Map Fragments

TenTonBlueTenTonBlue Join Date: 2017-01-04 Member: 226086Members
It seems like a lot of people are wanting some sort of map system, but I also understand this would tend to hurt exploration in the game. I've tried to come up with a solution that could benefit both.

Basically the idea would be to have a blank map that over time you would be able to fill out by finding map pieces/fragments, just like you would find other fragments in the game. They could be implemented into the wrecks, or PDA, whatever would be most appropriate just so long as you aren't literally handed a map. Basically one map fragment would uncover a portion of the map that would also include another map fragment so they would chain together to fill out the map. I'm not saying it should tell you the exact location of the next fragment, but there should be some indication that the next map fragment would be in the portion of the map that you just uncovered.

I feel like this would be an appropriate way to implement a map to the game while actually increasing the need/desire to explore more.

Sorry if this has already been suggested, im rather new here. I looked through the first few pages and saw some map suggestion threads, but they didn't really touch on this implementation method.

Comments

• subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    TenTonBlue wrote: »
    It seems like a lot of people are wanting some sort of map system, but I also understand this would tend to hurt exploration in the game. I've tried to come up with a solution that could benefit both.

Basically the idea would be to have a blank map that over time you would be able to fill out by finding map pieces/fragments, just like you would find other fragments in the game. They could be implemented into the wrecks, or PDA, whatever would be most appropriate just so long as you aren't literally handed a map. Basically one map fragment would uncover a portion of the map that would also include another map fragment so they would chain together to fill out the map. I'm not saying it should tell you the exact location of the next fragment, but there should be some indication that the next map fragment would be in the portion of the map that you just uncovered.

I feel like this would be an appropriate way to implement a map to the game while actually increasing the need/desire to explore more.

Sorry if this has already been suggested, im rather new here. I looked through the first few pages and saw some map suggestion threads, but they didn't really touch on this implementation method.

Seems like a nice idea to implement, I would agree with any map option that only unlocks the map as you play.
  • andrewcandrewc Join Date: 2016-12-20 Member: 225231Members
    Yeah man, I just want to see on a map where I have been in order to go where I have not...
  • smellslikebleachsmellslikebleach Join Date: 2016-12-22 Member: 225337Members
    Very nice idea! It's maybe a kind of ancient artefact system. First you collect the parts then you have to assemble them (puzzle system). Finally you recieve a small part of the map.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    If Key/Quest signals via the Comm. Relay didn't disappear after navigating to them, and Beacons were more abundant (maybe found in each lifepod), I can see a lot less of a need for an actual map while still facilitating navigation/exploration
  • lucashc90lucashc90 Brazil Join Date: 2017-01-05 Member: 226176Members
    I think that, if a map system would be implemented, it should be a progressive map that is completed by exploring. We shouldn't take something as a map for granted, because we would not explore the game, what we were supposed to do.
  • 999Antonio3849999Antonio3849 Emperor Aquarium Join Date: 2016-10-23 Member: 223324Members
    A map like the minecraft map system would be nice it starts empty but as you explore it gets mapped it would be useful if you have to remember what happended at this location and beacons signals and stuff would show up on it
  • lucashc90lucashc90 Brazil Join Date: 2017-01-05 Member: 226176Members
    edited January 2017
    That's what I was talking about
  • SerpentMaster1000SerpentMaster1000 Utah, USA Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226053Members
    In order to keep exploration a thing maybe you are given a blank map that, as you explore a part of the game, that part gets filled in on the map.
  • watergirl16watergirl16 usa Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213886Members
    edited January 2017
    I think a map like in Minecraft would really work here. It fills in whatever area you have been in, for just a few meters around you. But I definetly would like to have some kind of map.

Or maybe the scanner could come in use here. Start building small scanner bases in different areas that read the area and uploads it to the HUB chip interface.

PS. I see antonio333 beat me to the Minecraft map idea. Great minds think alike!

but whatever method it is employed, I am 110% in favor of a map.
  • donvdpdonvdp Netherlands Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 226031Members
    I think a map like in Minecraft would really work here. It fills in whatever area you have been in, for just a few meters around you. But I definetly would like to have some kind of map.......

I agree, i have descibed this same functionality within my own post. This also adds the feature to have scout drones gather map data for you, and mark POI (Points Or Interest) on your map. As to not hurt the 'Go Explore' attitude that makes this game awesome!

See and add support for this idea here!
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/147181/scanner-room-player-upgrade-and-drones
  • Sycobat86Sycobat86 Join Date: 2017-01-04 Member: 226081Members
    Great idea, but you have the seamoth with the scanner extra. if you scan your surrounding area with the scanner it should upload it to a mapping system that can be checked when ever and then manually upload it to the scanner room to save the progress of your map. The scanner room should also have and option to view the map in a bigger map view and control from there.