Maps in Game's folder

Excorpion2013Excorpion2013 Chile Join Date: 2016-12-29 Member: 225688Members
So i found this, and i want to know some things about it...
One is the 'Biome Map', looks crazy, and this is what devs want about the game ??

ktz25lsi7zll.png

The second one is ... 'Flow Map', and im not sure what means...

csgxhjnsqh7j.jpg

Comments

• NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    Well we've heard plenty of stories of people's lifepods drifing away, maybe the flow map is a map of the sea flows?
    I mean probably not its probably some coding/game design thing thats way beyond me.
    @Excorpion2013
  • Excorpion2013Excorpion2013 Chile Join Date: 2016-12-29 Member: 225688Members
    NerdyEric wrote: »
    Well we've heard plenty of stories of people's lifepods drifing away, maybe the flow map is a map of the sea flows?
    I mean probably not its probably some coding/game design thing thats way beyond me.
    @Excorpion2013

Nahh i dont think so... it dosnt look like that...
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    Those are both examples of Jackson Pollack's' work...

The first is when he was in elementary school and the second is his last piece before killing himself in a drunken-rage, car accident.

B)

WTF ?!?!?
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    I believe that the top map was what the world map was originally supposed to look like a long while ago.

For example, I believe the Twisty Bridges are the light blue. Something that is clearly not around today.

I have no idea what the second one is. I would guess something like a ocean current chart that they were developing. I know they have been playing with current for a while now.

That's just my two cents though.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    edited January 2017
    This is the most current map without details, you can find a more detailed one over at the wiki

latest?cb=20161217112103

• phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    edited January 2017
    I want the first map, I don't care if the aurora isn't in the game, the first map looks soo complex. Iv pretty much memorised the safe shallows, kelp forest and grassy platous layout in game but on the map there seems to be more entrenches to the lava zone and more mushroom forests. If they release modding support I'm going to try to attemp to remake that map.

There's also more koosh zones (420 blaze it) no pointless dunes and no pointless mountains.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited January 2017
    In the same folder you can also find a color legend that tells you what the different biomes are.
    Uor9ct9.png

• phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    In the same folder you can also find a color legend that tells you what the different biomes are.
    Uor9ct9.png

So that expalains why in all the concept all the lava zone pictures were near e surface.
  • AppalaxisAppalaxis South Africa Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226025Members
    Flow map could be highs and lows of the sea floor, like looking at mountain ranges on a map...
    Appalaxis wrote: »
    Flow map could be highs and lows of the sea floor, like looking at mountain ranges on a map...
    More likely currents, they all point in the direction of the safeshallows
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    The first one is an early version of the biome map, made very early on, before we had much idea of how big or complex we could make the world.

A flow map is a texture map that is generated by terrain generation tools like World Machine. It creates the effect of water flow such as rivers or currents. It's not important to anything we're doing with the game at this point.
    Insane wrote: »
    The first one is an early version of the biome map, made very early on, before we had much idea of how big or complex we could make the world.

A flow map is a texture map that is generated by terrain generation tools like World Machine. It creates the effect of water flow such as rivers or currents. It's not important to anything we're doing with the game at this point.

Is going to be important at some point ?
    This could make the sea more interesting, a lot.
    Cause you learn the flows and you can make easy travels
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Sorry, what I wrote there was kind of misleading.

What I mean is that it was used to generate the initial terrain that we then built on top of. A flow map is a type of height map that models terrain erosion due to flows of water. A height map is a texture map that is often used to generate terrain. Often several of these are combined into one material that's then fed into a game engine to create a landscape. We did this step very early on and haven't done anything with it since then (because that would overwrite all of our custom work).

This tutorial shows how it's used in UE4.

Are there any plans for an Antarctic biome. Or is it frozen in development right now

I'm sorry for the terrible pun
  • AppalaxisAppalaxis South Africa Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226025Members
    Sorry, what I wrote there was kind of misleading.

What I mean is that it was used to generate the initial terrain that we then built on top of. A flow map is a type of height map that models terrain erosion due to flows of water. A height map is a texture map that is often used to generate terrain. Often several of these are combined into one material that's then fed into a game engine to create a landscape. We did this step very early on and haven't done anything with it since then (because that would overwrite all of our custom work).

This tutorial shows how it's used in UE4.

So I was right about the flow map to some extent.. :)
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    edited January 2017
    Fun fact; back in 2015 that biome map was accurate to what biomes the console would say you were in, despite them not actually being detailed ingame(just a plain sand texture over the seafloor). That northern Y-shaped safe shallows was a valley in the map that extended down 300 meters and deeper with tall walls leading up to around 50 meters along the north, east, and southwest edges (obviously a precursor to the floating islands biome). I was searching for any and all Subnautica maps a while ago and I also found two similar maps in the files of earlier versions of the game.

The first looks like something between yours and the modern map, note the Y-shaped twisty bridges biome that replaces safe shallows, the appearance of the crash zone biome, and inclusion of the void as it existed ingame;
    b8tg01x74l96.png

And while I have no clue to the second I suspect it's from an even older build of the game. Of note is the safe shallows looking similar to these other older maps;
    1h3ahbn9ahrc.png
    w509kx2ini5q.png
    I would love if a dev could offer any insight to the "older" one, it almost looks as if was hurriedly made in MSPaint but is located in a separate folder from the main game with its own matching set of map files (Build17 as opposed to Build18). For some reason I have an obsession over collecting maps of Subnautica and analyzing them to learn more about the changes it has undergone so I would greatly appreciate any insights.
    Wooooooow... just WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited January 2017
    pie1055 wrote: »
    1h3ahbn9ahrc.png
    w509kx2ini5q.png

Why do I have just the vaguest of memories of this?

I swear I've seen it before, it's on the tip of my tongue, but just out of reach.

Seriously, can someone tell me where this map came from, its going to drive me crazy for so long if I don't figure this out.
  • snwgamersnwgamer Join Date: 2017-01-14 Member: 226724Members
  • Tom507Tom507 Join Date: 2017-09-01 Member: 232761Members
    Hi wanted to use the heightmap.r16 to make a 3d map in blender
    so i read somewhere, that one could import this (.r16) into photoshop, but it didn't work for me so i renamed it to (.raw) then it worked but this is the result and i dont think this is supposed to be this way (posted .png for easy of use) o6ijdgq8bjtd.png I think something like layers got lost in the process, because you can still kind of see the heightmap from the wiki in there, and something that could be underground, and of cours the Terraces.

If someone could tell me how i am supposed to interpret this that would be grand Thanks!
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    Following the instructions from this link; http://forum.world-machine.com/index.php?topic=3011.0
    You can open .r16 files without renaming by using the "Open as" functionality in photoshop, and selecting "Photoshop Raw".

In the import dialog, select 1 channel, 16bit, PC ordering, with 0 bytes header. You might need to specify dimensions if they're not square.

I got the following result;
    heightmap_zpsoxgfnufx.png

Perhaps this is closer to what you're looking for?
  • SouthernGorillaSouthernGorilla United States Join Date: 2017-07-26 Member: 232057Members
    Do we have a new map to reflect the recently added biomes? I'd be curious to see how it looks now.
  • Tom507Tom507 Join Date: 2017-09-01 Member: 232761Members
    edited November 2017
    That one is great thanks for that. The opening with photoshop never worked for me that way GREAT!

But are you shure thats the full resolution image since its just 1024 X 1024 and the raw i got out of it was 4096 X 4096
    and i believe sice matters in this case.
  • hhrhhrhhrhhr Russia Join Date: 2017-12-17 Member: 234462Members
    Hello.

I made maps based on game geometry for fun, maybe they will be useful. I can not use the img&link tag so far, so 2K maps -> xxxxs://imgur.com/a/xcA8h
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    hhrhhr wrote: »
    Hello.

I made maps based on game geometry for fun, maybe they will be useful. I can not use the img&link tag so far, so 2K maps -> https://imgur.com/a/xcA8h

^ Clicky
  • suspensionrailwaysuspensionrailway the best country Join Date: 2017-11-01 Member: 233804Members
    edited December 2017
    That biome map is also used for the printbiomes command, according to the source code.
    Updated maps: hxxps://imgur.com/a/PfpEQ

As some noticed, the previous map still had an entrance to the dungeon next to the "Aurora", which is not in the current version. Now more relevant game files were used.

Jesus, how did you make that?!?
  • CaptagearCaptagear Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221804Members
    @hhrhhr dude that's crazy I am completely baffled how you did that! (you don't have to share ;))
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Updated maps: https://imgur.com/a/PfpEQ

As some noticed, the previous map still had an entrance to the dungeon next to the "Aurora", which is not in the current version. Now more relevant game files were used.

• RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Updated maps: https://imgur.com/a/PfpEQ

Still silently fume to myself over the Aurora/Dunes thing from time to time :heartbreak:

Really, reaally cool map there though, love maps like that~