Scanner Room Actually Being Useful

747snoodles747snoodles United States Join Date: 2016-09-12 Member: 222259Members
Attach scanners to the little bots as an upgrade, otherwise its kind of useless to build an entire base just to explore when you can do that in the Cyclops.

Comments

• smellslikebleachsmellslikebleach Join Date: 2016-12-22 Member: 225337Members
    According to the low range of the scanner bots this room in my opinion it useless at the moment.
  • andrewcandrewc Join Date: 2016-12-20 Member: 225231Members
    edited January 2017
    I also feel that scanner room is useless. Other than spying on a leviathan for a few minutes of fun... what else is the point?

Maybe if the world was more dangerous and you wanted to scout ahead it could be fun.
  • BeckysFootSlaveBeckysFootSlave Germany Join Date: 2016-12-27 Member: 225560Members
    Attach scanners to the little bots as an upgrade, otherwise its kind of useless to build an entire base just to explore when you can do that in the Cyclops.

What do you mean with scanner?
    because you said that a scanner for the seamoth is not a good Idea and now you want scanner for those bots?

To make this room USEFUL it would be cool if you scanned for a material and can harvest it with one of those bots even if the storage is just 4x4 big!

I don't know? I also don't know what to do with this room?
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    I say the scanner room should have more upgrades. For the first two are like how the MK works for the sea moth and prawn suit. Where you can take the speed upgrade or the range upgrade and make it even better. So you can have a range upgrade level 3 and a sor we'd upgrade level 3. Also an upgrade that will allow the cameras to scan fragments. So you scan them from a safer area. And if you upgraded it the camerca can scan fragments and plants, upgrade it after that to scan Fauna. And an upgrade that allows the cameras to go even further.
  • andrewcandrewc Join Date: 2016-12-20 Member: 225231Members
    The scanner room is useful only for finding resources and possibly eggs but this data needs to be sent to vehicles hud.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    The data doesn't get sent to the vehicles hud. It gets sent to the scanner room. And we know what it is use for. It can find resources, eggs and fauna (I used one to track a pet reaper I spawned in) this theard is about making it better because it isn't that great
  • smellslikebleachsmellslikebleach Join Date: 2016-12-22 Member: 225337Members
    I thought thats was more a request of andrewc that data needs to be sent to vehicles hud not a statement.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    There is an upgrade that allows the data to be added to the player's hud, does that count? The range needs to be considerably larger for me to find it terribly useful, however.
  • Notagain72Notagain72 Russia Join Date: 2017-01-05 Member: 226182Members
    I have one suggestion which I think would be quite useful. It would be great if there is an option to turn the scanner room drones into stationary beacons that would be visible in the world. Another option is for the drone to automatically enter the beacon mode the moment it goes out of range - this way it would be easier to find the out of range drones and pick them up. Also, searching for cave entrances, underwater wrecks, etc. would be much easier - you find it with a drone and switch on the beacon mode, then you have marked the location for future exploration in a seamoth or cyclops.
  • watergirl16watergirl16 usa Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213886Members
    I find the scanner to be pretty useless. I have stopped building it. It doesn't find the materials I need it too and it reports materials that arent' even there. Like my base always has a couple of metal scraps.

It needs to be more accurate.
    The range needs to be extended.

What I would love to see ,, if the scanner room is ever functional, is that you can build them in different biomes and link them.
  • MalsqueekMalsqueek United States Join Date: 2016-05-17 Member: 216835Members
    edited January 2017
    Oh yeah.

- Differentiate drones: Scanners, Scouters, and Miners
    - Change the "Scanner Room" name to "Remote Control Room" (or some such)
    - Room itself no longer does the scanning, just controls stuff
    - Have 4 slots of "processing power"
    - Drones are stored in a bay (Locker), and launched using the center console
    - Drones use 1 slot of processing power (or two in the case of the Mining drone) to operate
    - Allow Scanner rooms to network scanning commands, painted resources, and mining controls to 1Km distant (eg, 2 scanner rooms must be no more than 1 km apart and you can issue commands between them)

- Honestly, if this room also inherited the ability to manually control power functions around your base (like turning off Desalination stations or if it moderated the use of Nuclear and Bio Reactors while the base was uninhabited) that alone would make the room worthwhile.

-Scanner Drones:
    - Automated search within a 350m range for defined resources
    - Scanners "paint" resource nodes for display in vehicle HUD
    - sent out one at a time from scanner rooms, to either scan for multiple different things or more quickly find a single thing

- Scouting Drones:
    - Can be manually controlled and left on site as a beacon
    - "General Scan' could be done which sends out the probes to look for "noteworthy areas" like caves, wrecks, etc

-Resource Drone:
    - Requires 2 processing power slots
    - Collects painted resources (at a relatively slow pace, still faster to do it yourself)
    - Deposits to a locker in the Scanner Room

- Room upgrades (two slots maximum):
    - Base Power Efficiency (either extra storage or reduced static power usage)
    - Drone Range Increase (to 750m)
    - Extra Drone Processing Power (2 extra slots)
    - Network Range Increase (to 1.5Km)
  • donvdpdonvdp Netherlands Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226031Members
    edited January 2017
    Malsqueek wrote: »
    Oh yeah.

Malsqueek's post inspired me. And i would like to extend his post with my own ideas!

It deservs its own thread, so i made one here http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/147181/scanner-room-player-upgrade-and-drones#latest