maybe?) to include water maps, which feature different alien types (since the Kharaa Bacterium seems to be attracted to aquatic lifeforms more than Land-based lifeforms anyway (The Harvesters, Hives, Shades, etc). If you guys even give this idea half a thought and like it, i have some ideas for aquatic lifeforms that can be added into the game. Marines would also get a gameplay change as obviously bullets and boots don't work too well underwater, things would change... but not much. Instead of exos... PRAWN suits with nano cannons. Instead of Rifles... Nano Rifles. Instead of grenade launchers... Seismic Charge launchers that create a sonic boom on impact that would shred any life form caught in the shockwave... etc.

Honestly, this was just some stupid suggestions I have for Natural Selection. I love you guys and both your games Natural Selection 2 and Subnautica and I hope to hear your opinions on my idiocy, thanks for reading... if you made it this far you deserve a cookie!

Comments

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited January 2017
    I wouldn't mind a commander ability (or maybe a player one?) for exos to emit a short range slow. Now that I think about it, that might actually be a very good idea.

Also, Subnautica and NS2 are on two COMPLETELY different engines, so nothing is really transferable between them except for ideas.
  • Cabinetduck1147Cabinetduck1147 The city outside of Ns2_Eclipse Join Date: 2015-09-08 Member: 207832Members
    Oh ok. well that's ok. At least it would be a springboard for ideas.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Well, most of those ideas would probably be SN easter eggs in NS2, of which there is already at least one.