I have a question, devs read

Jeremys556Jeremys556 (Not Used) Join Date: 2017-01-14 Member: 226717Members
Im trying to play subnautica, and my processor is a tiny bit low of what the minimum is, so im wondering can i play? I am trying to play on steam my processor is 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, so can you please answer if i can play? Thanks!

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2017
    Minimum requirements is talking about the Haswell core, which is the fourth generation of the i5 series, something like five CPU generations newer than the latest CPU from the C2D/C2Q family

Um dev peeps... Sandy and Ivy can easily hold their own as well, what gives :D

To semi answer you question, I do believe the C2D's are too old. Maybe, just maybe if you have the latest Gaming Xtreme edition of that series, with enough DDR2 mem (4-6Gb) and a supported graphics card around the AMD HD5800 series or faster (+1Gb memory). But those Extreme CPU's run at different clock speeds than the one you posted, so I'm guessing you don't have that (most likely C2D P7550 or P8400?)

But I'll wait for someone who's also running it on C2D to post their findings here... I've heard some peeps are able to, somehow :o
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Jeremys556 wrote: »
    Im trying to play subnautica, and my processor is a tiny bit low of what the minimum is, so im wondering can i play? I am trying to play on steam my processor is 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, so can you please answer if i can play? Thanks!

This topic seems to have gone off topic extremely quickly after just one post. :/ The guy is asking for advice here.

@Jeremys556 It's not just the processor that matters when it comes to games performance. What graphics card you do have? How much RAM does your computer have? There are some tweaks to the games settings, including in-game settings that you can lower to help your computer play the game.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited January 2017
    @Jeremys556 Can you post your system specs? Check my signature ▼ down there, there are several programs for posting your system specs. There should be an option in each of them to "save all information" or "export to.." and then you can post that. Speccy's probably easiest, followed by HWiNFO64, I think. CPU-Z and GPU-Z are more for getting even more information about your system, which isn't necessary here.

HWiNFO: Report > create

Speccy: File > Save As
  • Jeremys556Jeremys556 (Not Used) Join Date: 2017-01-14 Member: 226717Members
    Ill show you my system info (Mac os yosemite)
    OS X Yosemite
    version 10.10.5

Macbook pro (13-inch, Mid 2009)
    Processor 2.26 GHz Intel core 2 duo
    Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    OS X Yosemite
    version 10.10.5

Ouch.... intel duo core and a graphics card that has under 1 gigs...
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    OS X Yosemite
    version 10.10.5

If it does run, then you would have to set it at the lowest possible settings.

Here is the minimum requirements that Steam has specified for the game.

Processor: Intel Haswell 2 cores / 4 threads @ 2.5Ghz or equivalent
    Memory: 4 GB RAM
    Graphics: Intel HD 4600 or equivalent - This includes most GPUs scoring greater than 950pts in the 3DMark Fire Strike benchmark
    Storage: 6 GB available space

The Intel HD 4600 is equivalent to a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650M which came out in March 2012 while the NVIDIA Geforce 9400M came out in October 2008. So the minimum requirements are set to at least 4 year old computers while your computer is over 7 years old. So if you want to run Subnautica on your computer, then you have to at least replace the CPU and Graphics card which likely means a new motherboard as well. It would be easier and cheaper to get a new laptop for less than $500 than to make your computer Subnautica-ready. You might need to use a Windows emulator to run Subnautica if you are using a Mac OS.
    starkaos wrote: »
    OS X Yosemite
    version 10.10.5

If it does run, then you would have to set it at the lowest possible settings.

Here is the minimum requirements that Steam has specified for the game.

Processor: Intel Haswell 2 cores / 4 threads @ 2.5Ghz or equivalent
    Memory: 4 GB RAM
    Graphics: Intel HD 4600 or equivalent - This includes most GPUs scoring greater than 950pts in the 3DMark Fire Strike benchmark
    Storage: 6 GB available space

The Intel HD 4600 is equivalent to a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650M which came out in March 2012 while the NVIDIA Geforce 9400M came out in October 2008. So the minimum requirements are set to at least 4 year old computers while your computer is over 7 years old. So if you want to run Subnautica on your computer, then you have to at least replace the CPU and Graphics card which likely means a new motherboard as well. It would be easier and cheaper to get a new laptop for less than $500 than to make your computer Subnautica-ready. You might need to use a Windows emulator to run Subnautica if you are using a Mac OS.

It's a MacBook, that's a laptop. And, Mac laptops are especially almost impossible to open up, let alone upgrade.

@Jeremys556 You could try putting Windows in there using Boot Camp and then using the -forced3d9 tag... I dunno. Old laptop. :/

If you were looking for an excuse to upgrade, though... ;)
    My dad works for apple...

Then see if he can get you a deal on a new Mac? Apple can open up a Mac to repair it, but I don't think they'll upgrade anything besides maybe the RAM and / or hard disk. Even with PC laptops, 95% of them have the video card soldered on to the mainboard so you can't upgrade it (which is a shame).

I'd honestly go PC for the better specs, but that's me. There's a bunch of back and forth here:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/pc-mac-linux-society-1000004/is-mac-good-for-gaming-25799953/
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members

If you get a Mac, then you need to make it a dual-boot system or use a Windows Emulator to play Subnautica. Subnautica originally supported Macs with their first patch, but it doesn't seem to get any attention anymore. It is possible that Mac support will be continued when the game is finally launched, but that is something the devs have to decide.
    1. My dad only repairs macs so he cant give me a deal
    2. On steam it says subnautica is for mac and windows
  • OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
    edited January 2017
    Why do I find this kind of titles clickbait-y (clickbait-ey? Clickbaity?)? And there are way worse examples out there!
  • Victor32Victor32 Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215181Members
    Wow, guys, way to derail a legitimate concern topic... And it's not the first or even second time you've done that.

Can't you do all the greeting, welcoming and back patting in private messages instead? Because that's where it all belongs. All the spam you post only concerns the small group of you, and really - REALLY - has no relevance for the players who come to the forum to talk about the game.
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Victor32 wrote: »
    Wow, guys, way to derail a legitimate concern topic... And it's not the first or even second time you've done that.

Can't you do all the greeting, welcoming and back patting in private messages instead? Because that's where it all belongs. All the spam you post only concerns the small group of you, and really - REALLY - has no relevance for the players who come to the forum to talk about the game.

This. A thousand times this.

The community on these boards is great and thankfully there is very little call to have to actually mod anything compared to some of the communities I've been involved in, however there is a recent trend of derailing threads via memes/irrelevant replies/inside jokes etc.

There is a place for everything but serious tech threads like this one is no place for comical replies or joking around. Please consider the OP who is genuinely trying to obtain help with running the game only to have their thread hijacked by potato memes.

For now, I'm just going to tidy this thread up, but please keep the memes under control. You can use group private messaging or the off topic forum to let off some steam/post a meme thread (the theme is NS2 but its a general forum for anything off topic.

Thanks

• Raging_direRaging_dire U.S. Join Date: 2017-01-25 Member: 227222Members
    I would help if I could but as soon as you guys started saying are xanaxs and keys and d2's and all that other crap and numbers I lost track of what the that kind of language you were speaking