Make the lost river darker

LeechSoupDotYumLeechSoupDotYum Join Date: 2016-02-24 Member: 213378Members
The lost river isn't spooky enough. You can see around just fine with no light, I think it would greatly improve the lost river experience to only be able to see what is illuminated by your flashlight. Being snuck up on by a river prowler would be actually scary, and if more fauna are added to the zone, it will be scarier only seeing sillouettes and hearing noises than just seeing them from a safe distance.

Comments

• yungmewyungmew United States, California Join Date: 2016-12-24 Member: 225432Members
    The beings in the lost river apparently have adapted to the darkness and have evolved bioluminescense.
  • andrewcandrewc Join Date: 2016-12-20 Member: 225231Members
    There should definitely be a complete dark biome with no lumenescence...
    All white albino creatures.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    I enjoy my pretty scenery. I'd like to keep it.
  • smellslikebleachsmellslikebleach Join Date: 2016-12-22 Member: 225337Members
    andrewc wrote: »

Yes - This should be something for a new cave biome.
  • Shifter6Shifter6 Join Date: 2017-01-11 Member: 226556Members
    edited January 2017
    I can't say I like pitch dark environments. If you go through the crash zone entrance to the inactive lava zone you'll see what I mean. It isn't fun, it's frustrating. I can't enjoy all of the hard work the devs put into the scenery or any possible life I can't see because I'm trying to leave the dark in my cyclops as fast as possible. I do agree however that more flora (since as far as I'm aware it's only ghost weed) and a bit more fauna would be amazing in the lost river.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    It'd be alright if they added more spotlights to the Cyclops. Maybe add 3 modes to the exterior lights: Off, Headlights (current lights are on), and surround flood (all exterior lights light up 360 degrees around the Cyclops).

Would make exploring around the Cyclops a lot easier.

You could easily sort of implement this now by making that 3rd mode just turn on the lights on the cameras. Then you could point the cameras where you wanted light, and exit the vehicle (currently the cam lights shut off when you exit that cam).
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    andrewc wrote: »

I've made this idea b4 u prig.

Jk but seriously. It was "Crystal Trench" as a placeholder name. The deepest part. It would inhabit the edges of the map as The Dropoff. Essentially so dark that you cannot see in front of you, but there are floating rocks and walls filled with purple Crystals that pulsate with light.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited February 2017
    I'd like to see the Deep Grand Reef and Lost River be darker. Most of the Blood Kelp Trench's light comes from the glow put off by the flora. It's dark enough to be fitting of an abyssal biome, but its enough to navigate and appreciate the area. If you need more light, your subs or flashlight are there to help. And.... I guess the light stick and Floodlight too... Even if they're pretty limited unfortunately.

I'd like to see a bit more of a balance really. There's too much global lighting in those two areas, that the bioluminescence of the life down there is largely wasted. Speaking of which, the Sea Dragon has some gorgeous light displays when in the darkness... But he only shows up in a fairly bright zone, and a very very bright zone. The biolumenescence is almost entirely wasted on him. Part of me hoped that he'd show up in or around the Dunes ILZ entrance because of their hunting reapers, but then the entrance got removed. And with the Aurora entrance being considered for removal too, where do these dragons get their reapers from then?

Back on topic though; I'd love to see these two darkened up somewhat so the glowing traits of the life down there have a chance to shine (no pun intended) but not dark enough that ithe rest of the detail is completely lost on you either. I mean, look at the Grand Reef - it's darkish, and at night very dark, but then you can see the glowing of the plantlife so much more. And the Safe Shallows is especially pretty at both times of day. At night, the bioluminescence of the life there is so much more apparent. In the LR and DGR though, it gets drowned out in the bright global lighting down there. It's a pretty extreme transition too, if you're getting into the LR from the Blood Kelp Zones.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    I do agree that the Lost River should be made darker, but not pitch black.
    Something similar to the lighting in the new Ghost Canyon cave is what I'd like to see.
    NozNGSq.png
    1VNXDOy.png
    wfp66qC.png
    But maybe made a bit more bluish.

I'd also like to see some of the other deeper biomes like the Northern Blood Kelp, Mountains, and Dunes made at least a little bit darker as well.
    The underside of the Floating Island is also way too bright at night for some reason.
    Msgrt0L.png
    Under the Floating Island at night.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited February 2017
    Yeah I can understand the glowing lifeforms providing some light, but that much light? I think that the ambient/global lighting - whichever's the proper technical term - is cranked up way too high in some biomes. The Northern BKZ's usually okay, though I think it could stand to be a smidgen darker at day, to help with the eerieness of the zone? The underside of that island couldn't be that bright from just the floaters. D:

The shots you have of the LR there would be a big step in the right direction, though I'd personally take it just a little bit further than that, it's still good.