Corrosive Burrow Worm - an alternative for Stab

.trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
edited January 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions
I've never seen an alien commander research stab for fades, unless he has tons of res and has nothing to do. Even then, the players themselves are reluctant to use that ability unless they are riligud.

So my idea would be an ability akin to parasite; Burrow Worms!
- when a marine is hit, he get's armour damage similar to bilebomb
- the marine also gets parasited, preferably with a different colour so the fade can identify which target he's after. that color is only visible to the player who shot the worm (important for targeting)
- like parasite, it expires after some time
- projectile weapon (like a nade, but with less vertical displacement) so it takes skill to hit someone (parasite is a ray weapon)
- can only be used once, if another is fired, the former disappears with all it's effects
- if multiple fades worm the same marine, armour degradation is still as if only one worm hit him (non-piling)

This mechanism would allow fade players to target individual marines even in the biggest chaos. It's also a late ability, when fades are against jetpacks and lots of armour, so it shouldn't be overpowered.
I'm not sure about exos though, they might have to be immune (the worm can't get through the plates) since armour is all they have.

Comments

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited January 2017
    Not sure if intentionally just saying "GIVE FADES ACID ROCKET" or not
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Well, not exactly, because it wouldn't deal area damage :]
    The late-tier fade ability should be supportive, not aggressive like acid rocket
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Stab is currently a biomass 7 ability. That puts it on the third hive. Third hive abilities are meant to be turtle breaking and game ending. Stomp and xenocide do that far better than stab does. Acid rocket would help break turtles and end games more than this idea would.

I am not saying this is a bad idea, but just comparing it to acid rocket as a late game ability. In my mind this idea would work better as an advanced metabolize replacement, but that is me.
    edited January 2017
    I'll never forget siege maps in ns1: the only way to break the marines was to acid-spam the crap out of them... it even dealt damage through floors :D
    My impression is that they are trying to keep the teams as asymmetric as possible, so from that point of view acid-rocket is out of the question (ranged, area damage). Also, contamination is already quite OP, albeit 2 biomass levels later :P

This worm idea grew out of the fact that I have difficulty tracking jetpackers whom I've already injured. Fades have to keep moving so your target often gets behind of you between swipes, and when you have 5 marines flying around it's confusing. Even without the corrosive angle, just marking a target for yourself can be quite useful :]

EDIT:
    Also, it's not the same as shade Aura, because if the marine gets medded and now has 100HP/0AP, he will appear green (correct me if im wrong), and you lost your injured target.
    edited January 2017
    @BeigeAlert Oh well, I guess the idea hasn't gotten through. Too bad you guys can't prescind the acid rocket concept :P
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2017
    Hmm worm aye? I miss the "wormhole" Vortex that would teleport you back to it after you attack. A more user-friendly version of it would be awesome.

The portal could be cloaked shortly after it is placed, has some placement range, and trigger when the Fade blinks. In short, it would be like a short ranged, cloaked Translocator from Unreal Tournament.
    How does that sound?
  • NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    "Comm, what the fuck. You haven't researched corrosive burrow worm yet? Eject."
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members