I want more plants & corals to be scannable/harvestable

Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
I don't know if many of you actually care, but I want more plants to be scannable and harvestable. There are loads of cool plants & corals so here's my list. Of all of the following, I want to be scannable, and those marked with a (*) should be harvestable. Also note that I'm taking notes from an xbox version, so if some of these are scannable in PC please let me know.

Coral tubes: I mean, they're so common that it's weird that you can't scan them
latest?cb=20150920131527

Shell plates (*): definitely need to be harvestable, they look awesome
latest?cb=20150920171714

Slanted shell plates: something we actually need for resources, of course it needs to be scannable
latest?cb=20150922203341

Table coral: as above
latest?cb=20151019205229

Brown coral tubes: one of the more weirder ones on this list, but maybe they could be scannable?
latest?cb=20150920124426

Brain coral: they might not give anything but they're pretty common
latest?cb=20150920121917

Red branches (*): they look sturdy enough to be harvestable although on second thought, they do seem pretty skinny
latest?cb=20151019201202

Floating stones: I mean come on! Look at them! Although they seem way too complicated to harvest, at least let us scan them!
latest?cb=20151019145008

Green reeds (*): they're just so beautiful! I want some in my growbed!
latest?cb=20151019150819

Treespawn: again, complicated to harvest, but scanning them would be nice
latest?cb=20151019205706

Grue glusters: as above
latest?cb=20151019151254

Blue coral tubes (*): definitely need to be harvestable, their design is just so well done!
latest?cb=20150920120540

The following plants are not named, and the pics are screenshots.

Those... whatever they're called... mushroom caps thingys look cool, don't they?
pqjwtgnp7oh0.png

I feel like these actually have a name, but I can't think of it. What could it be?
5g7u02748yyd.png

Definitely need to be harvestable, they look awesome (*)
gow82snazxg5.png

This one might be more complicated to harvest, but I wanna scan it
wuheklngfcse.png

I want one of these! (*)
bdnrhx6p4snb.png

Now these ones are definitely my favourites. If I don't get to grow some, Imma... I don't know what I'll do, but I'll do something! (*)
um8f6271xbc0.png

Did I miss any?

Comments

• Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    Ah yeah, I forgot the ghost trees. Not harvestable of course, but an encyclopedia entry would be nice.
    9641es0abyrb.png
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    Yes! Wholeheartedly agree with all of the suggestions. The more the better, I've always wanted a huge garden for my base...
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    edited January 2017
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    Coral tubes/slanted shell plates and table coral are scannable, but only after harvesting them. Just drop a sample and you should be able to scan it (it's that way in the PC version, I see no reason XB1 would be different). If I recall correctly, they were directly scannable pre-Machinery, but ever since have been stuck with that bug.

Ah yeah, I forgot about that. Now that you mention it, it doesring a bell that it's on xbox too. It's an annoying bug indeed tho, so yeah, would be nice to have that fixed.
    And I suppose you're missing the blue trees of the floating island, which I would personally love to grow inside my base as lantern-sized trees. Especially if they have the same glow strength as kelp seeds. Come to think of it, I think there's one or two surface plants more - simple green ones - not in the list. You can find them inside the planters in some wrecks too, so it only makes sense to me for them to have some interactivity.

Ah yes, I did forget those too. So you basicalle need these two:
    0nfnb2uymmoa.jpg
    I think that in due time we should get another type of indoors planter for floating plants like the ones in the Lost River. Of course we should then also get more floating plants, but I want to see one or two on the surface anyway. Plus, Lilypad Islands.

You've just given me an idea. Some time ago, I did a suggestion for a new kind of plant:

My idea was to have a sponge-like plant which conatantly smokes out a bioluminescent liquid, but you've made me update this idea. What if they could float on the brine in the lost river, and smoke out a bit of it, as it it was feeding on some chemical found inside the brine? That'd be cool to have, right?
    There's a new plant in the new Dunes-2nd BKZ transition zone in experimental. It sorta looks like the red branches but with a yellow bladder around it.

@DrownedOut Could you post a screenshot of it please? I wanna see it!
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    5h8v1ib924jz.png

Pff, had to scavenge Discord around 23 Dec for this. It's a beaut, though.
    Ah yes, I did forget those too. So you basically need these two:
    0nfnb2uymmoa.jpg

Yes, they'd make for excellent decoration. But I'm also talking about all the green non-tree plants. That split leaf philodendron is one of those I mentioned to be able to be found inside a wreck too. Wreck [320 -66 431], if I'm not mistaken.
    You've just given me an idea. Some time ago, I did a suggestion for a new kind of plant:

My idea was to have a sponge-like plant which constantly smokes out a bioluminescent liquid, but you've made me update this idea. What if they could float on the brine in the lost river, and smoke out a bit of it, as it it was feeding on some chemical found inside the brine? That'd be cool to have, right?

That'd be majorly cool. I certainly won't complain about more plants "doing" something.
  • SansTheSkelebroSansTheSkelebro Italy Join Date: 2016-04-27 Member: 216071Members
    I think you can scan the corals once you cut them and drop them.
    edited January 2017
    Found another one in the koosh zone:
    0hzp5oqbmhtq.jpg

And something else. The giant floaters are not flora, I know, and you can scan the normal floaters. But there is an apparant difference between differently sized koosh bushes, and each can be scanned individually, so why not the giant floaters?

Also, dayum that is a beauty, innit!
    5h8v1ib924jz.png

• TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    I hope it'll be possible to harvest the grue cluster and plant them.
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    what about the titan floaters on the island
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    I'd like to be able to plant or grow a few more of them (especially island plants). It'd also be neat to get island noises in my little garden.
    @phantomfinch I'd like to scan them as individuals who are different to normal floaters. A bit like the different-sized koosh bushes.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    I know it sounds weird, but I'd like to scan the walls of the Inactive Lava Zone and the walls of Precursor Bases. Scanning the walls could tell you about damage sustained, foreshadowing the Dragon in the area.

Now, let's talk Precursors! Ever since it talked about how the bases were made of an ultra hard metal amalgamate I've wanted to know more. Then I found out it was an off-world resource and I've wanted to know even MORE. Let us scan these metals, because contrary to some other gamers I love reading about the lore and the story, and even the data entries of all of the creatures and plants. I've got an idea of what it could say when you do scan the amalgam:

"This metal, or perhaps the metals required to synthesise this new amalgam, was shipped to 4546B by an extinct race of hyper-intelligent lifeforms. It is not known if the metal was created on or off world, although resistance to ware in the salt water suggests it was modified for the sole purpose of underwater use.

Although there are no exact matches to known metals in my database, the closest I can find is that of the Keronax metal, refined on Obraxis Prime before the massacre. This massacre killed the workers in nearly every Keronax mine and refinery on the planet, due to trade disputes with the Trade Lord Julian. After this event the Keronax refineries became abandoned, and since the metal was used in much weaponry many trade empires fell with the Keronax refineries. It is possible a hyper-intelligent lifeform scavenged Keronax from the planet and modified it for use on 4546B."

I know I'm stitching a whole new bit of lore onto the game here, but I just think it would be really cool if we knew more about the Obraxis rime massacre and how the Precursors found this metal and shipped it onto the world. Just my thoughts and ideas :)
  • DagonDagon Earth Join Date: 2016-03-21 Member: 214648Members
    Yes! I've always wanted to be able to harvest and scan more plants!
  • moronwsubmarinemoronwsubmarine Austin, TX Join Date: 2016-12-16 Member: 225030Members
    I found a bunch of nonscannable (but oddly, destructable) plants/corals near the Giant Mushroom tree near lifepod 13. I sent a bunch of F8 feedback that it would be really nice to able to gather them for decoration.

Brown tubes
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/subnautica-unknownworlds-com/feedback-ticket-images/1484027121-c780594cf637666e.jpg

Yellow stalks
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/subnautica-unknownworlds-com/feedback-ticket-images/1484027161-c780594cf637666e.jpg

Pink bulbs
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/subnautica-unknownworlds-com/feedback-ticket-images/1484027234-c780594cf637666e.jpg

Also, an exterior pot would be excellent. I mean, do we really need 3 different interior pots? I want a pot for outside so I can plant single items. :)
  • TurielDTurielD Netherlands Join Date: 2017-01-05 Member: 226185Members
    I'd be happy if the devs crowdsourced PDA entries... I'm sure there's a lot of fans that could do a good job of these.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    I don't know if many of you actually care, but I want more plants to be scannable and harvestable. There are loads of cool plants & corals so here's my list. Of all of the following, I want to be scannable, and those marked with a (*) should be harvestable. Also note that I'm taking notes from an xbox version, so if some of these are scannable in PC please let me know.

ok, so a hobby of mine used to be writing down all my observations about a Subnautica animal and then speculating at what its adaptations did... I've since mostly stopped due to the addition of scanning. I'm no botanist, but I'd like to give that process a try with some of these! If these objects are going to be scannable, maybe I can provide some basis for the scan cards. Most of these are pretty short, just a potential basis for information and some hypotheses.

Pre-script Post-script (PS,PS:)
    If anyone out there is a real botanist, please feel free to assist in speculating about these plants/corals, etc!

The list is kind of long, so I'll put it in a spoiler:
    Coral tubes: I mean, they're so common that it's weird that you can't scan them
    latest?cb=20150920131527

Seemingly normal coral, correlates to corals on earth. Polyps form in a circular pattern, occasionally branching off to form half-spheres. Half spheres could potentially break off to form other, new corals? Might explain dispersion of coral shell plates along the bottom in conjunction with the giant coral tubes.
    -Inside polished, possibly caused by erosion due to currents?
    - some kind of creature frequently passing through the center?
    -more investigation necessary
    Shell plates (*): definitely need to be harvestable, they look awesome
    latest?cb=20150920171714

Coral/plant type fauna, veins running out from center provide nutrients to the rest of the plant
    -pits and holes throughout the structure of the plant
    -potential predation by herbivorous fauna?
    Slanted shell plates: something we actually need for resources, of course it needs to be scannable
    latest?cb=20150922203341

Small, slanted plates of coral similar in appearance to the coral tubes/other shell plates
    -grow diagonally in the ground
    -possibly deposited from the current, causing the diagonal growth
    -possibly also grow diagonally naturally

-ground and soil appears upturned around coral, indicating possible fast growth that displaces the soil
    -Possible juvinile stage of coral tubes?
    Table coral: as above
    latest?cb=20151019205229

Small coral, similar to the coral shell plate, growing horizontally on any rock surface
    -small mineralized particulates appear embedded in the coral's main body, appear to consist of materials necessary for technological components. (<-- would make sense why they are needed in the computer chip recipe)
    -these minerals could possibly be natural excretions of the coral
    Brown coral tubes: one of the more weirder ones on this list, but maybe they could be scannable?
    latest?cb=20150920124426

Brown coral that grows straight upwards, forming tubes
    -could potentially be more closely related to sponges, as it appears to have tubes conducive to water currents throughout the main structure
    -said tubes could potentially be the main way of extracting nutrients from the water
    Brain coral: they might not give anything but they're pretty common
    latest?cb=20150920121917

A large coral, seemingly closely related to the purple brain corals which excrete oxygen
    -these ones secrete nothing
    -pores not large enough or specialized enough to be used to secrete anything

Ok, so there were kind of a lot of these, so after here I just did my favorite ones
    Floating stones: I mean come on! Look at them! Although they seem way too complicated to harvest, at least let us scan them!
    latest?cb=20151019145008

Gigantic mineral deposits that have a lower density than water, supported by a series of vine-like plant structures
    -no stones spotted on surface, so probably have a symbiotic relationship with the vines
    -once vines break, stone must sink (and/or disintigrate?), similarly no stray vines are seen on the seafloor, indicating that if the stone is otherwise removed the vines retract and/or die

Hypothesis:
    1. stones form underneath ocean floor, created when minerals of a lighter density than water coagulate
    2. stones, as they grow (possibly grown through excretion of vines?), gradually breach surface of ocean floor
    3. vines grow, attracted to the minerals (or growing the minerals since the creation of the stone), and restrain stone from floating up prematurely
    4. vines create a mesh around stone, as it grows it is restrained to the seafloor by the vines, causing the visible structures in-game

vines would achieve better respiration in the current, and greater access to light, from this process- as they are raised off the ground as the stone grows

If anyone has any hypotheses, please tell! I'd love to hear what you all have to think about the floating stones, because they're a mystery to me!
    Grue glusters: as above
    latest?cb=20151019151254

Clusters of lifeforms that form in chains along structures
    -appear to have a fungi-based appearance, with a definitive "head" and "stalk"
    -additionally, these grow in colonies. Potentially are linked similarly to a fungus network?
    -Bright bioluminescence, possibly advertising toxicity
    I feel like these actually have a name, but I can't think of it. What could it be?
    5g7u02748yyd.png

Small, jelly-like attachments to mushroom trees that are vaguely purple-pinkish in hue
    -potentially not a plant, but the relative of the floater
    -both are pinkish/purplish
    -both are jellylike

-does not float, possibly because it lacks membrane of floater?
    -no visuals on underside, but if it is a relative of the floater, it could have a mouth
    -could be a parasitic organism, feeds on trees?
    -small tentacles extending from base to attach to tree?

I put these two together, they look similar: I'll call them "ghost stumps," because "ghost tree" is already taken
    Definitely need to be harvestable, they look awesome (*)
    gow82snazxg5.png

Lava-ghost-stump:

-grows near heat sources, appears to have veins structured up the main trunk; small, brightly glowing (hot?) tips

HYPOTHESIS:
    -main "trunk" is not in fact a trunk, and is, in fact, a small thermal vent (grows very deep/very close to ILZ)
    -small species of vine grows up the side of the thermal vent, draws its energy from the heat of the thermal vent/nutrients spewed out from it
    -in absence of light, this would probably be one of the only ways for plants to survive

-glowing "tip" is potentially either:
    -heat-resistant tip of plant that gathers nutrients from thermal vent

-glowing, molten tip of thermal vent itself (I like the first one)
    This one might be more complicated to harvest, but I wanna scan it
    wuheklngfcse.png

Small, lilypad-like organism that makes its home in between the acid brine and the normal water
    -root-like structure extending in cone under surface of brine
    -small "pad" on the top, surrounded by fringes, brightly bioluminescent

-draws nutrients from brine?
    -potential use for root structure

-fringes along edges of pad help keep the plant afloat in the brine

-bioluminescent pad?
    -purpose? (anyone have any educated guesses?)
    I want one of these! (*)
    bdnrhx6p4snb.png

Ghost stump:
    a very resistant species, similar to ghost tree, that grows inside the lost river brine. Possesses thick stalk, and brightly-lit bioluminescent branches above the brine

-thick trunk to counteract the acidic properties of brine
    -possibly draws nutrients from brine as well as soil

HYPOTHESIS:
    -branches some of brightest in the "ghost tree" family- only one with brighter branches is the ghost tree itself, which also grows in brine
    -highly luminescent particle/nutrient/element in the brine
    -the closer the plant is to a source of brine, the more of these nutrients it absorbs
    -all species of ghost tree filter nutrient out and concentrate it in outer branches
    -nutrient toxic to plants?
    -trees that are closest to, or in the brine, have the brightest branches as they absorb the most nutrients

-hypothesis would also explain the ambient lighting in the lost river, and the fact that the brine seems to slightly glow...
    Now these ones are definitely my favourites. If I don't get to grow some, Imma... I don't know what I'll do, but I'll do something! (*)
    um8f6271xbc0.png

Ghost mushroom:

type of fungus found deep in cave systems, appears to experience color bleaching similarly to deep shrooms. Body almost fully transparent, connected by a web of bioluminescent veins.

-veins transport nutrients around body
    -bioluminescence from nutrients in the surrounding area?
    -potentially similar to "ghost tree" hypothesis
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Just came across this video by Awesomecrunch featuring the Bloom Plankton, which I'd not even heard of until now. Interesting stuff.

• subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Just came across this video by Awesomecrunch featuring the Bloom Plankton, which I'd not even heard of until now. Interesting stuff.

Looks like they have some sort of hive mind, or are like extremely high-speed schooling fish. The way they all move in sync like that... Additionally, I had heard that they retained the color of the light they were most recently exposed to. I can think of another cause for their schooling motion, as well; they could have the AI and shape of a large creature like a reefback, and the entire body moves as one.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited August 2017
    A little late, but these are a couple plants I'd like to add to the list:

Purple Pinecone
    These things are found everywhere in the Deep Grand Reef and even drop items, so I feel like they're important enough to scan.
    500?cb=20170625232157

These little flower-like corals
    While they are small they do look pretty cool, so I think they should be scannable.
    5KOcVdu.png

"Blue Pinecone"
    These things are found very commonly in the BKZ and Lost River and glow really brightly, and I'd like to know more about them.
    PUaSWgv.png

Yellow Fan Plant (*)
    You should be able to both grow and scan these things. 5olvawmxx1h9.png

"Lost River Cave Coral" (*)
    I really like the look of these things and would love to be able to scan as well as grow them.
    768?cb=20170628164936

"Lost River Brine Coral" (*)
    Same as above.
    768?cb=20170628165112

Giant Floater
    While not a plant at all, I'm still surprised you can't scan them already.
    ybciaCJ.png
  • LulzesLulzes Join Date: 2017-07-25 Member: 232050Members
    Found another one in the koosh zone:
    0hzp5oqbmhtq.jpg

Looks like they have some sort of hive mind, or are like extremely high-speed schooling fish. The way they all move in sync like that... Additionally, I had heard that they retained the color of the light they were most recently exposed to. I can think of another cause for their schooling motion, as well; they could have the AI and shape of a large creature like a reefback, and the entire body moves as one.

Personally I find the effect a bit unrealistic, how could any organism get through the water so quickly? It is still in development, hopefully it'll be a bit more fluid once they're done with it (if they actually add it).
  • LulzesLulzes Join Date: 2017-07-25 Member: 232050Members
    Avimimus wrote: »
    I'd like to be able to plant or grow a few more of them (especially island plants). It'd also be neat to get island noises in my little garden.

Aren't those "island noises" mainly the bird things? There was talk af adding more birds in the future, and to be able to have a tame bird.... arrrr maties!
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Lulzes wrote: »
    Avimimus wrote: »

Aren't those "island noises" mainly the bird things? There was talk af adding more birds in the future, and to be able to have a tame bird.... arrrr maties!

Great, next thing ya know somebody will want this...

B)
    You can now scan:
    • Those slime pillars in the Lost River (now called Pyrocoral)
    • Those amoeba-like life forms in the Lost River (now called Amoeboids)
    • The brown and blue flora in the Bone Fields (now called Crab Claw Kelp)
    • The lilypad-like flora floating in the brine by the Bone Fields (now called Brine Lilies)
    • Floating stones (now called Anchor Pods)
    so we can cross those off the list now.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    You can now scan:
    • Those slime pillars in the Lost River (now called Pyrocoral)
    • Those amoeba-like life forms in the Lost River (now called Amoeboids)
    • The brown and blue flora in the Bone Fields (now called Crab Claw Kelp)
    • The lilypad-like flora floating in the brine by the Bone Fields (now called Brine Lilies)
    • Floating stones (now called Anchor Pods)
    so we can cross those off the list now.

Also Coral Tubes.
    Also Coral Tubes.

But can you scan them just as they are, or must you still cut off a piece and scan that to, open the data bank entry?

Anyway, if that's the case then (according to wikia) we only need the data banks of the coral shell plate, jordi's tung, earthen coral tubes, spotted reeds, treespawn, grue gluster and purple pinecone; and those are only those with wikia pages. Others we still need are:

"flower coral"
    http://i.imgur.com/5KOcVdu.png

"blue pinecone"
    http://i.imgur.com/PUaSWgv.png

yellow fan plant
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5019629/uploads/editor/bq/5olvawmxx1h9.png

giant floater
    http://i.imgur.com/ybciaCJ.png

island trees
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5019629/uploads/editor/p1/0nfnb2uymmoa.jpg

this
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5019629/uploads/editor/jm/5h8v1ib924jz.png

ghost trees
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5019629/uploads/editor/55/9641es0abyrb.png

edited September 2017
    Oh I forgot, they added an entry for giant floaters (now called Ancient Floaters) as well.
    Biodata suggests these vast floaters have matured in an ingenious symbiosis with the land and ecosystems they have attached to.
    • The attached landmass is raised in the water, increasing sunlight and encouraging plantgrowth
    • The floater likely leeches a composite of organic residues and minerals from the rock itself
    • These circumstances must have held for thousands of years for the floaters to reach this size

Also Coral Tubes.

But can you scan them just as they are, or must you still cut off a piece and scan that to, open the data bank entry?

Anyway, if that's the case then (according to wikia) we only need the data banks of the coral shell plate, jordi's tung, earthen coral tubes, spotted reeds, treespawn, grue gluster and purple pinecone; and those are only those with wikia pages. Others we still need are:

"flower coral"
    http://i.imgur.com/5KOcVdu.png

"blue pinecone"
    http://i.imgur.com/PUaSWgv.png

yellow fan plant
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5019629/uploads/editor/bq/5olvawmxx1h9.png

giant floater
    http://i.imgur.com/ybciaCJ.png

island trees
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5019629/uploads/editor/p1/0nfnb2uymmoa.jpg

this
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5019629/uploads/editor/jm/5h8v1ib924jz.png

ghost trees
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5019629/uploads/editor/55/9641es0abyrb.png
    Don't forget the Yellow Brain Coral, Brine Coral, and Lost River Cave Coral.
    edited September 2017
    Oh I didn't see that data bank entry. Neato.
    edited September 2017
    I wonder if it would be worth it to give skull corals their own entry as well. They stand out a lot which means most players would want to scan them, but it might be a little too much work seeing as they'd have to remove the skull corals from the two skull models, and it's still kind of small. Maybe if the art people have some time to do extra stuff before v1.0 they could get an entry.
  • MaxAstroMaxAstro Join Date: 2005-07-07 Member: 55451Members
    I will definitely pitch in that one of the things that originally attracted me to this game was "scan all the things! read the cool data entries! feel like a scientist on an alien planet!", and I'm always disappointed when I run into a cool looking plant I can't scan.

...Not half as disappointed as I was when I found out you can't scan the gliders, though. Took me SO LONG find one in range... xD